all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Owning" a Kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

It is first of all a feeling: When the moves become almost easy, when you do not have the feeling to work enough, and when you feel you can go heavier. This feeling has to be true, you don't have to lie to yourself.

Besides, you can try to reach a standard to ses if you really own or not.

Kind regards,

Pet'

For S&S Standards its whatever weight you can do reliably in 10x10 one arm swings in 5 minutes, a minute break, and 5x1 Turkish Get Ups on each side within 10 minutes.

But different programs have their own versions of owning it. I sort of figure when you get bored with such a weight that you can make it look easy.

I'd say you have to comfortably be able to complete all the big 6 with near-to-perfect form, for a number of reps requested by the SFGI certification's technique test. Here're the new standards:

Reaching this level of proficiency means to me that you "own" the weight. It frankly is something that can be achieved by constant and dedicated training.
If one can go further and is able to do the same things using the SFGII technique testing, than he's to me dominating the weight.

Different thing is to complete a program. Let's say you reached Simple, ok? In my opinion and experience, the general male person will certainly own the swing and the TGU up to 32 kg of weight but not much (if anything) else, may very well be able to own the weight up to 20 kg, will probably have troubles with/won't be able to complete at least one movement at 24 kg (therefore he does not own this weight). This, of course, given that he's a general male person, as said.

Oh, also rowing the same weight, you also have to be able to row (regular or renegade - the latter being hard as hell, to me)!

Thanks, I'm not trying to compete for a certification. Just following the Simple & Sinister program to stay in shape but also would like to achieve at least the Simple. I'll be good with that.

Hello,

@Paul Lasicki
like to achieve at least the Simple. I'll be good with that
I achieved it recently. One of best advice is "take your time". Follow religiously the book guidelines and sure you will get it. I am light (64kg) nevertheless it worked. This book is capable of providing strength even if you are more an "endurance guy".

Best of luck ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm also a small guy , 5'6" with a small bone structure, just weight myself this morning at 155lbs (70kg) at 59 years old. I'm looking to drop a few more pounds but very carefully as not to sap my strength.

I think you "own" when you can achieve substantial volume with the weight. For example, why stop at 10x10 and 10x1? Work up to Dan Johns 10,000 swings with TGU as the strength move. Also, I like the definition of being able to BU Press the weight being pretty accurate too.

Thanks, I'm not trying to compete for a certification. Just following the Simple & Sinister program to stay in shape but also would like to achieve at least the Simple. I'll be good with that.

If you are doing S&S, then why not go with how Pavel describes it?

When you reach the 1: 1 work-to-rest ratio in one of the exercises— 100 total swings in five minutes; ten total get-ups in ten minutes— and can do this strongly almost any day, move up in weight in that exercise. Gradually replace your current training weight with a heavier weight, one set at a time. Go at your own pace; solidify what you have achieved before going further.

Tsatsouline, Pavel (2015-01-02). Kettlebell Simple & Sinister (Kindle Locations 1562-1565). . Kindle Edition.

My Soviet-trained music teacher uses the term. When learning something, I'd say "oh I got the phrase down...I did it a couple times already" or, after flubbing it in a lesson, say "well, I got it at home in practice" or somesuch. She'd say "that's not good enough, you have to practice it until you do it right every time, under any circumstance, no matter how nervous or stressed you are, and you couldn't do it wrong if you tried- then you own it."

Hello,

@Paul Lasicki

I achieved it recently. One of best advice is "take your time". Follow religiously the book guidelines and sure you will get it. I am light (64kg) nevertheless it worked. This book is capable of providing strength even if you are more an "endurance guy".

Best of luck ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Great work at your bodyweight! Hell, I struggle with 32 so this was inspirational!

My Soviet-trained music teacher uses the term. When learning something, I'd say "oh I got the phrase down...I did it a couple times already" or, after flubbing it in a lesson, say "well, I got it at home in practice" or somesuch. She'd say "that's not good enough, you have to practice it until you do it right every time, under any circumstance, no matter how nervous or stressed you are, and you couldn't do it wrong if you tried- then you own it."

Regarding music practice, a saying I've heard is:

"The difference between an amateur and a professional is the amateur practices until he gets it right; the professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

@Steve W., yes.

Once you get it right, _then_ you can practice it - otherwise you are practicing doing it wrong and what point is there in that?

-S-

Oh, I don't know. To me, practice can include exploring, experimenting, and struggling as part of the process of getting to where you want to be. My guitar teacher has a sign that is a mock dictionary entry for the word "practice." The defininition is, "Working to learn something while sweating, fidgeting, and cursing."

Exploring, experimenting, and struggling are those things, and no doubt can be valuable, interesting time spent playing your instrument, but practice is practice.

Guitar and guitar teachers are the exception, or at least can be, in the world of music, e.g., the joke:

Q: How do you get a guitar player to stop?

A: Put a piece of music in front of him.

For me now, it's what Steve F. says...whatever you do starts a pathway in your neurons, and can get repeated too easily. Best to go very slow in small pieces and ingrain it correctly the first time. Much harder to 'overwrite' something you're hands have learned than to learn it right the first time. Just like paying attention to the form of each and every swing, as it says in S&S...

Of course, noodling around on a guitar (or anything) for fun is Fun, and that's different- just enjoy whatever you enjoy. Best musician jokes are viola jokes- google them.

Best musician jokes are viola jokes- google them.

There are some good drummer jokes:

What do you call a guy who hangs out with a bunch of musician?
A drummer.
How do you know there's a drummer at the door?
The knocking keeps speeding up and he never knows when to come in.
What did the drummer get on his SATs?
Drool.
What do you call a drummer in a three piece suit?
The defendant.​

@Steve W., those are funny! I know bass player jokes because I'm a bass player. My favorite, and I apologize for assuming all bass players are men, but:

Q: What do you call the woman on a bass player's arm?

A: A tattoo.

-S-

Ok, so this morning I did 10 x 10 with a 20 kg bell for swings in 5 minutes and 10 x 1 with a 16 kg for tgu's in 10 min.
There was a few tgu reps that was a bit sketchy but full get ups. I obviously need to improve upon this before moving on to a heavier bell. My question is do I continue doing this for time or just practice for a few days and then try again for time?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom