all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Other exercises while doing Quick and Dead

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom G

Level 4 Valued Member
I am starting Q&D and I have a question about doing other exercises. I am following the program and doing the training 3 times a week, rolling the die for randomization and following the rest periods. I want to get the full benefits of the program and not over train. Pavel mentions you can do other exercises after completing the Q&D sets. I did some Farmer Carries and Heavy Goblet Squats and kept the whole workout under 45 minutes. What is allowed on the off days, without impacting the benefits of Q&D? Should I avoid KB on those days? If I did swings on my Q&D days can I do snatches and getups? Can I do running or cycling on non Q&D days?

Funny you mention this, as this morning this article was posted:

It doesn't address workouts on OFF days, but what added movements showed benefit on Q&D days.

Thanks. Good article. Seems like I was on the right path with squats and carries after Q&D. I think I will do a few TGUs, CPs and Pull ups on off days to keep my form and focus on running and cycling with the warmer weather.

Jason’s article is spot-on and similar to what I’ve done in the past as well. With Q&D you are optimizing for power production. I would add Easy Strength-style grinds, carries, or midsection work after Q&D once refreshed - or on alternate days. I wouldn’t do any additional ballistics (cleans, swings, snatches) as you want to be as fresh as possible to get the maximum effects of Q&D.

I ran the Q&D snatching protocol alongside @Fabio Zonin's simple strength for difficult times part 1 and 2 (Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst) (Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part Two: Get Even Stronger in Quarantine | StrongFirst) at the beginning of the pandemic and loved it. No recovery issues and good progress but I did struggle to find the time to cycle (which is my preferred form of LSD).

The following summer I did just Q&D with a decent volume of cycling (for me at least... 150-200km per week) and I thought it paired brilliantly.

YMMV

I ran the Q&D snatching protocol alongside @Fabio Zonin's simple strength for difficult times part 1 and 2 (Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst) (Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part Two: Get Even Stronger in Quarantine | StrongFirst) at the beginning of the pandemic and loved it. No recovery issues and good progress but I did struggle to find the time to cycle (which is my preferred form of LSD).

The following summer I did just Q&D with a decent volume of cycling (for me at least... 150-200km per week) and I thought it paired brilliantly.

YMMV

Q and D 044 or 015?

I Followed a 1x20 program 2x a week with Q&D snatches 2-3 days a week. Matched up well. 10 exercises, 1 set, 20 reps each using a tempo. I would start way lighter then you think. I eventually built up to about 45-55% of my max for the 20 reps for main exercises like DL and Bench Press.

I'm currently running 044 in the morning M/W/F. After I'll do some loaded marches and ab wheel rollouts for 2 sets. Typically I'll try and toss in a low stress run/walk in the afternoon.
Tues/Thurs I usually do some pullups/chinups, ring dips, and bent presses. In between I'll do some light shoulder restoratives.
On the weekends I'll try and do a longer ruck/hike (preferably 6-20 miles or so) and a park workout with a sandbag.

Having said that, I put the main effort of my training into the 044. I see good carryover to the rest of my lifts in addition the practice I train them with. I feel that the long slow runs/locomotion and 044 just feed off of each other. As one gets better so does the other. If I feel tired on the other days I'll do some quality reps, but nothing overly strenuous, yet I still make consistent progress.

I’ve added an s&s day to my practice on Saturday as well as a ling mobility/warm up routine. I also do lsd runs 2 days a week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom