all posts post new thread

patterner's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Glad to hear the sleep and calories are helping. Nice improvement on the TGU times coming down.
I may have to try that timer method to see how it works for me. While I feel rested with the breathing method - after reading your comments, I wonder if my reps would be better with more rest.

@patterner, thank you very much. Please post a link to the thread you're talking about in which I mention the 90 second reset protocol.

-S-

Glad to hear the sleep and calories are helping. Nice improvement on the TGU times coming down.
I may have to try that timer method to see how it works for me. While I feel rested with the breathing method - after reading your comments, I wonder if my reps would be better with more rest.
I totally was getting antsy about 70s in, but I kept with the 90s of rest for all of the 2H sets, and I felt much more connected and snappy into the plank. I'll follow Steve's advice in the thread I linked above about reducing rest intervals.

@patterner, I edited your post so the link goes directly to the message to which you were referring. It's easy to get a URL directly to an individual post - click on the post number, just to the left of the "Like" button, and the copy the highlighted text that comes up.

-S-

Rough week, training wise. I knew it was going to be, but it ended up being a fair bit worse than I expected.

10/26/16:
Wasn't going to have this be a rest day (even though it normally would) because I knew I would have a hard time on Thursday and Friday, but my sleep Tuesday night was terrible. I did end up PRing on presses with my 24, got 4 on my left side and 3 on my right side, which is always weird since I'm right handed. I think it was CNS related...didn't rest much between left and right sides.

10/27/16:
Knew today was going to be rough, wife was in the hospital for surgery, so I was at the hospital all day. When I got home, I did a quick set of PGS, 2H swings with the 24, and two presses on each side.

10/28/16:
Again, most of the day at the hospital, and was just beat by the time I got back home. I did two presses on each side.

10/29/16:
Today, didn't even try to get anything in. Wife is back home and was busy making sure everything was set to make her comfortable.

Great week, rest wise. I knew it was going to be, but it ended up being a fair bit better than I expected.

Fixed that part for you. Your bells will be waiting for you - don't worry. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

Haha, thanks for the attitude reset, @Bonkin. I would do anything needed to help her recover, but sometimes my impatience makes me feel restless about losing the progress that I've gained.

@ShawnM: thanks, she's doing really well.

Sunday was another rest day (as far as my bells are concerned, did a bunch of stuff around the house to help out with my wife's recovery. Thankfully, she's doing really well, so it's mostly just handling anything that's too heavy for her since she's limited to under 5 pounds by the doc.

10/31/16:
Standard W/U (12:26)
Swings (15:00, all 1H, 75s rest between sets) 16, 16, 16, 16, 16
TGUs (13:42): 16, 16, 16, 16, 16

Swings felt good, this feels like a good rest interval for now...we'll see how it feels tomorrow with the 2H swings with the 24. Tried to really slow down the TGUs and concentrate on moving slowly and strongly, rather than quickly, and did mostly a good job. Totally spaced on the rep 4 (cursed rep 4) on the left side and almost did a header into a bookshelf (I do my sessions in my office) because I lost my balance trying to windshield wiper at the same time as I went into the bottom of the lunge. Other than that, they felt really good and smooth.

Had a rest day yesterday. Wife was first day back at work (from home, at least, so I could help out), but I ended up helping her a lot more than I expected.
11/2/16:
Standard W/U (11:33)
Swings (15:00, 75s rest interval, all 2H) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (22:20): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Swings felt good until the last two sets...but this is the first time I've done all 10 sets with the 24, so I think that's to be expected. I'll see how they feel next time, and maybe adjust my rest interval back up to 90s for the last couple sets. TGUs felt REALLY heavy, but I realized that I hadn't touched the 24 since last Tuesday, so I guess that's to be expected. Also, sleep has been a thing lately with helping my wife when she wakes up at night, PLUS writing before bed to make my NaNoWriMo word goals for the day. Need to start writing earlier...or try to get some in during the day.

Lots and lots of rest. Wife is recovering well, but it's amazing how much just having her home throws off my morning schedule.
Haven't touched a kettlebell since last Wednesday, so of course today I decide "screw it" and just went for it with the 24 (usually after more than a couple days off my first session back is with the 16).
11/7/16:
Standard W/U (11:22)
Swings (15:00, 75s rest interval, all 2H) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs: (21:16): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Swings felt good. This is a good rest interval for now. I've been checking at 60s and I'm still a little gassed, so I'm going to chill here for a bit. Once I get down to a solid 60s rest interval, I'll probably start working in the 1H swings using @LoneRider's protocol as outlined here: Simple Achieved - Thanks Pavel!
The TGUs felt good, though as per usual the 4th rep sucked the worst, even more than last rep, not sure why.

Last edited:
Yes - glad to hear she's doing better and that you are back at it. I like your plan of conditioning with the 2H swings.

11/9/2016:
Standard W/U (10:31)
Swings (2H, 75s rest interval, 15:00): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (16:03): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Had to rearrange my morning schedule somewhat this week due to taking my wife in to work (she's cleared for a couple of half days, but doesn't feel comfortable driving yet), so no workout yesterday. My sleep was *terrible* last night since I stayed up to watch the results and I felt AWESOME today. TGUs were fantastic, didn't have the usual 4th rep blues. First rep felt really easy. Swings were really tight at the 75s interval...still blowing at 60, but not as bad as yesterday, so progress there too. Also weighed myself yesterday, and saw the lowest number I've seen in about 8 years, so that's nice.

11/11/16: GtG with my .5 Captains of Crush gripper and bands. Five rounds of:
3 reps with gripper
5 reps with second hardest band

11/12/16:
Non-standard W/U (more below (11:17): 3 sets PGS, 3 sets halos, 1 set bridges
Swings (2H, 75s interval): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (N/A): 24L, aborted 24R, aborted 16R

11/14/16: GtG with my .5 Captains of Crush gripper and bands. Three rounds of:
3 reps with gripper
5 reps with second hardest band

So, with my wife's surgery recovery, but schedule has been wacky, training-wise. However, I managed, on a non-training day no less, to tweak my lower left back by sitting funny on a long conference call (gotta love em). This happened on Thursday of last week. I had thought I was recovered for the most part by Saturday, and some work in the garage went pretty well, so I figured I'd give it a shot. PGS and halos were fine, but when I got to the first set of hip bridges...not so much. Back was still spasming, but I got through the set. Went to do second set, oh hell no.

So, I figured, Pavel said that once you've been doing it awhile, all the warmup except the PGS is optional anyway, so I carried on without the bridges. Swings were dandy, in fact, I think next session I might crank my rest interval down to 60s. Went into TGUs. First rep (L) was fine. A little spasm, but not too bad. Second rep was fine to tall sit. Tall sit to bottom of lunge was unpleasant, but doable. Trying to push out of the lunge was *not* doable...had to abort the rep so I didn't brain myself.

Stretch it out a bit, then tried again on the R side with the 16 just to see if I could get anything in, and nope, tall sit to bottom of lunge was a no-go. So, it's currently Monday and I'm still getting a spasm, so I'll probably hit the chiro up tomorrow to see what he can do. Day to day mobility is fine as long as I'm careful, but I'm mostly trying to stay unloaded to help recover as quickly as possible.

Ouch! Good luck with your back - hope you recover quickly. I get those from time to time and they suck.

Good to see the CoC work - that's the first I've heard of the .5 (had to look it up). I've got the T and the 1 (so the .5 is right in between). I'm about ready to order the 1.5. What are the bands for? Finger extensors?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom