all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Original strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
We got an intro to Ground Force Method here at the Strength Retreat yesterday, taught by Hector Gutierrez. It was really awesome! I wish I could get a dose of that every day for a couple of weeks, then I'd be off and running with it. I would like to incorporate some of this into my practice. Integrated movement, stability, mobility, fun.

We got an intro to Ground Force Method here at the Strength Retreat yesterday, taught by Hector Gutierrez. It was really awesome! I wish I could get a dose of that every day for a couple of weeks, then I'd be off and running with it. I would like to incorporate some of this into my practice. Integrated movement, stability, mobility, fun.

As far as I can tell, there is great overlap between the many "movement systems" out there these days, and that they probably offer roughly similar benefits.

I like Original Strength because I've met and like Tim Anderson and Geoff Neupert, have attended workshops with them, like their exploratory and playful approach to the material, and how open they are in sharing it, both through products they sell and a great deal of free content. When Tim comes up with a new variation or idea, his first move seems to be to put up a free YouTube video of it, as if he can't wait to share it with people -- I enjoy and appreciate this inclusive and generous do-it-yourself spirit.

In fact, I hope Tim and Geoff don't go too far toward structuring, codifying, and systematizing their material, as they seem to be with their "screen and assessment." From talking to Geoff at an OS workshop a couple of years ago, I know he has been disappointed with other "systems" that he has been involved with, and spent lots of money on, where part of the Kool Aid was, "If it doesn't seem to be working then you aren't doing it right." I don't look at these movement systems as "corrective" as much as playful and exploratory, so the more they are presented as "fixing" things, or as representing esoteric content that requires expert instuction and has to be executed just so, the less appealing they are (to me).

That being said, I steal moves wherever I find ones that I enjoy and feel good. My personal mobility toolbox has moves from OS, Ido Portal, Scott Sonnon, GMB, Pavel, Steve Cotter, and a lot more.

I haven't taken anything from Ground Force Method because I haven't comes across any opportunities to see or learn it, other than attending a certification or hiring a certified instructor as listed on their website.

Can anyone point to any available resources?

As I mentioned above, I've seen the website. It contains no real actionable content (other than contacting an instructor or registering for a certification).

Yeah when I have looked at the website I do not know exactly what it is. It seems like there is no way to find out exactly what it is other than paying to attend a certification.

That was helpful. Mostly as expected/similar to lots of other movement practice material out there (and I don't mean that in a bad way), but I did get a few new ideas to try out.

Still, those videos are mainly demos from individual instructors. Does GFM plan to offer any of it's own direct to user content or is the model only focused on certifications/certified instructors?

In fact, I hope Tim and Geoff don't go too far toward structuring, codifying, and systematizing their material, as they seem to be with their "screen and assessment." From talking to Geoff at an OS workshop a couple of years ago, I know he has been disappointed with other "systems" that he has been involved with, and spent lots of money on, where part of the Kool Aid was, "If it doesn't seem to be working then you aren't doing it right." I don't look at these movement systems as "corrective" as much as playful and exploratory, so the more they are presented as "fixing" things, or as representing esoteric content that requires expert instuction and has to be executed just so, the less appealing they are (to me).

I concur with your post as a whole, but the bolded parts are something I really can adhere to in every aspect of training philosophies. I guess thats why I love OS so much. It encourages me to play, try for my self and learn as I go (crawl..).

I guess with exercizing there is far more than one way to "skin the cat". The "big push big pull" theory I encountered through Strongfirst publications seems to me the most rational basis for choice of exercises, as that covers all the major muscle groups. As for how to manifest that in real life, that's where the tricky part comes into play. Jumping up and down might be a good exercise, but is that practicable in your house or apartment? Running is nice, but what's your neighbourhood like and how many months of the year is the weather too hot or cold for running outside? How much space do you have to bear walk in, or to place a "universal gym"?

Nothing about the S&S moves I do look "natural" at first glance, but if you think about it, if you break the movements down, they're all very natural, normal movements that are used in manual labour, life in general, and in more sporty or fighting situations. In Korea, for instance, we hardly ever use chairs, so you are doing most parts of the TGU all the time every day. The swing to me is basically pulling back, like pulling a boat to a dock or a load of some kind.

But I'll add that it's precisely the UNnatural aspects of exercise that lend them their effectiveness. It's by doing supernormal things that you get super strong, not by doing normal things. This is why, I think, we need "programmes" and "systems" that we humans devise to develop strength that nature normally would not.

@Kozushi exericise and health isnt rocket science; training and performance might be little more thoughtful, but still quite far from complex.

From your numerous posts, it sounds like you just need to quiet the noise around you, and listen. By trying to talk over the noise, you're just making this otherwise simple thing very difficult.

Bingo! Exactly correct... so let us help you: "simple" then, "ROP". Post only to your training log, or, if you have a technical question. You'll find all of your answers through your practice on the journey
It's cool that it all seems simple to you, but if it were indeed so simple the entire population would be walking around fit and strong, which clearly is far from what is really going on! :)

"Simple" I get. ROP is my up and coming challenge - the snatch test looks like no joke!

Frankly, the idea of pressing 48kg when I can only do 32 right now seems impossible, as does doing S&S with the 48 eventually. However, you guys say it can be done, so I'm eager to do it like you have.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom