all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Overlapping Principles

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
At Tae Kwon Do practice last night my instructor (who likes to either start or end with a bit of moral teaching) summed up with something along the lines of: "You use Tae Kwon Do to make the world a better place, having a healthy body and mind are important for use outside the dojang. Gentlemanly and gentlewomanly behaviour is not to be undervalued." There was quite a bit more to it but I doubt I can do it justice here.

This all sounded at the time very much like "Strength has a greater purpose." to my ear.

I think the Tae Kwon Do principles of courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control, and indomitable spirit fit quite well into the Strongfirst principles.

Having tried a lot of martial arts clubs over the years, and being unimpressed by the level of aggression and bravado in the majority of them it has been great to find a club which offers a good attitude of students and teacher. I am but a lowly white belt at present but I think I can see myself staying with this club for a long time.

@DavThew, I agree with you wholeheartedly. A lot depends on the individual teacher you have, of course, and it sounds like you've found a good one.

Note that Jon Engum, Master SFG and founder of Flexible Steel, is a TKD Grand Master. It's also been my personal pleasure to have studied TKD for a few years with one of my children when they were younger.

-S-

I'm a big fan of Jon Engum and Flexible Steel, in fact it has already been leant out to one person at my Tae Kwon Do club. I'm glad I have a concrete reason to work towards the splits now as well :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom