all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Overtraining?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
How does one know when one is over training? Are there physical indicators, or does one's training just become less effective?

How does one know when one is over training? Are there physical indicators, or does one's training just become less effective?
Both. But in my eyes, overtraining appears mostly with professionals. What happens to most "free time" trainees is underresting. If you cut back for about a week and do only light cardio, stretching, walking, symptoms (feeling sluggish, having colds more often, messed up appetite, head ache...) mostly disappear.
MHO :)

Hello,

It can depends from a person to another but, for myself
> stall in weight / rep / time, even decrease of performance
> permanent fatigue
> new pain(s) (joints, muscle, headache, cold, etc...)
> loss of motivation

Kind regards,

Pet'

On top of the indicators above.

Sleep disturbances.
Elevated waking or resting heart rate.
Reduced levels of muscular co-ordination or mental focus.

I was really liking the HRV app. It was opposite of how I felt a couple times but I think it wouldn't have been detrimental. Without having that data for 99% of my training history, I think it is tough to overtrain. The body adapts to quite a bit and if you're not performing multiple training sessions per day I think it is tough to really under recover from session to session after some adaptation.

However, bar speed and libido seem to be good indicators. The window for them seems to be pretty big but that might be for me personally. Also, those benchmarks will be personal and unique for each person to begin with.

I've been getting a lot of these symptoms over that last couple of weeks. It started when my 2 year old started waking up through the night for a few weeks, but she is back to sleeping through the night now, so was expecting to feel less tired.
I'm following easy strength and 2 days of S&S both at very comfortable weights. I've also started to incorporate progressive crawling (10min including rests), on S&S days. I was wondering if these was causing or adding to my tired state. Has anyone noticed this when starting progressive crawling?

I've also started to incorporate progressive crawling (10min including rests), on S&S days. I was wondering if these was causing or adding to my tired state. Has anyone noticed this when starting progressive crawling?

I'm going to guess that is depends a lot on how you do the crawling. If you are using high-tension (which is the best way to crawl, for stability and strength building), it is probably pretty taxing to the CNS. What I mean by high-tension is: maintaining intra-abdominal pressure, keeping the torso as still as possible as you move the arms and legs, holding a neutral or arched spine, and moving very slow and controlled without momentum. In contrast, if you're just loping along on all fours, probably not a big deal. I've done some of both, and that's been my subjective experience.

I was really liking the HRV app. It was opposite of how I felt a couple times but I think it wouldn't have been detrimental. Without having that data for 99% of my training history, I think it is tough to overtrain. The body adapts to quite a bit and if you're not performing multiple training sessions per day I think it is tough to really under recover from session to session after some adaptation.

However, bar speed and libido seem to be good indicators. The window for them seems to be pretty big but that might be for me personally. Also, those benchmarks will be personal and unique for each person to begin with.
I think @Anna C also uses HRV.
Since I started using CoC grippers, I found grip to be a very good indicator. Not necessarily for overtraining, but for overall fatigue.
Take your 3-5RM gripper and do a set in the morning. On days when I had a bad workout I was only able to close it once or not at all.

Hello,

I never "digitalized" my fatigue or enegy levels, but maybe the metabolic age may vary if you are experiencing overtraining

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm going to guess that is depends a lot on how you do the crawling. If you are using high-tension (which is the best way to crawl, for stability and strength building), it is probably pretty taxing to the CNS. What I mean by high-tension is: maintaining intra-abdominal pressure, keeping the torso as still as possible as you move the arms and legs, holding a neutral or arched spine, and moving very slow and controlled without momentum. In contrast, if you're just loping along on all fours, probably not a big deal. I've done some of both, and that's been my subjective experience.
Yes it's the high tension version, I'd go to far as to say I'm exhausted which is down to a few reasons, but I think leopard crawling for progression hasn't helped. I'm going to take a break this week and just do some mobility work.

I think @Anna C also uses HRV.
Since I started using CoC grippers, I found grip to be a very good indicator. Not necessarily for overtraining, but for overall fatigue.
Take your 3-5RM gripper and do a set in the morning. On days when I had a bad workout I was only able to close it once or not at all.

This one. I am using Elite HRV and have a 2-3RM gripper at office - HRV score and gripping strength correlates quite well as underrecovery/overtraining idicator.

Would it not be easier for a regular guy to overtrain than a pro? I'm sure I've done it not a few times.

@Kozushi With a regular guy it's probably trying to squeeze too much in to life than over training, but I get what you mean. The training on its own probably isn't too much for a pro, but when placed along side the office job and taking too little time off , commuting, being dad (or mum) , running the kids sports team, and training even slightly over egging the training may cause the effects of over training.

Hello,

When I was student, I used to train about 1h a day. Then, I started to work...and I went to overtraining in a few only. Indeed, I was commuting a lot (3h a day), had more working hour than I had class hours when student.

There are a lot of factors which play a role in overtraining.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom