all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Over 50 Programming suggestions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

JNort

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst Community,
I am looking for guidance to help me with my strength, cardio and overall health. I am 52 , so not too young. I have been lifting/training since I was 13. I did achieve Simple Timeless last April. I just had Covid for the second time and lost weight. I am 6'3" 198 pounds. In the past I had gained my weight back with 5/3/1. I have high cholesterol and poor family cardiac history.

I am open to any suggestions you have. I have a background in high school and college football, powerlifting, olympic lifting. I am a Physical Therapist and know a lot about body mechanics and technique but as we all know, it is hard to "teach" yourself. I work out in my garage all year. I have a pair of 35#, 44# KB, single 26#, 53# and 72#. I have over 400 pounds of free weights, DB handles, barbell, squat stands and bench, sandbags as well as a pull up bar and jump rope.

I love kettlebells and barbells and like the blend of the 2. I have done PTTP, ETK, 5/3/1 and am currently doing Starting Strength HLM. I do not "hop" around for the next best program. I have been doing Starting Strength since last April. Prior to that, I did S & S for a year.

My goals are to be a little heavier ( I do not feel healthy at a weight lighter than 200 -lower energy), gain strength and improve my cardio/endurance, and stay relatively injury free.
I know all cannot be achieved at the same time optimally that is why I am in need of help. I have been seeing a Cardiologist and had a stress test last year (no problem). The only medication I take (unwillingly) is 10 mg Lipitor. All my other bloodwork is normal. I work long hours, but get up early to train in my garage.
There are so many amazing people on this forum which truly is a valuable resource. Thank you all for your insights and inspiration.

Jeff

Block training has treated me very well for a long time. You can't progress everything all at once, but you can move one thing forward and maintain other things (the exception that I've found is it is very possible to get bigger and stronger at the same time). I can't recommend the Tactical Barbell series enough for a well thought out simple and effective implementation of block training.

I like to alternate between time specific and volume specific programmes.
My suggestions would be Easy Muscle and Built Strong as a starter for ten.
Thank you so much. I cannot find information on Built Strong but Easy Muscle is available I will definitely look into those . Much Appreciated!

How much time and how many days a week do you want (and/or can you afford to dedicate) to training?

What kinds of cardio/exercise do you enjoy besides kettlebells/weights?
I usually have 45min -1hour 3-4 days per week. I jump rope , walk and have a sled to drag. I am looking into getting a prowler. I don't enjoy running but interval are fine. Thank You!

Block training has treated me very well for a long time. You can't progress everything all at once, but you can move one thing forward and maintain other things (the exception that I've found is it is very possible to get bigger and stronger at the same time). I can't recommend the Tactical Barbell series enough for a well thought out simple and effective implementation of block training.
Thank you ! Appreciate the suggestions

So many good options, with your history and available equipment!

I too have spent time with PTTP, 5/3/1, Starting Strength, S&S, and Olympic Lifting. You are welcome to browse through my training log (link in signature) for some ideas, if you like. 2014-2016 mostly kettlebell. 2017-2019 mostly barbell strength. 2020-2022 mostly Olympic Lifting. But often times during these years, somewhat of a mix, along with bodyweight strength.

As for your goals/objectives, you said, "help me with my strength, cardio and overall health." Which of these do you feel currently needs the most improvement? That might help drive your priorities.

So many good options, with your history and available equipment!

I too have spent time with PTTP, 5/3/1, Starting Strength, S&S, and Olympic Lifting. You are welcome to browse through my training log (link in signature) for some ideas, if you like. 2014-2016 mostly kettlebell. 2017-2019 mostly barbell strength. 2020-2022 mostly Olympic Lifting. But often times during these years, somewhat of a mix, along with bodyweight strength.

As for your goals/objectives, you said, "help me with my strength, cardio and overall health." Which of these do you feel currently needs the most improvement? That might help drive your priorities.
Thank you Anna. I have read several of your posts. I certainly admire your approach and accomplishments. My overall health is key-but as we all know without strength health fails. I really do not want to be on a statin drug as I started taken this in May and have been experiencing the adverse side effects already. I really value your opinion. Thank you

What's wrong with yiur current HLM routine? Why do you want to change?

Why not stick with it. Make minor tweaks to hit yiur goals. For example, add appropriate accessory lifts?

Eric
Eric, I think you are right. I just need to fit in more cardio- A + A, walking etc. Thank you for your guidance

@JNort

Writeup your EXACT program with HLM, including accessories, etc... I'm sure folks can help you tweak it for your goals. There are a lot of talented/smart folks here. You might get some great ideas.

You could probably do the same with your diet. I assume your diet is the knob needed to control cholesterol (besides medicine I mean).

Regards,

Eric

I have high cholesterol and poor family cardiac history.
I have been seeing a Cardiologist and had a stress test last year (no problem). The only medication I take (unwillingly) is 10 mg Lipitor.
We've had a few discussions of cholesterol numbers here. I am not a doctor but I can tell you that you'll find a wide range of opinions on this subject. I've posted my own numbers before and discussed the issue here - I have high total cholesterol but my good cholesterol is high and I've had the Fast CT Scan for Coronary Calcium and gotten a score of zero. My doctor has told me that, had I not asked for the Coronary Calcium test and had I not gotten the number i got, he'd have prescribed a statin for me.

I mention my situation because it's possible it might shed some light on yours.

I cannot find information on Built Strong
Now you can. :) Built Strong Minimalist by Fabio Zonin

I have been doing Starting Strength since last April.
There are a number of differences between that approach and how StrongFirst goes about things.

My goals are to be a little heavier ( I do not feel healthy at a weight lighter than 200 -lower energy), gain strength and improve my cardio/endurance, and stay relatively injury free.
I know all cannot be achieved at the same time optimally that is why I am in need of help.
BuiltStrong will help you gain strength and gain muscle - that addresses your first two concerns.

Your third thing is improving your cardio/endurance. Have a look here - Biomarkers - to see why some people, me included, think that the older you get, the less important this aspect of fitness is, and the more important strength and muscle are.

Number four is to stay away from injury. Pick a StrongFirst program and follow it and this shouldn't be an issue for you. Work with a certified instructor to be sure your form is solid - poor technique can result in injury. (In lieu of that, post links to videos of your form here for comment.)

For what it may be worth to you, I'm 67 years young, started lifting only in my mid-40's after a few decades of run/bike/swim, and broke my own lifetime PR's in the barbell deadlift twice in 2022, in February and again in November. My cardio, such as it is, is an average of around 3 miles of walking per day plus swinging a kettlebell a couple of times per week.

-S-

What is HLM?
I'm only familiar with the basic starting strength 3x5 LP program.
When I finished the Starting Strength novice linear progression in May 2018, I switched to HLM for the rest of 2018. Basically it continues the same routine but makes Monday a heavy day (5x5 instead of 3x5), Wednesday a light day with a lighter weight for squats and maybe 2x5, and Friday a Medium day with the original 3x5. The weights progress weekly instead of every session. I stalled in several ways on it myself. It didn't work all that great for me. But I think it works OK for others.

Steve mentions Build Strong -- that could be a good alternative -- similar lift coverage, just a different programming approach.

Thank you Anna. I have read several of your posts. I certainly admire your approach and accomplishments. My overall health is key-but as we all know without strength health fails. I really do not want to be on a statin drug as I started taken this in May and have been experiencing the adverse side effects already. I really value your opinion. Thank you
Thank you for the kind words! Agree, overall health is key. I'm not a statin or cholesterol expert but I love the Barbell Medicine material. They also have a podcast and often cover topics like that.

With HLM you can add some HIIT type cardio for additional conditioning stimulus. I get that people progress on this, and see improvements... but many people around here believe that it's not the best way towards health. LISS/LSD/MAF cardio is less stressful and possibly overall more beneficial and will build an aerobic base. But a lot of base-building cardio is hard to do along with SS/HLM type strength building, both from a time-investment perspective, and a recovery perspective for someone >50 and trying to pursue new physical adaptations. It pairs better with A+A, kettlebell strength/power programs, or a minimalist barbell program like Easy Strength.

I agree strength is key... though for health, I think a moderate amount of strength gets most of the benefits. Additional strength certainly helps with function, further muscle development, skill, and performance. How would you describe your current strength levels? Are you wanting to add a lot more pounds to your lifts? If so, can you describe why? (function, more muscle building, a sense that strength = health, etc.?)

When I finished the Starting Strength novice linear progression in May 2018, I switched to HLM for the rest of 2018. Basically it continues the same routine but makes Monday a heavy day (5x5 instead of 3x5), Wednesday a light day with a lighter weight for squats and maybe 2x5, and Friday a Medium day with the original 3x5. The weights progress weekly instead of every session. I stalled in several ways on it myself. It didn't work all that great for me. But I think it works OK for others
Ahh ok sounds like an evolution of the old Texas method rip had.

I agree strength is key... though for health, I think a moderate amount of strength gets most of the benefits.

Peter Attia was talking about this with Layne Norton.

Their estimate was that you get 80% of the health benefits of resistance training by getting to the 50th percentile of strength....and that's vs the general population including those who don't resistance train, so it's not a particularly high bar.

When I finished the Starting Strength novice linear progression in May 2018, I switched to HLM for the rest of 2018. Basically it continues the same routine but makes Monday a heavy day (5x5 instead of 3x5), Wednesday a light day with a lighter weight for squats and maybe 2x5, and Friday a Medium day with the original 3x5. The weights progress weekly instead of every session. I stalled in several ways on it myself. It didn't work all that great for me. But I think it works OK for others.

Steve mentions Build Strong -- that could be a good alternative -- similar lift coverage, just a different programming approach.

Thank you for the kind words! Agree, overall health is key. I'm not a statin or cholesterol expert but I love the Barbell Medicine material. They also have a podcast and often cover topics like that.

With HLM you can add some HIIT type cardio for additional conditioning stimulus. I get that people progress on this, and see improvements... but many people around here believe that it's not the best way towards health. LISS/LSD/MAF cardio is less stressful and possibly overall more beneficial and will build an aerobic base. But a lot of base-building cardio is hard to do along with SS/HLM type strength building, both from a time-investment perspective, and a recovery perspective for someone >50 and trying to pursue new physical adaptations. It pairs better with A+A, kettlebell strength/power programs, or a minimalist barbell program like Easy Strength.

I agree strength is key... though for health, I think a moderate amount of strength gets most of the benefits. Additional strength certainly helps with function, further muscle development, skill, and performance. How would you describe your current strength levels? Are you wanting to add a lot more pounds to your lifts? If so, can you describe why? (function, more muscle building, a sense that strength = health, etc.?)
Maybe the Bill Starr version of HLM were you built up to one heavy set of 5 fx could be a solution.

Back
Top Bottom