all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Overhead holds ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Viking79

Level 1 Valued Member
What would the benefits of overhead holds/caries be? New to kettlebells and was lucky to come into contact with an StrongFirst instructor to check my form on swings but due to being short handed severely at work and now pulling extra duty, it may be some time before I can spend time with an instructor again. I am interested in working program minimum for time being to dial in technique and time being a commodity in short supply, as such was wondering what would be the benefit of overhead holds/caries?

What would the benefits of overhead holds/caries be? New to kettlebells and was lucky to come into contact with an StrongFirst instructor to check my form on swings but due to being short handed severely at work and now pulling extra duty, it may be some time before I can spend time with an instructor again. I am interested in working program minimum for time being to dial in technique and time being a commodity in short supply, as such was wondering what would be the benefit of overhead holds/caries?
I do them for shoulder and low back health and because they are smokers.

How long should I be carrying for time/distance? And would adding something like around the body passes at the end of x amount of feet/time before turning around and going back be beneficial?

How long should I be carrying for time/distance? And would adding something like around the body passes at the end of x amount of feet/time before turning around and going back be beneficial?
Hard to say until you practice a bit. This afternoon I did a carry with a #20 slam ball, 1600m in OH, switch sides every 100m, then 1600m in waiter, switch every 100m and I jogged 800m of it. Took 28:40. I usually do some type of carry once a week or so. Grab a weight you're comfortable with and experiment.

You should checkout some of the Dan John podcasts. Besides his love of all sorts of loaded carries he’s full of good knowledge. Loaded carries are great and should be part of everyone’s training routine in some capacity because it’s a major human function, being able to carry things.

I might suggest that longer sets of snatches (or jerks or presses) with "active rest" in the overhead position is good stability work too. Something to consider if you are short on time and can't dedicate a lot of work to loaded overhead carries.

Would it be advisable to focus on caries for a while before continuing program minimum or a worthwhile addition to program minimum? Loaded Carries, The Cook Drill Kettlebell Carries After reading seems that caries would be a great place to start to lay drown a foundation to build upon.
2h swings, goblet squats and carries would be a potent combo and go a long way to developing a stable, solid structure. I’m a big fan of the Cook Drill, and I have my KB class do a variety of carries on a regular basis.

You don’t necessarily have to figure out if you can bottoms-up press the bell though. Start with a light-moderate load until you get a feel for it, but honestly, even if the load is light, you can just carry it longer.

Focus on good body mechanics, keeping shoulders packed in waiters, rack nice and tight with shoulders square in the rack carry, and shoulders down and back for farmer’s carry. Watch for rib flair for waiter’s walk and rack walk.

The guideline to shift to a different carry just be for structural integrity breach is pretty important.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom