all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Pain outside of legs between knee and hip

JC84

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all,

First off, I know I should see a physio for this. I will - just don't have any spare cash right now.

I have pain on the outside of my legs between my knee and hip, so upper legs, when I move them apart. Even sitting, if I move my knees apart from each other I hit a point where it becomes painful without having to fo too wide at all. I've had it about 5 or 6 months, and it's pretty annoying, though not so much of a problem as to hinder my daily life. Causes, I think, could be re-taking up skateboarding, carrying kids about on my hip for long periods of time, kettlebells or a combination of all these / something I don't know about.

Just wondering if anyone here has had anything similar, and, if so, what stretches/exercises they did to sort it.

Many thanks,

Is this what is causing the problem? I have had it, and foam rolling fixed it. Not immediately, but it didn’t take that long before I was up and running again.

Hi all,

First off, I know I should see a physio for this. I will - just don't have any spare cash right now.

I have pain on the outside of my legs between my knee and hip, so upper legs, when I move them apart. Even sitting, if I move my knees apart from each other I hit a point where it becomes painful without having to fo too wide at all. I've had it about 5 or 6 months, and it's pretty annoying, though not so much of a problem as to hinder my daily life. Causes, I think, could be re-taking up skateboarding, carrying kids about on my hip for long periods of time, kettlebells or a combination of all these / something I don't know about.

Just wondering if anyone here has had anything similar, and, if so, what stretches/exercises they did to sort it.

Many thanks,
Totally Twisted from Human Garage. Part 2 is the left side.

Is it this?

Meralgia paresthetica (also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment) is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in your outer thigh. It's caused by compression of the nerve that provides sensation to the skin covering your thigh.

I would guess IT band issues. You can roll it out on a foam roller or even a hand roller like a rolling pin.

Not knowing your daily life sounds like it’s caused by possibly sitting too much that’s what my issue stem from traffic my worst enemy… What I found helps me the most is saunas and ice baths and staying stretched out I’ve done P3 which is Jeff Neupert mobility program and it helps a lot. I think the biggest factor for me has been adding in sauna it just does something to those muscles and relaxes them, allows me to stretch them better. Did you get any numbness or tingling with it?

@Gypsyplumber no, just stiffness / pain. Hard to get on a bicycle if you can imagine that. Sauna is generally something I'd like to incorporate into my life more given the chance

I had something similar, yes, in Dec. 2020, went to physical therapy and it resolved after a few months of stretches and lateral leg exercises, etc. Here is a link to my training log when it started with all the details if it helps.

I had something similar, yes, in Dec. 2020, went to physical therapy and it resolved after a few months of stretches and lateral leg exercises, etc. Here is a link to my training log when it started with all the details if it helps.
Thanks for that! Did some banded clamshells today. Think I'll make them regular, did them before doing double KB cleans and felt better than previous - maybe partly a mental thing, felt more relaxed about the stance/movement.

What does your general day look like?
What are you doing for working out?
Day looked like a mix of looking after kids and seated work - about 50/50 both, but just started full time work so wary about the increased desk time.

Workout double cleans, presses and squats at the mo.

Thanks all,

@Houmike any tips on what and how to roll for this specifically? That pic well shows the area.

@Don Fairbanks what's TFL?

If you have access to a barbell -

Find the very sensitive spots and lean in there and wait it out. Quads take a long time to release. Sometimes more than 5 minutes per trigger point. You can lean to one side and get the lateral quad.

Gotta get into the hammies next.

Getting into the TFL would work best with a tennis ball. That little muscle is gonna realize a ton of sensation when you get the ball in there, on the floor or a wall. Find the level just on the line of what you can withstand, breathe deep and progressively drop into the sensation by applying more pressure as the sensation diminishes. The exhales are the moment to go further.

Foam roll and or barbell your calves, on your knees with the barbell and with one leg over the other on the roller or solo on a barbell.

Finish with your glutes on a base, soft, tennis or lacrosse ball or whatever else. There are a bijillion mobility balls out there.
Tennis Ball Self-Massage for Your Glutes and Piriformis

Sit in sanza as often as possible, accumulate minutes in deep squats and look into Pavel's mobility work.

My backround is bodywork, training and mobility. Practicing soft tissue mechanic for a while. www.masajevital.mx if anyone is ever in Puerto Vallarta hit me up, I've got kettlebells to share.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom