all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Painful push-ups - front delts

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I've been neglecting push-ups lately, and need to get back to them.

My problem is that my shoulders are super painful when I try to do push-ups. It feels to me like the anterior deltoids, but could be something else in that vicinity. I don't think it's an injury because it's the same on both sides, and it doesn't feel structural -- more like soft tissue related. I'm thinking it's either something I'm doing or not doing. I have never had this problem before, but for this instance it does seem to have been coming on for many months - first mildly annoying, but now more of a problem. Then the more I avoid push-ups, the worse it seems to get.

I started revisiting the massage balls (Tune Up brand, like lacrosse balls but a little softer) this week, and foam rolling. Wow! It really seemed to help! Lots of tension in there. I will definitely continue that and that might be enough, but thought I'd see if anyone has any more ideas.

My resistance training has been almost all barbell weightlifting for the last 2 years - barbell snatch, clean, jerk, squat, and various lift variations. I also do lots of walking and cycling, but hardly any kettlebell or bodyweight resistance training (other than core). There is a link to my training log in my signature block for more specific training details.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions to help resolve this issue?

My first thought is that you just need to work back into them slow and easy, include a few static holds at the bottom or even just start out with static hold at the bottom, work into more dynamic movement. If you've been able to bench, you should be able to do pushup. Make sure you keep your elbows close to ribcage.

I will say this - for me pushups are the first lift to decline in both weight and volume from detraining, the last to come back when resumed and the toughest to gain carryover from other movement to.

Balance that with I think they do more for carry-over to just about all other upper body lifts than anything else you can do.

You might want to try a pushup board, I absolutely swear by mine.

My first thought is that you just need to work back into them slow and easy, include a few static holds at the bottom or even just start out with static hold at the bottom, work into more dynamic movement. If you've been able to bench, you should be able to do pushup. Make sure you keep your elbows close to ribcage.

I will say this - for me pushups are the first lift to decline in both weight and volume from detraining, the last to come back when resumed and the toughest to gain carryover from other movement to.

Balance that with I think they do more for carry-over to just about all other upper body lifts than anything else you can do.

You might want to try a pushup board, I absolutely swear by mine.

Sounds good... yes, have been doing static holds and slower movement, elevated to make them easier, or on my knees as another way. Getting back into the habit of sun salutations but can't even do the push-up part of them right, currently.

I was good at benching a couple of years ago but it's been months since I did any at all. I'll try some bar-only bench presses.

Push-up board... Good idea. Something like this?

May I suggest Original Strength rocking.
Thanks... I do OS quadruped rocking fairly regularly and doesn't seem to be a problem.

So much of what I do has my arms out in front of me. Weightlifting, cycling, and all day at the computer for work. OS rocking seems to be more of the same in that regard. But some variations on it might help... thanks for the suggestion!

Push-up board... Good idea. Something like this?
Mine is 100% 2x4, a little beefier and a lot less expensive! I usually hold it with hands at a 45° butted right up to the supports. For me that winds up around 16" between hands. I started by cutting everything snug first and then just tried it out at different widths. The Sharpie lines were a possible cut-off point but I left em on for possible occasional wider hold pushups (that I never do).

18" ruler for scale:
BozvGaHl.jpg

MJdQgnal.jpg

Just a thought, not sure if it would apply to push up so much though.

I had a similar problem a few months ago when bench pressing and thought I'd injured my anterior delt or the end of the long bicep tendon.

I went to sports masseuse for assessment and they found that weak scapulae were allowing the shoulders to roll up and forward when pressing. This was then impinging on a nerve, which was causing the pain sensation. They and their colleague also found weak triceps that weren't engaging well.

Massage and dumbbell rows, dumbbell flys, and close grip presses, as well as paying more attention to my form and what muscles were engaged helped to fix it up. It's gone completely now.

You said so much of what you do has your arms out in front of you, is there enough assistance pulling / back work in your program beyond deadlift? One SF guy told me once that big pulls play a big role in a big press.

Mine is 100% 2x4, a little beefier and a lot less expensive! I usually hold it with hands at a 45° butted right up to the supports. For me that winds up around 16" between hands. I started by cutting everything snug first and then just tried it out at different widths. The Sharpie lines were a possible cut-off point but I left em on for possible occasional wider hold pushups (that I never do).
Very nice, thanks!

I had a similar problem a few months ago when bench pressing and thought I'd injured my anterior delt or the end of the long bicep tendon.

I went to sports masseuse for assessment and they found that weak scapulae were allowing the shoulders to roll up and forward when pressing. This was then impinging on a nerve, which was causing the pain sensation. They and their colleague also found weak triceps that weren't engaging well.

Massage and dumbbell rows, dumbbell flys, and close grip presses, as well as paying more attention to my form and what muscles were engaged helped to fix it up. It's gone completely now.
Good to hear, thanks!
You said so much of what you do has your arms out in front of you, is there enough assistance pulling / back work in your program beyond deadlift? One SF guy told me once that big pulls play a big role in a big press.
Lots of pulling as in pulling off the floor (deadlifts, cleans, snatch lift variations), but haven't been doing much in the way of rows or things that specifically target the upper back. I should probably add some of that type work in bodybuilding style, 3x10s and such with kettlebells or dumbbells.

@Anna C - is it your bicep tendon?

I've found passive hanging (completely relaxed) for 1 min pre workout and 1 min post to help.

Maybe different but I predictably feel pain in my delts when I first do pushups in a workout. These items have helped me to mitigate to the point where I like doing the Q+D 015 format in A+A style

-thorough warm up, general and shoulders before first pushup
-hands reasonably close to shoulder width and elbows back towards sides which puts more load on the triceps and off the shoulder
-try to screw hands to the outside when pushing, this really helps stabilize my shoulder socket
-Start with sets of 5, usually the third set feels very comfortable

May not relate to what your experiencing but they got me to the point of enjoying them

@Anna C - is it your bicep tendon?

I've found passive hanging (completely relaxed) for 1 min pre workout and 1 min post to help.
I don't know... not sure how to tell. Would be great to get a physical therapist's assessment.

I do passive hanging, maybe 30 seconds a couple of times per day. Not sure if it helps.

Maybe different but I predictably feel pain in my delts when I first do pushups in a workout. These items have helped me to mitigate to the point where I like doing the Q+D 015 format in A+A style

-thorough warm up, general and shoulders before first pushup
-hands reasonably close to shoulder width and elbows back towards sides which puts more load on the triceps and off the shoulder
-try to screw hands to the outside when pushing, this really helps stabilize my shoulder socket
-Start with sets of 5, usually the third set feels very comfortable

May not relate to what your experiencing but they got me to the point of enjoying them
Good tips... I will try to slowly work on them and see if they get better. Thanks!

Anna,

I'm going through something similar. I talk about it in my log.

For a couple months I felt tightness in my front delts. Both. It was very very minor. No pain. I just worked through it. I was doing lots of pressing: barbell, dumbell, kbell, machine, sandbag, and lots of planks. I do pulling too (rows and such), but way out of balance with extra pressing.

About 2 months ago I started feeling pain on the left side. A very minor pain. Specifically when I move my arm up and back. For example, a side raise. I have no issues bench pressing. Slight issues overhead pressing.

The worse for me is if I raise my left arm in front of me and move it left against resistance. Without load I am 100% pain free. With resistance there is some pain. Push ups are somewhat painful but floor pressing is not. Keep in mind when I refer to "pain", it is very subtle and minor, like a 1 or 2 out of 10.

I continued my weekly floor pressing while drastically reducing my accessory lifts. I still made PR's, lol. I'm currently taking a 2 week break to heal up. I'm already feeling better. I am not taking any pain medicines but trying BC's CBD products.

I saw a doctor because I found it unusual that it wasn't healing. I commonly have little things that pop up from time to time, but nothing that ever lasts longer than 1 or 2 weeks. But this shoulder pain wasn't going away and maybe even getting worse. Doc initially thought rotator cuff. However, 2nd doctor, 1st ones partner, did ultrasound and it showed no damage, only an inflamed bursa. Both doctors offered me recommended PT exercises and a cortisone shot. I declined the shots. I'm half heartedly doing the PT (I need to do better). Honestly, just resting and taking time off is helping me heal. I have a follow-up appointment with the 1st doc in 3 weeks. If I am not 100% pain free by then, I may accept the cortisone shot.

Next week I plan on easing into a power lifting plan. I haven't done the 3 power lifts in 2 years. I've been training derivatives, like the floor press, the last 2 years.

Coincidentally, I had minor surgery last January on my other, right, shoulder. It was to remove a benign fatty tumor.

I recommend the ultrasound just to confirm there is no serious injury. Also, taking a week or 2 break might help. A Deload. If you want me to scan and send you the PT exercises, let me know. I also do the Dr Locke big 3 shoulder warmups.

Regards,

Eric

Anna,

I'm going through something similar. I talk about it in my log.

For a couple months I felt tightness in my front delts. Both. It was very very minor. No pain. I just worked through it. I was doing lots of pressing: barbell, dumbell, kbell, machine, sandbag, and lots of planks. I do pulling too (rows and such), but way out of balance with extra pressing.

About 2 months ago I started feeling pain on the left side. A very minor pain. Specifically when I move my arm up and back. For example, a side raise. I have no issues bench pressing. Slight issues overhead pressing.

The worse for me is if I raise my left arm in front of me and move it left against resistance. Without load I am 100% pain free. With resistance there is some pain. Push ups are somewhat painful but floor pressing is not. Keep in mind when I refer to "pain", it is very subtle and minor, like a 1 or 2 out of 10.

I continued my weekly floor pressing while drastically reducing my accessory lifts. I still made PR's, lol. I'm currently taking a 2 week break to heal up. I'm already feeling better. I am not taking any pain medicines but trying BC's CBD products.

I saw a doctor because I found it unusual that it wasn't healing. I commonly have little things that pop up from time to time, but nothing that ever lasts longer than 1 or 2 weeks. But this shoulder pain wasn't going away and maybe even getting worse. Doc initially thought rotator cuff. However, 2nd doctor, 1st ones partner, did ultrasound and it showed no damage, only an inflamed bursa. Both doctors offered me recommended PT exercises and a cortisone shot. I declined the shots. I'm half heartedly doing the PT (I need to do better). Honestly, just resting and taking time off is helping me heal. I have a follow-up appointment with the 1st doc in 3 weeks. If I am not 100% pain free by then, I may accept the cortisone shot.

Next week I plan on easing into a power lifting plan. I haven't done the 3 power lifts in 2 years. I've been training derivatives, like the floor press, the last 2 years.

Coincidentally, I had minor surgery last January on my other, right, shoulder. It was to remove a benign fatty tumor.

I recommend the ultrasound just to confirm there is no serious injury. Also, taking a week or 2 break might help. A Deload. If you want me to scan and send you the PT exercises, let me know. I also do the Dr Locke big 3 shoulder warmups.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks Eric, many similarities there. I also have some discomfort (like you, probably 1 or 2 out of 10, not quite what I'd call "pain" when I raise my arms in front or to the side. Mine is more like along the humerus on the outside.

I'm in a transition in my training - just did a weightlifting meet last weekend so I had been doing heavy singles and right now I'm back to 5x5s at 50% type thing, then will be working back up. So we'll see if a change in programming has any effect.

I guess a visit to the doctor wouldn't hurt... but I'll try a few of these movement and mobility and exercise suggestions from everyone and give it a few weeks to see if I can improve things first. I like your conservative approach on the shot. Yes, I'd be interested to see the PT exercises they have you doing! I suppose some of that sort of thing would be good for me, rotator cuff type things with a band, etc. I've done those in the past.

@Anna C, I will echo what @william bad butt said - I went through a period of a year or two where I did a lot of qigong and did no heavy shoulder work as I recovered from what I believe were simply overuse injuries. Sometimes it's what you have to do. My guess is that, in my case, I didn't stop soon enough so my rehab took longer that it would have had I stopped pushing myself hard sooner. My 1RM press is a 32 kg bell, and while I was doing all that qigong, maybe once a week I'd try a few 12 or 16 kg presses, just to see where I was, and that was it.

-S-

I'd stretch your biceps for a few weeks, could be tendinitis in the bi.

Alternatively, follow the protocol in Dr Kirsch's book. Shoulder pain: the solution and prevention.

I know you mentioned passive hanging already but I have found there is always progression on that simple exercise. Relax everything except the grip. Focus on sagging/shrugging the shoulders but keeping them relaxed. Then check in with your body and relax everything further.

Then the second half of Dr Kirsch's protocol (which for some reason people seem to omit) is that immediately after your hanging set, drop down and do very light shoulder raises all the way to above your head in every direction. Very light. Palm facing the floor through the whole movement.

Sets to the front and the side going all the way overhead. High reps - he recommends 45-60 before increasing the weight.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I'd be interested to see the PT exercises they have you doing! I suppose some of that sort of thing would be good for me, rotator cuff type things with a band, etc. I've done those in the past.
I'm traveling. But when I return on Sunday evening I'll send them your way.

My guess is that, in my case, I didn't stop soon enough so my rehab took longer that it would have had I stopped pushing myself hard sooner.
Yes! If you read what I wrote, I was feeling tightness in both shoulders. Pain eventually in left only. I think I stopped earlier enough for my Right but not my Left...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom