all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pain question/ advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Provx

Level 5 Valued Member
I have a theory that my muscles are relatively stronger than my joints, is this a legitimate thought process?

For instance I recently achieved a half body weight press with the 40kg bell, i have ran dry fighting weight and total tension with 32kgs, and done s&s with 40kg bells.

However the last couple months i have been setback with sharp pains in the wrists while doing another run through dfw and even while doing s&s with the 32kg bell.

Specifically my pinky and ring fingers are weak and go numb and the little bones in the wrist below them are sensitive.

Similarly i has to quit original strength crawling due to wrist and toe joint pain.

I was told in my early 20s (33 now) by the doc i had arthritis in both wrists and finger joints, so I suspect thats the main issue, but it just seems to me i am somehow capable of lifting heavier than my joints/tendons will allow.

I can do lighter weight complexes such as kettlebell muscle with much less issues, but dont seem to be as effective for me as low rep heavy weight work.

The docs just want to put me on high dose anti inflammatories and quit lifting which i dont 100% agree with.

Just looking for a little guidance, i hate to give up lifting all together, i suppose the complexes are better than no exercise at all.

Anyone have a similar issue? Any tips as far as anything to supplement with? All i take now is fish oil and try to eat a low inflammatory diet. What about adding cbd oil for instance?

Thanks in advance

I have a theory that my muscles are relatively stronger than my joints, is this a legitimate thought process?

For instance I recently achieved a half body weight press with the 40kg bell, i have ran dry fighting weight and total tension with 32kgs, and done s&s with 40kg bells.

However the last couple months i have been setback with sharp pains in the wrists while doing another run through dfw and even while doing s&s with the 32kg bell.

Specifically my pinky and ring fingers are weak and go numb and the little bones in the wrist below them are sensitive.

Similarly i has to quit original strength crawling due to wrist and toe joint pain.

I was told in my early 20s (33 now) by the doc i had arthritis in both wrists and finger joints, so I suspect thats the main issue, but it just seems to me i am somehow capable of lifting heavier than my joints/tendons will allow.

I can do lighter weight complexes such as kettlebell muscle with much less issues, but dont seem to be as effective for me as low rep heavy weight work.

The docs just want to put me on high dose anti inflammatories and quit lifting which i dont 100% agree with.

Just looking for a little guidance, i hate to give up lifting all together, i suppose the complexes are better than no exercise at all.

Anyone have a similar issue? Any tips as far as anything to supplement with? All i take now is fish oil and try to eat a low inflammatory diet. What about adding cbd oil for instance?

Thanks in advance
Are you seeing a sports medicine doctor or just a garden variety MD?
That being said... arthritis is a tough one.
Can you do locomotive aerobic work?

Are you seeing a sports medicine doctor or just a garden variety MD?
That being said... arthritis is a tough one.
Can you do locomotive aerobic work?

Was an orthopedic surgeon who originally diagnosed me, then saw a arthritis/ nerve guy who confirmed and added my body was prone to being inflamed easily. Don’t think you would call them sports medicine doctors though.

I should add my main reason to workout is to compete in professional (lower level) golf tournaments. So while i could just do aerobic bike stuff it wouldn’t really help my goal i dont think.

Any doctor will want you to refrain from any activity that could aggravate your wrists. It makes sense to follow their advice until you get the pain and inflamation under control. If you are really motivated and creative, I'm sure you can find many ways to stay in shape with out using your hands/wrists.

Diet and anti-inflamatory supplements help me control pain and joint soreness, but that may not be all of your problems. I don't take CBD oil, but I thought that was more for muscle relaxation than inflamation, but I could be wrong. There's a lot of super miracle claims out on CBD oil, but the jury still out on that.

When you get cleared for wrist activity again, you may want to start slow and light. You'd behoove yourself if you'd find a good instructor that can make sure you are using good form on your TGU's & presses to make sure you are keeping your wrists straight throughout the whole exercise.

Good Luck!

Any doctor will want you to refrain from any activity that could aggravate your wrists. It makes sense to follow their advice until you get the pain and inflamation under control. If you are really motivated and creative, I'm sure you can find many ways to stay in shape with out using your hands/wrists.

Diet and anti-inflamatory supplements help me control pain and joint soreness, but that may not be all of your problems. I don't take CBD oil, but I thought that was more for muscle relaxation than inflamation, but I could be wrong. There's a lot of super miracle claims out on CBD oil, but the jury still out on that.

When you get cleared for wrist activity again, you may want to start slow and light. You'd behoove yourself if you'd find a good instructor that can make sure you are using good form on your TGU's & presses to make sure you are keeping your wrists straight throughout the whole exercise.

Good Luck!

100% agree with everything you said, and for example i did figure out two handed swings seem to be perfectly fine. I don’t expect a miracle cure or really advice other than listen to the doctor, just wondering if people might have a few ideas I haven’t considered yet.

Whilst often not considered, tendon, ligament and bone strength does develop differently to muscle strength and it wouldn’t surprise me if chronic inflammation affected that.
It sounds like you might have an ulnar nerve issue - you might want to get this checked out if not already.
As others have alluded to, be careful to consult with clinicians who have some sport-specific knowledge or who are at least sport-sympathetic. Whilst it may be well-meaning, advice to stop a sport is, in my opinion, most often counterproductive. Good advice is more nuanced than that and reflects an understanding of you, your condition and the sport you do as well.
John

If your doctor clears it, I would work in person with an SFG. Using myself as an example, when I don't pay proper attention to my form on cleans, my left wrist bothers me - better form, for me, means no pain or discomfort.

-S-

I remember reading a long time ago that the metabolic rate of tendons and ligaments is about a tenth the speed of muscles. That means, that your muscles can easily get stronger than your connective tissue (It's also why healing takes so long). That's why programs like easy strength are good. They keep you at low percentages (for your muscles) for a long time, that gives your connective tissue a chance to respond to the load too.

I cooled it with workouts for a few days then began the original kettlebell muscle program with 20kgs. So far I just plain feel good, the lighter bells aren’t stressing my hands and they seem to be challenging workouts. I am getting that natural high after a workout instead of feeling beat up.

Also been going through fighter pull-up and that seems much more stressful on my hands and just seems to wear me down instead of giving me energy.

I guess I will just work through kbm, mkm, 701b and other similar lighter weight complexes for the time being.

Hard for me to not workout on the rest days, but been doing some OS resets and going for walks. It may be the 3 day style of working out suits me better than the every day style of s&s

Thanks in advance

You might try doing more slow rep bodyweight exercises to increase tendon strength. I have no expertise here, I have just read numerous times that higher rep bodyweight builds tendon strength. Isometrics as well. At middle age, my body feels best when I mix easy bodyweight reps and resistance training.

You might try doing more slow rep bodyweight exercises to increase tendon strength. I have no expertise here, I have just read numerous times that higher rep bodyweight builds tendon strength. Isometrics as well. At middle age, my body feels best when I mix easy bodyweight reps and resistance training.

That’s interesting and does make some logical sense

That’s interesting and does make some logical sense

This article is worth a read on the relationship between bodyweight and resistance training.
What Mastering Your Bodyweight Can Teach You About Lifting Iron | StrongFirst

I do bodyweight and light KB goblet squats in a grease the groove fashion as breaks from work. It is not because I can't add more weight but it helps to "oil" the hips and own the pattern. I recommend hindu pushups for shoulder health to supplement pressing.

Provx,
if you have a situation where inflammation is an issue you need to manage volume and intensity and lifestyle.
Meaning your nutrition, sleep, hydration etc... need to support good recovery.
Training volume and intensity needs to be adjusted to support recovery. (lower volume approaches)

Technique and form can be looked at by an SF certified instructor to make sure you are reducing the stress on the wrist etc...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom