all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed OS: Super Simple Strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

SUOMI-PUKU

Level 6 Valued Member
Found this program on the Original Strength blog while researching crawling programming (know some here are interested so figured I’d share!)
  • Pick a superset with two of: Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge.
  • Do this superset for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Crawl or carry for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Aim to take fewer breaks until you are working the entire 10 mins for each.
Something about this speaks to me! I’ll be doing something pretty similar going forward.

Anyone ran something like this before?

I haven’t gotten to 10 minutes of crawling, but it is very close to how I train.

Lately it’s been an OS -inspired warmup: rocking, crawling

Followed by an easy strength session: squat, deadlift, weighted pull-ups, overhead press variation.

I’ve only been going a little over a month like this but so far it’s quite nice. I would like to spend more time on crawling variations but often it’s an issue of my available time.

I also thought it was a great template when I saw it. I put it in my training log so that I'd come back to it when ready.

I personally hate to crawl or carry indoors at home due to lack of space, so I'm waiting until after winter. I'd do it 4 days a week, get every pattern twice.

I also thought it was a great template when I saw it. I put it in my training log so that I'd come back to it when ready.

I personally hate to crawl or carry indoors at home due to lack of space, so I'm waiting until after winter. I'd do it 4 days a
@Benjamin Renaud i don’t have much space either. I use one-arm-one-leg rocking as part of my routine and it’s awesome.
I’m doing leopard crawl 2 steps forward, 2 steps backwards at the moment which also seems to work just as well as if I was doing 100 forwards, 100 backwards. Maybe mentally a bit harder than having a route, but if I was doing squats/push ups etc instead I’d do them in one spot so I don’t see the problem.

I really like that program! On my conditioning days, I'm doing 10-20 minutes of swings and crawls. They go so naturally together... like peanut butter and jelly.
I’ve heard the crawl compared to the TGU in a lot of respects that it works a lot of the body, is good for joints, won’t give you DOMs and hits the core in a special way.

So in a way Crawl + Swing is a bit like S&S.

Found this program on the Original Strength blog while researching crawling programming (know some here are interested so figured I’d share!)
  • Pick a superset with two of: Push, Pull, Squat, Hinge.
  • Do this superset for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Crawl or carry for 10 mins, nasal breathing only, resting as necessary.
  • Aim to take fewer breaks until you are working the entire 10 mins for each.
Something about this speaks to me! I’ll be doing something pretty similar going forward.

Anyone ran something like this before?
Thank you! This will go together with mauy thai practice perfect!

I’m doing leopard crawl 2 steps forward, 2 steps backwards at the moment which also seems to work just as well as if I was doing 100 forwards, 100 backwards. Maybe mentally a bit harder than having a route, but if I was doing squats/push ups etc instead I’d do them in one spot so I don’t see the problem.
I also do them inside with 4-5 steps forward then back, but I did so much crawling outdoors when doing Louka's crawling program that I got accustomed to having space and being able to do all kinds of variations and routes. I just like it a lot more outside with space. Same with carries, walking around the house with my KBs isn't nearly as enjoyable as going for a walk with it outside. Just my personal preference.

Hello,

@SUOMI-PUKU
There is this video I posted a few days ago in another thread, about a bodyweight version of S&S:

Indeed, crawling has a lot of transfer to heavy TGU. You can even do a light weighted crawl for additional challenge (and strength)

Kind regards,

Pet'

This is the crawling program Louka mention's in the video.

I’ve heard the crawl compared to the TGU in a lot of respects that it works a lot of the body, is good for joints, won’t give you DOMs and hits the core in a special way.

Swings and crawls work the body so completely (and crawls can be done in much higher volume and with much higher fatiue than TGUs) that I really think it's the true program minimum. I love the fact that I don't need to worry about bashing my brains or wrenching a shoulder if I get sloppy with crawls -- usually my knee touches the ground or my moves sways and then I correct it.

Last edited:
Swings and crawls work the body so completely (and crawls can be done in much higher volume and with much higher fatiue than TGUs) that I really think it's the true program minimum. I love the fact that I don't need to worry about bashing my brains or wrenching a shoulder if I get sloppy with crawls -- usually my knee touches the ground or my moves sways and then I correct it.
I REALLY like this idea. Thankyou.

The basic book is Pressing Reset, they also have a DVD or streaming that has the basic routine of resets if you are more into watching than reading.
I bought "Original Strength Restoration" and it has some interesting stuff, but not things like leopard crawls. A lot of the books have titles that make me think there's some overlap. Do you know whether "Pressing Reset" is completely different to "Original Strength Restoration"?

Dan
PS Sorry to OP for thread hijack

I bought "Original Strength Restoration" and it has some interesting stuff, but not things like leopard crawls. A lot of the books have titles that make me think there's some overlap. Do you know whether "Pressing Reset" is completely different to "Original Strength Restoration"?

Dan
PS Sorry to OP for thread hijack
Pressing Reset is where I would personally recommend people start. It explains all the basic principles in OS.

Interesting side note: In the early days of OS, we saw a lot of people improve their TGU from dropping it from their program and replacing it with crawling.

Also, enough crawling will give you DOMS. Ask me how I know. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom