all posts post new thread

Path to Power

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Today
- Sw 6 x 2t-3l-2t-2r / 36 1hsw + 4x10T = 100
- BtP (2x24)+32+(2x24) = 5 ea

GTG CoC T + Green

Last edited:
Today:
- Sw 24kgx100: 6x 2-3-2-3 /36 Ohsw = 4x10T
- BP 24-24-32-32-24 * no more alternating sides works better
- NB easy x5 (UH) + 40D x 1 (RH)

** My easy nails are too short to reverse grip, underhand is best to work some wrist strength even though they don't feel too comfy. My grip felt really really strong this morning, probably due to the GTG grip work I've done 2 days in a row. Apparantly this really supplements bending. As if my forearms radiated strength I felt strong enough to attempt a 40D which is still quite challenging for my tiny wrists. But it gave :)

Morning CP= 25s

yesterday lacked alotttttt of sleep so skipped...

today
sw 10x5/24 1hsw * using chalk kills my hands but without the chalk that bell keeps slipping from my fingers..
BtP very strong 24-24-32-32-24, strong 24-24-failed 'n terminated set

* Suppose I should go back to 2hand swinging 32k, and upgrading this in time to 40k. feels easier for me. Even though I have plenty of strength to one arm swing 24k, and even did 32k x3 for fun few days ago, but the chalk kills my hands, unreal. Im considering buying intermediate bells, but i really don't want too...
** On the third set of BtP on my strong side I failed to maintain a strong wrist, the bell turned and i lost stability in the shoulder, nearly dropped it on my face..

*** maybe because I forgot to buy banana's as pre-workout... maybe because I no longer drink caffeine in the morning ... o_O

Special note regarding Buteyko breathing practice & its impact on my training and health:

Doing 4 sessions per day, everyday for the past 9 days has brought my control-pause up from 17s to a currently stable 26s (both morning cp's, pre 5.30am)

The benefits I am experiencing are:
- Stress reduction
- increase in energy levels: working 10h/daily practically wrecks me less
- increased sleep quality: i wake up more rested
- Falling asleep quicker. especially after a few minutes of reduced breathing
- reduced heart rate in rest: from 70/75bpm to about 60/65 when sitting. during breathing sessions my HR even dropped to 52/55 bpm
- Good posture becomes easier. and i notice it affects cp aswell.
- beyond 20s cp no more blocked nose/ symptons of " a cold"
- last but not least. I work my swings with a HR monitor. And i noticed my HR drops much quicker back to normal after a set. Which means increased recovery between sets and the length of the entire workout decreases

- reduced craving for food. one of my favorites. losing bodyfat will be easier now i hope !

** Yes some benefits could be attained through kettlebell training. However, such a leap I am experiencing now cannot be credited to KB's alone. Especially since my (kb) progress is currently stagnated.

Last edited:
Yesterday, very busy day
-sw 2x10T/24 + 2x10T/32
- Btp 1 x (1-1)24
*Evening workout, was drained of energy before i started.

Today
-Sw 4x10T/24 + 2x10T/32
- BtP 3 x (1-1)24

GTG #T + green ( sets of 5 )
* Today felt like a real re-charge, lets copy this 3 more times before adding a set on swings, and slow the movement on BtP down to find and fix faults.

Today (2/4)
- Sw 4x10T/24 + 2 x 10T/32
- BtP 3 x (1-1)24

* swinging the double pulls on the shoulder blades, not sure how or what but have to take caution with this.

Yesterday morning cp: 26s
Last evening cp: 35s
this Morning Cp: 36s
* Looks like I won the buteyko lottery a 2nd time ! That's a 10 second increase. I definitly aren't forcing it, it just feels like the quality of my practice gets better each day. Or I'm learning how to properly relax. ;)

Today I went to the nearest SFG instructor. It was a 1hour class and we were with 3..

We did a few yoga moves to warm up, some I knew, others I recognized from a book.

We then started with Get ups, ofcourse I did horrible since I never practice get ups, but he had alot of good pointers, so I'm considering doing get ups, and forfeit on Bent Presses for a while. My left shoulder balance is bad, actually this isn't new to me. But having it pointed out again, and the advice to at least practice half-getups made me wonder.

2nd we went to cleans. From the rack, drop, then clean back up. I used a 16k and after some pointers it became so easy I nearly launched it to my forehead. Left was actually better at cleaning, right seemed to miss 'hip drive' ?
3rd, from one arm swing to clean for 5 reps.
4rd 10m EMOM 2h swinging. This was a joy. Using a 24k bell, and having a real instructor watch you constantly.. but this is why i went in the first place, to really fix my swings and i got good pointers, and an actuall FEEL of good form so this is good !

5 November there is a workshop. 5 hours working through the basics, swing, clean, press, get up, squat, unsure if it includes snatch, but im interested, waiting for info.

* should work on these swings, with the 24k, leave the heavier bells for a while and focus on form. To always reproduce that good form automatically. And EMOM it, less boring than hr monitor.
** forfeit BtP and practice Get Ups to fix shoulders. i should i should i should, and have to find/make space :)

My entire Posterior Chain is very sore from yesterday.

Today I warmed up with 2 sets of Goblets 16k (light)
And I did 2 on each side Get Ups with a shoe.. Badly but i intend to learn the get up. 2 arm bars each side, also with shoe.

- Sw EMOM 5x10T/24
* If i want to do this daily make it every minute on the 2 minutes o_O Thought my heart would explode. Definitly huge difference in form and effort.

- BtP 3x1/24
** minding the pointers i got yesterday during get ups. It gave some relief on my shoulder on left (strong) side today

I farmer walked / suitcase carried my bells to the attic, there I have enough space to practice get ups when ready. Also outside is too wet nowadays :p

So basically I'm back at the beginning of S&S. Fifty 2 handed swings with 24kg, and still learning Get Ups. The kettlebell teaches a lesson in 'humility' which is good for me personally. I'm used to excel at the things that I do. Wether it was school, or work, or lifting weights. Now since I dropped all forms of training to pick up the Girya I have been changing my regime constantly, weekly, sometimes daily. Its like I'm resisting being novice in this. And the flaws in my body AND my person are revealed. My shoulders and hips aren't as stable as i thought, although I came along way to fix this, its not enough. But the worst is in my personality. I am impatient ! When it gets tough, I look for other directions to go. But there are none in this branche of strength training.

Last edited:
Today,

practiced TGU parts with 16kg
- First just lying with bell pressed up and holding it there. rotating the bell inwards, then outwards and so on. Realised rotating outwards is much harder to keep the shoulder stable. Right shoulder goes easier than left.
- sitting up for reps. I feel left goes easier, because my rights shoulder more stable than left, so im more comfortable leaning on the right.

These were step 1 & 2 from this source: https://www.t-nation.com/training/turkish-get-ups-make-you-awesome

- TGU 1 x 1/16 each side

- Sw emom 5 x 10T/24
- BtP 3x1/24 each side

- 20minute walk outside

BtP went very well for right side. Left probably had a shrugged shoulder. I know how to
stabilize this... by pulling down with the lattisimus dorsi. But I just have a hard time doing just that in a bent position. The swings were definitly hardstyle, and made my HR spike.

Buteyko: This morning my initial CP was 49s. It's safe to say I'm well beyond 40s CP now. And it feels as if I'm not in my own body... I feel peaceful. Energy level is so high. I hardly fatique after work.. or during work. My breathing is so calm, quiet, and .. less. This is good. And I hardly feel hunger, these impulses used to be huge.

20-sept (5 sessions )
moving avarage; 43,4 seconds
21-sept ( 3 done, 2 to go )
moving avarage 45,9 seconds

TGU partial practice step 1 through 3, for 5 reps each

-Sw 5x10/24 * reducing time with 10s per set
- BtP 2x1/24
- TGU (up only) 1 x 1 + waiters walk each side (16kg)

* Waiters walk feel amazing. Will do these for timed sets and drop BtP. Prioritizing shoulder stability, especially for left side. Although btp for left feels like its improving, better just focus on my weakness.

- Goblets 3 x 5 /24
- Sw 5 x 10T /24
- TGU 5 x 1 /16
- Walk 20min
- NailBend UHx3 easy RH 1x40D

Last edited:
GS 3 x 5 /24kg
Sw 5 x 10T /24kg (12:34)
TGU 16-16-24-16-16
Waiters Walk 0:45 x 16kg + 0:15s x 24kg

* No need to make this workout longer than 30 minutes. So I won't add sets to swings until its compressed under 10 minutes.
** TGU with 24kg felt good for right, left however is my unstable shoulder and couldn't keep it still throughout the movement. Which is why I added Waiters Walks.
*** WW with 24kg left side felt uncomfy. There was alot of unnecessary tension on the front of my shoulder. Not sure if it was my front delt or the tendons.

Later today Loaded Carries
-Ww>Rw>SC, 16kg/3:45
- Fw 32/24, 2 x 40s

Last edited:
They say I'm crazy for waking up earlier for this...

-GS 3 x 5 /24
-Sw 5 x 10T /24 (12:31)
-TGU 5 x 1 /16
-WW>RW 2:38

***Felt really good and recharged!

*I hope my left shoulder catches up soon. 16 for TGU is too light I think. Yesterday's set with 24 was 'instructive'

morning cp: 46s.
* going back to 4/5 sessions daily. Had a 2day break. Also lost bodyfat. I think about 400gr based on belly skinfold thats slimming down.

**brought #1 gripper and yellow band to work for a bit of GTG. so approximately 40lbs increase on crushing grip. I feel gtg grip helps steelbending. ( i hardly note NB here )

If anyone cares to know I bend nails once or twice a week depends on my shift that week. Im still on 40D and use reverse grip. Im sure i can do 50d and maybe even kink 60d but im taking this very easy. its no priority and an injury sensitive practice. And addictive :)

Last edited:
-GS 1x3/24
*felt sufficient today

- Sw 5x10T/24 + 4x5/24 one arms (13;08)
* no chalk, still slips from fingers. But 5s better than 3s so improvement is there !

-TGU 16-24-16-16-16
* I like to think my shoulder stability on left improved as the 24kg set went better than 2 days ago. Yet its not solid enough to practice. Right went well for 24kg.

WW/RW
1. Combined round with 24kg (2 each )
2. 3 rounds WW with 16kg ea
3. 3 rounds RW with 24kg ea

Observations:
1. Less lower HR spikes on swings in the beginning with shorter warm-up. So my warm up shouldnt be longer than required. I don't sit much on a day so 3x5 goblets often isn't really required to open my hips up, or so it feels/sounds.
2. My shoulders both are internally rotated, I noticed in the mirror, left more than right. The hands betray this. Overall they feel fine, except that left is bottlenecking my practice still.
3. Waiter walks and Rack walks are nice. Pump the body, shoulders feel well used in a good manner. Theres still alot of tension on the front of my left shoulder.

Buteyko:

Morning CP 55s
I will break 60s soon (optimal breathing) but I have already set my mind on the 'stages of super-health' (80s and beyond) I had 4 hours of solid sleep then layed awake for the remaining 4,5 hours in bed. Awkward. I am very well rested. So whomever invented the 8 hours of sleep must've been misinformed. I am starting to dislike coffee......... WTH

Today my MCP is lower than usual. I don't feel too great either. Got a bit of sniffles. Drinking coffee feels like poison and I believe it increases my blood pressure during breathing exercises which makes me feel sick, AND my CP throughout the Buteyko session Dropped. I have not had this before ! I'm sticking with 2 cups a day for a few days, and reduce this to 1 for some time before quitting. I recall getting very sick after 2 days of quitting coffee, so I'll be careful with this, but do intend to quit it as I no longer enjoy it caused by increased cp :)

*** Last evening, on a normal 10 hour workday I still had plenty of energy left and felt like I could have done a workout even ! I was awake from approximately 1am until 9pm. That's 20 hours. My energy levels are unreal. I intend to turn 3 out of 4 sessions into high intensity sessions.

My HR while sitting got down to a stable 53 , while eating and scrolling through the forum. :D On 2 september (in this log) I noted a resting HR of 68, which was about right at that time. During breathing sessions it could drop to 55 take or give a few. Thats a 15 BPM decrease over the course of 25 days in rest HR!

- GS 1x3/24
- Sw 5x10T/24 (11:00+-)
- TGU 16-24-16-16-16
- WW/RW random 24/16 * getting easier

** Haven't skipped a day for the past 13 days according to my log. That includes a killer workout with a SFGII. Cool !

Last edited:
Today offday breaking the 'daily streak' because i felt a little sore shoulders. my routine heavily depends on my job. Which today is alot harder than shoveling snow for the entire street ( as suggested in the s&s book) o_O

predicting ill take tomorrow off too. Perhaps saturday 30 sept ill have my next session. depends on tomorrows work..

love my work capacity though. its really increased by KB & buteyko ;)

After 2 offdays I woke up feeling in my hands I'm not recovered from thursday.

-Gs 1x5/20
-Sw 5x10T/20 (10:27)
-TGU 20-20-16-16-16

Yup I bought a 20kg bell. Feels good for the swings. I know I can one-arm Swing it, tried itwhen I where in Belgium. For Get Ups not yet.. or thats because Im sore all over for the past 3 days.

** There is a negative change in my stool and urine, also my CP is low for the past 3 days plus today.
* 26 sept my MCP was 55s and 84s at the end of that session (easy BH) Slept for 4 hours that night before and woke well rested. This indicates a CP near 60s, its normal.
* That afternoon I had a drop to 46s and the following days up until today (30sept) it varies from 40s/45s and the increases fatique me. I cancelled like 3 sessions halfway today. Will do the 'recovery' level. Today there also is a significant drop in my energy levels... Theres a itchy spot on my left arm. Ive had it plenty of times but its increasing and today theres changing in color (white dots)
my HR is a little higher also

-GS 2x5/20
-SW 7x10T/20 (14;21)
-TGU 16-16-16-16-20
-FW 1:26 - 20/24 (switch on 60s)

This felt good. Going for a 20/40 min walk, and in 3 hours from now I'll finish a 20hour fast.

-NB 2x easy underhand, 2 x 40d reverse grip
*Call that an upgrade !

Last edited:
Farmers Walk

Bw: 65,4 kg
1 (R)ound= 8m

H 40/32 = 72 = 110% bw x 2R (16m) max F (4)
M 24/20= 44 = 67% bw x 6R (48m) max F (7)
L 16/16 = 32 = 49% bw x 13R (104m) max F (7)

Sample used
Day 1: Heavy Day- Lift heavy (body weight), short distance (10-20 meters)
Day 2: Medium Day- Lift moderate (2/3 of body), med distance (40-50 meters)
Day 3: Light Day- Lift light (1/2 of body), long distance (100 meters)

Tomorrow
2-10-2017 monday, entering week 7
I will add farmers walk with above setup to my S&S routine.
For Grip, Shoulder strength, core strength, increased work capacity etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom