all posts post new thread

Overhead press top position

Ian CL

Level 7 Valued Member
I just started working with a new physio for shoulder pain. She wants me to continue pressing with a kb but lock out with palms facing each other or neutral position. Anyone else here pressing like this? It took some getting used to but does feel more stable.

My shoulder generally tolerates overhead pressing well (at least with a kb). It flared up after spending a few days in bed with a cold. Muscles get tight which usually takes a while to get out of it.

I used to teach the press that way, to have the hand face forward or in, somewhere between those two, as opposed to hand facing outward at the top. But I never was sure of the reason or importance. And now with weightlifting I use a lot more internal rotation overhead than I used to with kettlebells.

Playing with it now, I can see that where the hand is can actually be independent of the shoulder's internal vs. external rotation. (Try it now with no kettlebell -- press up with shoulder in whatever position you want, hold the shoulder immobile, and rotate the hand. )

Anyway, sounds like she's having you avoid internal rotation of the shoulder for some reason. Maybe that is irritating for your shoulder.

I actually find IR/ER of the shoulder when overhead a bit confusing so maybe some more PT-minded folks can shed more light.

She also phrased it as she would like me pressing this way "for now."
I'm all game for it. Was just curious if anyone else is pressing like this.

Playing with it now, I can see that where the hand is can actually be independent of the shoulder's internal vs. external rotation. (Try it now with no kettlebell -- press up with shoulder in whatever position you want, hold the shoulder immobile, and rotate the hand. )
That makes sense playing around with it. Essentially pronating the wrist shouldn't change the humeral head position in the shoulder.

Side note about wrist pronation - anyone else feel uncomfortable about the radius crossing over the ulna like that?

Screenshot_20230329-140425.png

I just started working with a new physio for shoulder pain. She wants me to continue pressing with a kb but lock out with palms facing each other or neutral position. Anyone else here pressing like this? It took some getting used to but does feel more stable.

My shoulder generally tolerates overhead pressing well (at least with a kb). It flared up after spending a few days in bed with a cold. Muscles get tight which usually takes a while to get out of it.

In line with what @Anna C said, you can also rotate at the elbow, so have a look - and ask your physio - which way your elbows should be pointing in addition to your hands. Personally, I have one shoulder that tends toward impingement, and I do the opposite of what your physio is suggesting. What I do is, from what I understand, what a lot of Olympic lifters also do for their snatch.

IOW, if you and your physio are on the same page, great, but you might want to ask for a bit more explanation of what your problem is and why you've been given the recommendations you've received.

-S-

She also phrased it as she would like me pressing this way "for now."
I'm all game for it. Was just curious if anyone else is pressing like this.
My shoulders greatly prefer pressing (bench and OHP) with a Swiss bar and neutral grip. It appears to lower the risk of shoulder impingements and elbow strains

Back
Top Bottom