all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pararescue Indoc Prep

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

steve_ieeee

First Post
Hello Everyone, I was hoping to get some guidance on creating/finding a special operations prep program, specifically for USAF Pararescue. The selection course is around 10 weeks and is geared mainly towards running, swimming, and calisthenics much like BUD/S. Right now, I'm training for the PAST test (as seen below), which is required for entry into the program

2 x 25 meter underwater swim (Pass/Fail)

500 meter surface swim <10:07 – . Closer to 8 minutes is recommended.

1.5 mile run <9:47 - Closer to 9 minutes is recommended

10 pull-ups – It is recommended to be in the 15-20+ zone for pull-ups to be competitive with those who graduate training.

54 push-ups – It is recommended to be in the 80-100+ zone for 2 minute push-up tests.

52 sit-ups – It is recommended to be in the 80-100+ zone for 2 minute push-up tests.

Below are my numbers.

500 meter swim- 7:45

1.5 mile run- 9:37

7 pullups

25 pushups

58 situps.

To give you guys more info, I'm 22 years old, 5'7, and weigh 158 pounds. The only recent injury I've had was bilateral stress reactions in my tibias from which I'm recovered. I just began a walk/run program last week, swimming 4 days a week ( 2 days long slow distance, 2 days interval/sprints) doing bodyweight exercises 3 times a week with 2 dumbells metabolic conditioning workouts each week. I've only trained for about a month and had a functional movement screen 3 months ago. I can't remember the details of it but I was cleared for intense exercise. I've lifted weights before but never to test for 1RM. I've got about 6 months to train until I test for the contract and would love some advice. Where should I start? Simple and Sinister maybe, Power to the people? I'm pretty lost on where to go from here. Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is getting after it today! :)

I should also mention that the numbers I listed for the test are just the minimums. I eventually plan on getting to double the calesthenic numbers.

Steve,

With general SOF prep, it's best not to over complicate things. For you, I would prioritize your training to exceed the entrance standards. Continue to do what you're doing so long as you see improvement in your numbers. Test yourself every 3-4 weeks, this allows your body time to adapt and you'll be able to determine if your regimen is working. With most SOF (and I'm speaking from an Army SOF perspective) your cardiovascular and muscular endurance will be the ticket, for us it was "can you run and ruck day in and day out and carry some heavy crap" so yes, relative muscular strength was important, but a higher emphasis was placed on cardiovascular and muscular endurance.

So not to get side tracked;
-Continue to increase your calisthenic numbers (begin adding in GTG for push up and situps and Fighter pull up program)
-Keep with your run program, you'll need to work up to running 8-10 miles non stop. Trust me.
-Is your swim with fins or without? Begin working in both, do half your swims in fins, half without.
-If your recruiter is a PJ he should be your first line for knowledge and guidance, if not, PM me and I'll put you in contact with both an active duty CCT and PJ.
-You can begin to add in S&S as a supplementation to your calisthenic program, but it should not replace it completely.
-For outside resources I would recommend Mark Lauren's "You are your own Gym" he was a former CCT and I believe is the current head trainer for the INDOC prep course. <You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises: Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark: 9780345528582: Amazon.com: Books>
-Rob Shaul over at Mountain Tactical Institute <MTN Tactical - Mission Direct>

Lastly, remember the "4 L's" of selection:
-Dont be late
-Dont be light
-Dont be last
-Dont be lost

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.
Now drive forward and get to work.

-WF

What @Whiskey_Fox said. It looks like your swim and run is within the ball park of where you want. Now might be a good time to dial back on the intensity and increase the distances. Essentially, your maxes are where you want, so now try to improve how fast/far you can go "easily," it that makes sense. Your test times might take a little hit, but by increasing your aerobic base, you'll be able to go faster with less effort. A month or two out, you can start focusing on speed again to bring your times down.

Lots of people have mixed the fighter pull up program with S&S and had good results. You could run S&S 2-4 days a week, along with the FPP, while doing GTG with pushups and situps. Once you finish the FPP, start greasing the groove for pull ups, and switch your focus to pushups (or situps, but pullups and pushups seem to be your weakest links), using something like the FPP rep scheme or a pushup specific program. S&S will help fill in any gaps and injury proof you, but make sure to stay focused on the goal.

For situps, make sure you're doing them strict, slow, and with a neutral spine. Save the sh*tty bouncing-off-the-floor reps for test days. Same goes for technique with pullups and pushups. Strict, controlled, and perfect. Until test day. Then just crank 'em out.

In summary
  • start working on longer, slower run/swim sessions. Throw in a fast session every week or two, but use the next 4-5 months to work on your aerobic base.
  • Do S&S 2-4 times per week (as tolerated).
  • Focus on you calisthenics, since these are obviously your weak spot. I think you could do well by using a focused program on one of them at a time, and doing GTG for the other two.

First off, I wanted to apologize for the huge delay in a response. Long story short, I had some email issues and was unable to log in to reply. Secondly, to everyone who replied, I'm extremely grateful for the information you guys have given me to assist in the journey.

@Whiskey_Fox aerobic capacity and muscular endurance seems to be the ticket for Pararescue selection as well, but with less emphasis on rucking. Based on conversations with recent indoc graduates, water-con is the toughest aspect of training. I've also did away with metabolic conditioning and am focused strictly on building a solid aerobic base. Thanks for the 4 L's, I've been manifesting this mentality in everyday life.

@Snowman could FPP be used for push-ups? Any recommendations on a push-up specific program if not?

@mprevost I'm definitely giving this program consideration. My numbers are increasing on the current plan, and if I plateau, I'll most likely take up PTG. Although it does seem as though the running volume could be too much for beginners. As of now, I'm currently using Nate Morrison's Accelerated Movement 101 plan to build aerobic capacity.

Last edited:
Good luck, Steve. Your swim and run times look pretty solid. Snowman and Whiskey_Fox made some awesome recommendations.
Just keep in mind that's just the entrance test. When I was a Corpsman in the pipeline for becoming a DMT (Dive Medical Tech), every Monday we had more individuals lined up at the pool for the PST (same as yours, but without the underwater swim) and many of us already initiated would be voluntold to test again as well. When the PST was over we worked out for another 2 hours. Train with the mindset that the PST is just the appetizer. Easy day, you got this!
For the stress injuries (I'm assuming shin splints?) a good rule of thumb for running is to drop volume and intensity by 50% in the acute phase and then gradually increase over a few weeks. Ice as necessary and GTG stretching of the lower leg muscles. Eccentric calf training is cited as being helpful as well. Make sure you're wearing the right footwear, compression sleeves for the calves to relieve symptoms during training (not necessary, but an option).

Last edited:
Pavel has published his "Hit the Deck" program and also the "NASA Pushup Program" in Beyond Bodybuilding. Since that book is a collection of articles, I wonder if he's published either of them online for free.

@steve_ieeee
could FPP be used for push-ups?
It totally can. I used it when I had to pass my pushup test. at the time my max was 25 and maxed out at 39 after 6 weeks of practice. heres the format that I used.

W1
D1 -20-15-12-10-8
D2-20-15-12-10-10
D3-20-15-12-12-10
D4-20-15-15-12-10
D5-20-20-15-12-10
Rest two days
W2
D1-25-20-15-12-10
D2-25-20-15-12-12
D3-25-20-15-15-12
D4-25-20-20-15-12
D5-25-25-20-15-12
Rest two days
and so on

A few things to take into account.

I took additional rest days as needed. if I was too sore or not feeling it, I'd rest. the key is good quality reps. I was shooting for "chin to deck" each rep. Take as much rest as you need between sets. you can spread them out over the course of the day, but I'm not sure I would do that every session. set your rep scheme so that you have a few reps left in the tank at the end of each set.

lots of stretching for the shoulders and chest is a good idea too.

as far as your situps, I would say, check out the hardstyle sit up in the book "hardstyle abs", you can get it for less than $5.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

How long is it now from selection?

Thanks @King Cobra Fit, I just finally got back to a computer. The only thing I would add, that I kind of alluded to with the sit ups, is the difference between test reps and training reps. Test reps are as easy as possible, and we produce juuust enough tension for each rep. In training, we want to have absolutely perfect, strict technique. This means that we often move more slowly and over produce tension. My point is, your push/pull/sit up RM (with training reps) should be low enough you can pretty easily apply the FPP rep scheme. About 2-4 weeks out from the test, start adding in sets of test reps, so that you have time to learn the most efficient way to get lots of reps (just make sure they still meet the movement standards of the test).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom