all posts post new thread

Barbell Overhand vs mixed grip DL ratio standards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I was just wondering if there are any useful standards to evaluate grip strength when calculating the ratio between what one can pull with a double overhand vs a mixed grip Deadlift.

For example, one should be able to pull 80 percent of your one rep max with a mixed grip using a double overhand grip.

The reason I am interested is to see whether there are any standards to determine whether grip is holding me back or to try to find the sweet spot to work towards in overhand grip sets regarding percentage max.

All I can find is the pros and cons of different grip type articles. Not interested in hook grip.

I have never seen a standard. It’s an interesting question, but not one I think has been tested.

I can tell you personally I’m around the 80% mark. However, my deadlift has gone up with mixed grip even though my double overhand it has not improved very much. My grip ENDURANCE has improved by long swing sets, but not overall deadlift grip strength.

I have never seen a standard. It’s an interesting question, but not one I think has been tested.

I can tell you personally I’m around the 80% mark. However, my deadlift has gone up with mixed grip even though my double overhand it has not improved very much. My grip ENDURANCE has improved by long swing sets, but not overall deadlift grip strength.

I pull less with mixed grip by about 20% than I do with double overhand, but my double overhand is always hook grip, so.... *shrug*

I pull less with mixed grip by about 20% than I do with double overhand, but my double overhand is always hook grip, so.... *shrug*
I’ve tried hook but I value my thumbs too much and they feel like they’re going to fall off even with fairly light weights. It might be because I have the hands of a 10 year old girl, but I just can’t seem to get much traction with hook grip.

I’ve tried hook but I value my thumbs too much and they feel like they’re going to fall off even with fairly light weights. It might be because I have the hands of a 10 year old girl, but I just can’t seem to get much traction with hook grip.

The pain eventually diminishes a bit after, oh, 3-6 months of suffering.

I still tape my thumbs for competition max attempts, though.

Yeah, there are many types of grip strength I am learning. It is also hard to isolate one factor when there are many at play.

The reason I am interested is to see whether there are any standards to determine whether grip is holding me back or to try to find the sweet spot to work towards in overhand grip sets regarding percentage max.
If you can pull more mixed grip than you can double overhand, then your grip is limiting you. If you lose deadlifts because you can't hold them even with mixed grip, your grip is really limiting you. If you only deadlift double overhand, your grip will get stronger, but you won't be training your deadlift as well as you could.

If you want to continue to train both, pull all your warmups double overhand and switch to mixed grip only when you need to. If you are having issues dropping deadlifts with mixed grip, you can 1) keep training your deadlift knowing that your grip is your limiting factor and that over time it'll get stronger or 2) start training your grip.

An easy way is to run a cycle of block pulls + floor deadlifts + stiff-legged deadlifts. Block pull (about 4" works) for a single and just hold it 10-15s. Start around 75% of your deadlift, each week, go up 3-5%. You'll work up to ~101% in about 9-10 weeks. Deadlift from the floor for a couple sets of 3. Start around 55%. Each week go up 3-5%. You'll work up to a single heavy triple at 90% in 9-10 weeks. Stiff-legs (preferably elevated if you have the flexibility) for a set of 8-12, starting around 40% and going up 3-5% each week. You'll work up to 70% of your deadlift for a set of 5-8 in 9-10 weeks. In about 9-10 weeks you should be block pulling more than your deadlift PR AND holding it at the top for 10-15s.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom