all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Original strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

andrewswanson

Level 3 Valued Member
Quick background

- did S&S for about 10+ months before reaching simple

- have been doing the russian bear w/conventional DL and strict press for about 3 to 4 months with good progress. I am realizing I do not really have a need for this type of barbell strength in my day to day life. Actually starting to realize that bodyweight training my offer a much more applicable form of strength training and overall health.

- Thinking of switching to focus on Original Strength, wondering what others have experienced from focusing on that program?

I use os resets as a warm up before my 'bear' workouts. And have read a couple of the os books.

I was just curious as to some of the training effects those who have switched to practicing os as their workout, or who have dedicated a full training cycle to os and not just a warm up to before barbell or kb work?

I have been think that maybe expanding my os practice and using it as my workout instead of just my warm up might be a good option for me, but was curious to hear from those who have tried this?

Sorry if my post was unclear.

I have yet to do a pure OS program but to answer your question.. have you worked up to crawling 10 mins nonstop??

I saw a video where tim anderson did one mile of spiderman crawling. I don't know if one mile would be a good starting goal, but ten minutes of leopard crawling would be something really good to aim for. I usually do some nods and rocks, segmental rolling, and then a couple minutes of crawling before my workout.

thinking about doing the basic resets then working on elevated rolling, leopard crawling, etc and making a program out of that

@andrewswanson ... i think a lot of people here would be interested in the results you see if you do a complete program of OS. (I know I would) Please keep us posted. Thanks.

@offwidth sure thing

After thinking about it a little bit, I am going to continue using the basic resets as my warm up and then plan my program around super setting leopard crawling and elevated rolling. I like the idea of using these two because the crawling provides great anti-rotational core work while the elevated roll is the opposite (rotational work).

I will start with the goal suggested by @Mark Limbaga of shoting for 10 continuous minutes of crawling. I plan to start with with a basic progression by doing two minute sets and just slowly increasing the time over a few weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes

I previously did a program which was a DFSQ varient of KB Strong by Geoff Neupert with crawl sessions in between.
On my crawl days I worked up to 10mins baby crawling, then 10mins backwards baby, then approached 10mins leopard crawling. Every time I was getting to longer "sets" my abs were on fire the next day. It was fantastic.

I did 10 minutes of total work, using a stopwatch, which I stopped every time I needed to take a break.
Well worth it.

Probably a bit much to do leopard crawls with DFSQ though, quads had far too much stress on them.

You can get super strong with just OS. Once you can do 10 minutes of Leopard/Spiderman Crawling non stop and start loading the resets (Crawling with heavy chain dragging) you will get crazy strong. I got my OAPU from Backwards Chain loaded spiderman crawling.

thanks for the replies and advice. over the past couple weeks I have not really been able to follow a consistent plan and it doesn't look like I will able to be in tue near future.

focusing on crawling and resets have led me to feel more connected (the whole body is one piece kind of thing). i suprised how much i felt it in my quads and legs. i feel stronger all over.

my goal is still to progress to 10 min of non stop leopard crawling

thanks for the replies and advice. over the past couple weeks I have not really been able to follow a consistent plan and it doesn't look like I will able to be in tue near future.

focusing on crawling and resets have led me to feel more connected (the whole body is one piece kind of thing). i suprised how much i felt it in my quads and legs. i feel stronger all over.

my goal is still to progress to 10 min of non stop leopard crawling

Where are you at right now??? What is your limiting factor?

i am not very close. i was able to leopard crawl for almost 4 minutes non stop. the limiting factors are strength and stamina. i was out of breath and reaching muscle failure. i have been doing 4-5 sets of 2 minutes. as i progress i was planning to switch to 3-4 sets of 3 minutes, then 3 sets of 4 minutes, 2 sets of 5 min, 2 sets of 6 min, 1 set of 7 minutes.... until I reach 10 min

maybe not exactly this, but something like this was my progression plan. i haven't had a set workout schedule because of life but luckily i should be able to continue working out three days a week.

any suggestions/advice on my plan?

Have you ever tried doing sets of 1 minute then using other movements to serve as active rest??

i am not very close. i was able to leopard crawl for almost 4 minutes non stop. the limiting factors are strength and stamina. i was out of breath and reaching muscle failure. i have been doing 4-5 sets of 2 minutes. as i progress i was planning to switch to 3-4 sets of 3 minutes, then 3 sets of 4 minutes, 2 sets of 5 min, 2 sets of 6 min, 1 set of 7 minutes.... until I reach 10 min

maybe not exactly this, but something like this was my progression plan. i haven't had a set workout schedule because of life but luckily i should be able to continue working out three days a week.

any suggestions/advice on my plan?

I have been practicing and coaching OS for 3 years now and in my experience keeping my practice free and instinctual has worked best. I rarely set defined goals , instead there are days when I'll perform 3-5 minutes and other days over 20 depending on the volume / intensity of my Kettlebell training that week.

Try this method with a variety of OS movements and then "check in" after 30 days and see where your spider man crawl endurance is.

thanks @natewhite39 for the advice. i think letting my body tell me how much volume to do sounds like a good strategy for something like os work. I plan on using your advice and @Mark Limbaga advice to do sets of a minute when crawling and do os work or active recovery work in between. I'll let my body decide how many rounds to do each training session.

I plan on committing to os training for the remainder of 2016. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Look into our SFB (StrongFirst Bodyweight) program - a strength based bodyweight program that is an excellent example of our strength techniques and principles applied to bodyweight strength work:
SFB Bodyweight Certification Information

One day course also available:
StrongFirst Bodyweight Course

I also use and recommend Ground Force Method.

@andrewswanson ,

From the looks of it, you already got some fantastic advice, sir. If I could share something; in seeking out this goal myself, I came across some video and a few articles/posts by Aleks Salkin. His advice was not really to plan in, but every time try to just crawl a little further/longer. If you managed 2:10, next time try for 2:12. He also suggests switching direction, which in and of itself is sort of a break. For a while I had to pair Left with Right and then Back with Forward. There was also mention of crawling in circles, uphill or downhill, etc.

Good luck, sir.

To piggyback on @Miguel's comment, I rotate my sets of crawling through forward/backward, laterally side to side, and axially (spinning around in place) clockwise and counterclockwise. I do these in separate sets of each type, but you could easily switch among them within a continuous set. Another approach is to crawl for continuous time, reverting to six point "baby" crawling when you get fatigued from four point leopard or spider man crawling, resuming four point crawling as you recover and so on, switching back and forth but without ever stopping.

I echo the comments about not using too structured an approach. If you're familiar with Dan John's terms, park bench is more appropriate than bus bench. However, one thing about the crawling is that you can go pretty hard from set to set and day to day and still recover well (after initially acclimating). Just don't necessarily force yourself into a structured progression.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom