all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Parasympathetic Activation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean Mulcahy

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Being doing a fair bit of MAF running/rowing within an overall kettlebell-based strength and conditioning program. Question is, does MAF conditioning activate the parasympathetic nervous system? Feels like I spend lots of time in the sympathetic state, and looking to balance that out.

If you have a bluetooth HR monitor like Polar, you can pair it with a free app on your phone (Elite HRV) and measure for yourself. Higher HRV means more parasympathetic NS activity relative to sympathetic NS.

My guess would be that it doesn't do this during the activity, but can help it to occur more of the rest of the time due to reduced stress, better vagal tone, etc.

I know @Harald Motz does a lot of low intensity aerobic work (mostly sub-MAF running and rowing, I believe), along with some pretty heavy, high volume strength work. He seems to be of the opinion that the aerobic stuff significantly improves his recovery from everything else. If that's the case, we could presume that it is have a net parasympathetic effect for him. Of course, one person's subjective experience is a far cry data, but it's still information.

Not during aerobic training necessarily, but overall yes, at least according to Maffetone.

I know @Harald Motz does a lot of low intensity aerobic work (mostly sub-MAF running and rowing, I believe), along with some pretty heavy, high volume strength work. He seems to be of the opinion that the aerobic stuff significantly improves his recovery from everything else. If that's the case, we could presume that it is have a net parasympathetic effect for him. Of course, one person's subjective experience is a far cry data, but it's still information.
Yes, low intensity aerobic work is recovery work. The aerobic system is the recovery system.

Being doing a fair bit of MAF running/rowing within an overall kettlebell-based strength and conditioning program. Question is, does MAF conditioning activate the parasympathetic nervous system? Feels like I spend lots of time in the sympathetic state, and looking to balance that out.
your statement indicates to me as you do a "fair bit" of MAF and you feel like "you spend lots of time in the sympathetic state" your MAF target is to high. In my opinion there can be an issue with MAF not the least with the acronym itself: Maximal Aerobic Function implies that this is the spot, where aerobic functioning is maximal, hence MAF is the spot where the best effects occur. I said it many times here on the forum, that I find MAF 'hardcore' to do it almost every day. Also Maffetone makes himself a point, to make adjustments down or higher: it depends.

One of the best, or the indicator for "sympathetic aerobics" is unrestricted easy breathing pattern through the nose. A further good guideline is the less air you breathe the more relaxing and less taxing it is on the system and the lower the heart rates will be.

Another pointer gives Mr. Maffetone to gauge to be on a good path is to be able to run longer with the same hr in the same timeframe over multiple weeks and months. Again personally I know that I can or could do 120-130bpm every day (my MAF would be 139), if I would be so free sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom