all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Packed shoulder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

banzaiengr

Level 6 Valued Member
I know for myself, the packed shoulder was a tough one to feel. What do they mean, packed shoulder? I found this gem from Dan John on how to get into the packed should, and thought it worth sharing.

"So, the million dollar drill, get ready: Grab the tag on your shirt for me, you know, the one on the back of your collar. For most guys, Welcome to the Packed Shoulder! Now, many will have to slide down the spine a bit more to get the position, but this simple movement “instantly” gives the packed shoulder. Note how the bicep is on the ear, probably the most heard phrase during Waiter Walks, and how “open” the arm pit has become with this simple move. Hold the shoulder in this position and simply straighten out the arm. This is the packed shoulder, the open arm pit, and, with the body in the cylinder"

I agree, @banzaiengr, it's a good tip. It can be fun to let go of your shirt tag and extend your elbow so that you're in the finish position of an overhead move like a kettlebell press. It would be interesting to do this with a partner who is tall enough to put a kettlebell in your hand after you extend your elbow.

-S-

In a yoga class the other day, the instructor gave us a good tip which I believe also achieves a packed shoulder. Raise your arm up to shoulder height and feel your armpit (hopefully not smelly). Feels fleshy. Now draw your shoulder into its socket. Feels hollow. Make a "hollow armpit"... that's the packed shoulder.

@Anna C, try playing with the cue, "lengthen your collarbone." I forget which Pavel book this comes from but I think it might be Resilient, which is actually a DVD, not a book. Start with simply clasping your hands behind your back and trying the cue, later add a light kettlebell, eventually see if you can figure out how it might be useful in pressing and other overhead work, hollow position work, etc.

-S-

pressing thru the top of doorway as exhibited in ETK is good cue and the photos give great clarification - but the "grab the tag on your shirt" cue may be the easiest and best i have heard.

Handstand, and Hanging Shrugs are two of my favorite drills, to stretch, and activate for overhead work.

All good stuff here.

I've found that some old fashioned push-ups before kettlebell military presses help me hone in on the shoulder packing without having to give it a second thought.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom