all posts post new thread

Barbell Overhead Stability in Barbell Snatch/Overhead Squat - for Those Interested

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MikeTheBear

Level 6 Valued Member
Thought about titling this "Olympic Lifting Tip of the Week" but I don't know if I can commit to posting a new tip each week. ;) As I am working my way back into Olympic lifting I have become addicted to training videos, but that's the way I am.

This video contains an excellent explanation of how to correctly hold the bar overhead in either a full snatch or if you just want to add overhead squats to your routine. For those who don't like to read long posts just watch the video.

For those who don't mind reading, here are my own musings on the subject.

One question I can see people asking is: "That's great a gold medal Olympic lifter recommends an internally rotated overhead position, but he is, after all, a genetic freak. Should us mere mortals really use the same technique as these genetic freaks?

Answer: Yes. I will use myself as an example, although I fully realize that I am a sample size of one. However, I am the opposite of a genetic freak. I'll note here that it's interesting that the video mentions how the incorrect external rotation position has crept its way into weightlifting instruction because I had a USAW coach teach me to externally rotate, i.e., point the crooks of my elbows up. The result was that I struggled with the overhead squat. When I was finally able to do overhead squats, I would always get terrible shoulder impingement in my left shoulder. Eventually, my right shoulder was impinged. I read articles about how some people have shoulder anatomy that makes them more susceptible to impingement, and for some it's so bad that they should forget about overhead squatting. I thought I was that guy. I figured I would be one of those masters lifters who just did a power snatch and then walked quietly back to his seat.

Then I read Greg Everett's article on overhead stability which recommended actively retracting the shoulder blades back and slightly up. This is basically what is recommended in the video. I tried this and entered a new world. Suddenly, stability in the overhead squat was no longer an issue. And impingement? Gone. Completely gone. So yes, this works for us mere mortals as well.

I watched this video myself a while back. Good video. I then tested myself trying to move the wall in certain positions and found in the OH position my body prefer IR, it actually defaults to it.

I speculate that the ER cues came in when to many people want to lift to much to fast without paying their dues to technique and mobility and it is actually more if a T-spine extension cue for people who has bad thoracic mobility. I think he mentions something about it in the video.

The real problem, IMHO, is that people look for cues rather than learning how to stabilize and move. The problem with cues is that sometime people just forget the rest of the body. OH supports and carries will teach one stability without need of cues. In out-of-the-gym movements cuing is useless anyway.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom