all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Osgood-Schlatter, WTH Effect, Kettlebells, Weightlifting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Halford

First Post
Hello Comrades, I need your advice. I was recently diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter. The doctor told me I should avoid stuff like squats and do mostly upper body work. This is devastating because I love weightlifting and it means I can't do Snatches and Clean and Jerks, let alone squats. I will just be left to think about them all day and be tortured watching other people do them in the gym, or to look at the empty platform when I go in the early mornings.
However, I have also been recently been doing a bit of Girevoy (just the movements) and love kettlebell snatches. I started to use them regularly as part of training, sometimes along with kettlebell presses. The good thing is, I can still do these because they don't irritate the injured bone. So my first question is, do kettlebell snatches carry over well to barbell snatches? And also what WTH effects has anyone noticed from kettlebells to O lifts and squats?
I also have another question, is it OK to deadlift or do snatch/clean pulls with Osgood Schlatter? I feel like even if I try to use my hamstrings primarily (for the deadlift), there will probably be some quad involvement that may irritate the knee.
Finally, for those who are in weightlifting, what are some assistance exercises I can do? Are pulls out of the question? Muscle snatches/cleans? Maybe some Split Variations of the classic lifts? What upper body exercises could be good for weightlifting?
Lots of questions, sorry.
Thank you comrades!

@Halford, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Please follow your doctor's advice. My memory of my classmates with O-S is that they were on crutches - it wasn't a matter of avoiding deadlifting, it was a matter of avoiding putting any weight on the affected leg at all. O-S is usually characterized as an overuse injury. Please follow your doctor's advice!

The first rule around here is "do no harm" - you'll follow that rule by resting appropriately until your doctor clears you for exercise without restrictions again.

-S-

I experienced it, but as a kid at 11-12. I was actually under the impression it doesn't really happen in adults, so I'm surprised to hear you say that. I too was given the old "rest it" and it did work. Sucked (try telling an 11 year old to not play sports for six months!) but I haven never had issues since.

@wespom9, our original poster didn't give his age, but I assumed he's young because that's when I remember my classmates having this, roughly 8th or 9th grade or so. @Halford, how old are you, please?

A reminder to everyone that we are not giving @Halford medical advice, but rather saying he should follow his doctor's guidance.

-S-

Sorry I've been away for so long. I'm actually quite old for someone with OS, 18 years old. Weird, innit? That's what the doctor thought as well, but he said that it is indeed OS.

@Halford, different people grow at different times - 18 years old doesn't seem so unusual to me for OS.

-S-

Perhaps. I assumed I had already finished growing. I guess maybe there is still a little bit more growing for me to do

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom