all posts post new thread

Nutrition Paleo, meal planning and bacon!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve-in-kville

Level 5 Valued Member
About five years ago, I bought into the paleo movement. I was having a few allergy problems plus I was cycling a bit. It was hard for me as I love my italian food too much, but I lost weight, the constant bloating went away, and my sinus/allergies cleared up. I wasn't a hard-core purist as I still ate rice.

Anyways, I made a goal to ease back into it in the next few weeks. Plan to start back up with my rucking program as well now that the snow is gone. The last time I didn't really meal plan... I kept chicken, rice and fruit around. Eggs were in almost every meal... and bacon. Lots of cooked veggies.

So here's my question: would I really benefit from meal planning? Or just eat whenever/whatever when I'm hungry? I hate to force myself to eat when I'm really not all that hungry.

What are your eating (nutrition) goals?
We meal plan all the time. Just like I have a training plan. Doesn’t mean that flexibility cant be incorporated.

(and don’t get me started on paleo...:cool:)

About five years ago, I bought into the paleo movement. I was having a few allergy problems plus I was cycling a bit. It was hard for me as I love my italian food too much, but I lost weight, the constant bloating went away, and my sinus/allergies cleared up. I wasn't a hard-core purist as I still ate rice.

Anyways, I made a goal to ease back into it in the next few weeks. Plan to start back up with my rucking program as well now that the snow is gone. The last time I didn't really meal plan... I kept chicken, rice and fruit around. Eggs were in almost every meal... and bacon. Lots of cooked veggies.

So here's my question: would I really benefit from meal planning? Or just eat whenever/whatever when I'm hungry? I hate to force myself to eat when I'm really not all that hungry.
My advice would make something you KNOW you’ll eat a good bit of and make it once or twice a week. Thursday/Sunday. In the winter would do that with roasts in the crockpot. Easy, set it and forget it and get 3-5 lbs of meat for a few days. When I did paleo I’d roast two pans of butternut squash or potatoes too and have a big bowl of those for a few days.
I also worked in kitchens for half my life so bulk cooking has always been second nature to me.
One thing I’m learning about diet is making whatever I do as convenient as possible helps me so much.
hope this helps!

Goals? Obviously weight loss and general overall health. I also want to start running again.

Keep in mind I use the term paleo loosely. I still consumed rice and snacked on nuts. Getting rid of wheat and processed foods was the most beneficial, IMO.

I would bake a pan of chicken and fry up a pound of bacon, plus a kettle of rice. I roast veggies in the oven. I just kept the food handy both at work and at home. I've done porkchops as well. Occassionly a better cut of beef like steak. I'd hard-boil a dozen eggs at a time. many times breakfast was two HB eggs and a few bananas. That was enough for me.

A lot of strategies will work well for weight loss and health (calorie reduction being first and foremost)
But it sounds like what you were doing was working pretty well for you, so yeah... why not ease back into it.
I find that meal planning helps remove ’unhealthy and last minute’ options that can arise when there is no plan. This way you only need to be disciplined once a week; when making the plan (well maybe twice... when shopping for the plan), as opposed to being disciplined at every single meal opportunity... JMO

Even though I think the premise of paleo is a bit of a crock, it does promote eating minimally processed and typically nutritious food which I totally am on board with. If you are eating healthy food via this method that that is a great step. Like you say... once you get that dialed in then you can work on the IF thing.
Healthy minimally processed and quality food coupled with IF is (again in my opinion) is a great way to go about things...

Heh. Yeah, I know the paleo crowd gets some hate in some circles.

As far as meal planning, how often do you work in a cheat meal?

Thanks for the replies.

I want to eventually incorporate IF into my program... but I want to make this transition first.
Interesting study done with mice by Dr. Satchin Panda. Two groups of mice feed the same amount of calories consisting of garbage processed carbs. and sugars. One group ate whenever, one group limited to an 8-12 hr. eating window. The IF group remained free of obesity, diabetes, CV disease, systemic inflammation, etc. which the whenever group fell prey to.

Might as well dbl. up with real food and IF.

Last edited:
Don't want to waste another thread on IF questions... but is it possible to IF 5 - 6 days/week and still benefit from it?

Don't want to waste another thread on IF questions... but is it possible to IF 5 - 6 days/week and still benefit from it?
Research shows that for weight loss the benefits of IF come mainly from caloric reduction. So do it as much or as little to promote a deficit without triggering an overwhelming hunger response.

Last edited:
I thought about this a bit more. If I work my way up to a 18/6 fast (eating window between noon and 6pm) all week long, and then want to go out for breakfast Saturday morning, would I even be hungry?

I thought about this a bit more. If I work my way up to a 18/6 fast (eating window between noon and 6pm) all week long, and then want to go out for breakfast Saturday morning, would I even be hungry?
Good question. I'd order steak and eggs, and leave with a to go bag if I wasn't ( doubtful ) into it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom