all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Original strength only programing?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kenaces

Level 5 Valued Member
I have been using the OS resets as a warmup for years but I never tried to make crawling the centerpiece of my training. Due to a recent injury, I am thinking of giving this a try for a month or two. I have read several of Tim's books and he emphasizes accumulating crawling time as his main "lift".

My plan would be daily OS resets + 10 minutes of crawling for time 3 days/week + slowly add volume to easy cardio(walking/bike/stairmill/rower) while my hip heals up.

I know there are other people in this forum who have experience with OS. So has anyone tried this? Results? Any advice? Thoughts?

Have not tried, but do use OS often in warmups. I would be interested to hear others' experience of doing this and then re-testing some of their lifts to see changes.

I have been using the OS resets as a warmup for years but I never tried to make crawling the centerpiece of my training. Due to a recent injury, I am thinking of giving this a try for a month or two. I have read several of Tim's books and he emphasizes accumulating crawling time as his main "lift".

My plan would be daily OS resets + 10 minutes of crawling for time 3 days/week + slowly add volume to easy cardio(walking/bike/stairmill/rower) while my hip heals up.

I know there are other people in this forum who have experience with OS. So has anyone tried this? Results? Any advice? Thoughts?

I did a month of crawling and bent pressing on alternating days a while back. Had good results overall and it really tied my body together. I would probably will do a month of crawling when the weather will get a little better.

@kenaces : I have often considered doing a month of crawling only. I think it is difficult to program it. However, maybe we should not overcomplicate it.

Strong people such as Tim Anderson or Aleks Salkin have done months or even years of crawling only with great success.

I would say just do as much as you can and keep having fun doing it. The recent Crawlidays Challenge of Alek Salkin might be a good fit: It has a lot of variety and aims at 10 minutes of crawling everyday and combines it with other resets: InnerCircle

The GMB Elements might be another good option. I enjoyed doing it.

I think crawling will maintain and even build your strength since it happens to take the breaks off of your strength.

@kenaces : I have often considered doing a month of crawling only. I think it is difficult to program it. However, maybe we should not overcomplicate it.

I would say just do as much as you can and keep having fun doing it.

There are some suggests for programming the OS books but they aren't very specific. My plan is to just play around with crawling. The goal of 10 minutes of leopard crawling seems VERY hard but maybe I will feel different after a month of working on this :)

@Bauer post in the waiter walk thread is relevant to this question. In the link Tim talks about "loaded gait" - which includes, but isn't limited to, crawls.

Thanks. That book and other resources I found online suggest programming around crawls and carries. For now, I am not sure my hip will tolerate much load for carries but as it gets better I might try adding in carries. Seems like some light bottom-up KB carries should be a reasonable first choice.

I've been crawling for years with great success, especially during periods due to injury when I could do little else but OS and crawls. See Ladders Reloaded thread of Sep 2015 posts #1 and #5. Crawling can make you quite strong. It is a cross lateral pushing/pulling/squatting/loaded carry action.

For a long time I did 5 minutes a day of Spiderman crawls but have been doing 10 minute crawls every other day of late. I always do them Fore and Aft, i.e., forward and backwards for equal time. It is easy to progress and add variety to your crawls. Start out with baby crawls to set a baseline. Go as long as comfortable for a period, then reverse direction, etc. Later, add Bird Dogs to the baby crawls. Start with Baby Crawls as a base, then do a period of Leopard or Spiderman Crawls for a minute or so (both directions) until you can build up more time.

When unable to go outside, I do a lot of crawling in the house, finding challenging routes and constant changes of direction. I am also able to do loaded crawling in the house by dragging a KB or putting 2 or more in a plastic box on which I added a loop. While this loaded work is better with a harness, I originally used a belt around my waist with a nylon strap to attach the KB or improvised sled. In many ways this is harder and more challenging than loaded crawling outside due to the frequent direction changes required. Be advised that loaded crawling in the house is inherently dangerous and requires you to be especially alert.

Last edited:
I've been crawling for years with great success, especially during periods due to injury when I could do little else but OS and crawls. See Ladders Reloaded thread of Sep 2015 posts #1 and #5. Crawling can make you quite strong. It is a cross lateral pushing/pulling/squatting/loaded carry action.

For a long time I did 5 minutes a day of Spiderman crawls but have been doing 10 minute crawls every other day of late. I always do them Fore and Aft, i.e., forward and backwards for equal time. It is easy to progress and add variety to your crawls. Start out with baby crawls to set a baseline. Go as long as comfortable for a period, then reverse direction, etc. Later, add Bird Dogs to the baby crawls. Start with Baby Crawls as a base, then do a period of Leopard or Spiderman Crawls for a minute or so (both directions) until you can build up more time.

When unable to go outside, I do a lot of crawling in the house, finding challenging routes and constant changes of direction. I am also able to do loaded crawling in the house by dragging a KB or putting 2 or more in a plastic box on which I added a loop. While this loaded work is better with a harness, I originally used a belt around my waist with a nylon strap to attach the KB or improvised sled. In many ways this is harder and more challenging than loaded crawling outside due to the frequent direction changes required. Be advised that loaded crawling in the house is inherently dangerous and requires you to be especially alert.

link to the above mentioned post, great stuff!

Ladders Reloaded

Thanks!

I can't say much more than has already been said above from these fine folks about crawling. I did go through the Aleks Salkin program that @Bauer mentioned. Crawling is harder than it looks, and one of those things that seems simple but is not once you get into harder versions, like crawling in a plank position, sideways.

@kenaces start slow, and build up like others have said. Do baby crawling, get your knees up to do leopard, if you feel yourself sagging or head dropping or can't maintain a nice regular breathing pattern just drop back to baby until you recover. Eventually your time will go up.

After 30 days of crawling I can say it definitely builds shoulder and ab strength, and a feeling of being more solid and coordinated. For warmups I had been very used to the S&S warmup with a few resets thrown in, nowadays I do pretty much just OS movements, with a few specific things thrown in (bretzels namely), and for me have pretty much replaced yoga with OS.

I can't say much more than has already been said above from these fine folks about crawling. I did go through the Aleks Salkin program that @Bauer mentioned. Crawling is harder than it looks, and one of those things that seems simple but is not once you get into harder versions, like crawling in a plank position, sideways.

@kenaces start slow, and build up like others have said. Do baby crawling, get your knees up to do leopard, if you feel yourself sagging or head dropping or can't maintain a nice regular breathing pattern just drop back to baby until you recover. Eventually your time will go up.

After 30 days of crawling I can say it definitely builds shoulder and ab strength, and a feeling of being more solid and coordinated. For warmups I had been very used to the S&S warmup with a few resets thrown in, nowadays I do pretty much just OS movements, with a few specific things thrown in (bretzels namely), and for me have pretty much replaced yoga with OS.

Thanks.

This concept has been mentioned in original strength performance. The book discusses using crawls (with load) carries and sometimes sprints as a stand-alone training program, or in addition to a 2-3 day traditional strength program. I have tried to latter and would like to know if anyone has tried the former.

This concept has been mentioned in original strength performance. The book discusses using crawls (with load) carries and sometimes sprints as a stand-alone training program, or in addition to a 2-3 day traditional strength program. I have tried to latter and would like to know if anyone has tried the former.
Last summer I did 3 weeks of crawling and hanging only (and some skipping and hill sprints and rucking), while on vacation. It really helped me to strengthen my weakest links which is important for transferring force from feet to hands etc. When there is a weak link power just leaks and everything gets weaker.

I really feel like it tied my body together, as they say. Helped me with lat activation and joint stabilization (especially hips and knees).

On some days I did 1-4 GTG crawls until technical failure (mouth breathing or poor movement). On others I just accumulated 5-10 minutes in submaximal sets.

What really helped was that I did this on a nice hill and explored crawling up and down and sideways in all kinds of ways. This way it was really interesting.

There are also some plans available on the website of OS Institute.

Last summer I did 3 weeks of crawling and hanging only (and some skipping and hill sprints and rucking), while on vacation. It really helped me to strengthen my weakest links which is important for transferring force from feet to hands etc. When there is a weak link power just leaks and everything gets weaker.

I really feel like it tied my body together, as they say. Helped me with lat activation and joint stabilization (especially hips and knees).

On some days I did 1-4 GTG crawls until technical failure (mouth breathing or poor movement). On others I just accumulated 5-10 minutes in submaximal sets.

What really helped was that I did this on a nice hill and explored crawling up and down and sideways in all kinds of ways. This way it was really interesting.

There are also some plans available on the website of OS Institute.

That's awesome, would you ever do this type of training again, even if you had access to your usual equipment? Also, thanks for the tip on the OS Institute website, I've never seen it before!

That's awesome, would you ever do this type of training again, even if you had access to your usual equipment? Also, thanks for the tip on the OS Institute website, I've never seen it before!
Good question. Probably yes. Possibly with 2 ballistic KB sessions per week.

But I guess I will be following S&S and maybe ROP for some time and thus only use crawling as the main event when I don't have access to other equipment - and when I have access to a nice lawn or hill.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom