all posts post new thread

patterner's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yeah, it's the Expand Your Hand bands from IronMind. I've noticed when I work my grip too much (and between grippers and KBs it gets worked a LOT), I need to work the antagonist muscles or else I get a bit of elbow pain. I actually just ordered the 1...looks like it'll be an early Christmas present for myself.

And yes they do suck, I have scoliosis, so I seem to be prone to them. I had one when I first started KB training that I think was my fault due to poor form. This one seems to just be poor sitting posture.

11/16/16:
7 rounds, GtG style:
3 reps with .5 CoC gripper
5 reps with blue expand the hand bands (2nd strongest)

Staying unloaded as my back is still angry at me. It's fading, so I'll hopefully be able to load back up next week, but I've learned over the years not to rush it, or it'll just get worse.

Hope your back gets less angry soon!

Yeah, it's the Expand Your Hand bands from IronMind. I've noticed when I work my grip too much (and between grippers and KBs it gets worked a LOT), I need to work the antagonist muscles or else I get a bit of elbow pain.

Gotcha, thanks! I may have to check those out when I get around to ordering my next gripper.
I've been using Pavel's broccoli rubber band trick but it doesn't feel like it helps much. Maybe it's because I cooked the broccoli instead of throwing it away. :D

Hope your back gets less angry soon!
You and me both, brother.

Gotcha, thanks! I may have to check those out when I get around to ordering my next gripper.
I've been using Pavel's broccoli rubber band trick but it doesn't feel like it helps much. Maybe it's because I cooked the broccoli instead of throwing it away. :D
Well there's your problem! You're not doing the program as written! ;)

11/18/16:
10 rounds GtG style:
4 reps with .5 CoC gripper
5 reps with Blue band

11/21/16:
Standard W/U (11:02)
Swings (2H, 75s rest interval, 15:00): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (16:01): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Felt good to get the bells back in my hands! Swings were all pretty strong...noticed my layoff in the last two sets though. I'll probably do a few more at this rest interval before I bump down to a 60s rest interval. TGUs felt pretty much great! Reps 1-3 on both sides felt really strong. Rep 4, as per usual, was a grind on both sides. Rep 5 on L was also a bear, but more because two of my cats got into a fight right outside my office door just as I was going into tall sit, so I almost didn't get the bell locked in overhead! Other than that, also as per usual, rep 5 felt good on both sides. And I'm super happy my times stayed where they had been before my back got angry at me. Back still feels good this morning, so I'd say this was a successful layoff!

After a nice long Thanksgiving cheat weekend, I'm back. I did a session on Monday, but was too busy to post it, so it's going in here.
11/28/16:
Standard W/U: 11:10
Swings (2H, 75s rest interval, 15:00): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (15:31): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Yeah, I don't understand it either...apparently turkey and sweet potato casserole are good for your TGU times. Swings felt really strong, too. In fact, I was looking at the clock and ready to go about 17s before my gymboss told me it was time to go again, which is my signal to reduce my rest interval. Had a sudden rush of the brown stuff to the brain and almost switched to the 16 after rep 3 on the L side of the TGUs, then I realized, I'd forgotten to breathe during most of the rep...doh!

11/30/16:
Standard W/U: 11:12
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (13:16): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Wow. Swings felt AWESOME, even at the shorter rest interval. I felt it a little but only on sets 9 and 10, which is good. Going to hang here for a bit, then I'll start working in the 1H swings. TGUs were amazing too. I wasn't even really trying to improve my time, I was just ready to go again after about three breaths of rest, until the last one on each side. Could have used a little more rest on those...but by that point, I could tell the time was going well, and I might have pushed a little. :)

I dunno if it was all the extra rest (did pretty much no work, other than some house stuff, and some gripper work that I didn't keep track of) or all the extra food or maybe some from column A, some from column B, but I'm digging the effects.

maybe rest was just what the doctor ordered along with a good cheat weekend.
Nice job! hope the new shorter rest sticks around for a while... if not there is no shame with longer swing sessions.

12/2/16:
Semi-standard W/U: 18:03
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGU (11:37): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Ignore the W/U time...got a phone call I couldn't postpone, then someone came to the door, then I had to pee on the way back and forgot to stop my timer. I tried to work in the 24 for the PGS, and that worked...kinda. I wasn't able to use it for the curls I do on the third rep...maybe if I used it on the first set, but not on the last set, was too fatigued already. Otherwise it went well, and definitely felt like I woke my legs up more than usual...maybe I'll break down and get a 20.

Swings. I tested out the slowly adding in 1H method that @LoneRider talked about a few weeks ago. First thing I realized...should have tested it out with the 16 rather than the 24 :). Second thing I realized, the 1H swing is really a different animal than the 2H swing. There's lots of involvement of both the posterior and anterior chains in both exercises, but the 1H swing is just *more* in every way. I worked some in to the 2nd set, and they were terrible, was just not bracing properly, and was not effectively "playing chicken" as the bell was descending (which is the problem I've always had), so I tried again in the 3rd set, and these were much better. I think I was able to feel how the bracing should go now. That being said, I won't work these in for a bit yet. Still want to "own" the 60s rest interval first, but at least I know what to expect now.

TGUs. Uhh, well the time just keeps melting away, so that's awesome. First rep sucked...I think I was still in ballistic mode from the swings, so when I tried to push out of the lunge, I almost kipped up, which didn't do my arthritis in my knee and big toe *any* good at all. Other than that, all the reps were solid, and I was able to just roll and getup, roll and getup, til the last set, when I stopped to rest a bit. My breathing was much better this time in all the reps, and I think that helped a lot.

Second thing I realized, the 1H swing is really a different animal than the 2H swing. There's lots of involvement of both the posterior and anterior chains in both exercises, but the 1H swing is just *more* in every way.

Review the Swing section of S&S. Pavel discusses the "Hand to Hand" swing and technique for taming the arc.

Hand to Hand swings are a great bridge when transitioning from 2H to acquiring a feel for 1H. All the best.

Thanks @natewhite39! I'll re-re-read the swing section again.

12/5/16:
Standard W/U (12:17)
TGUs (11:39): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Swings felt really good. found myself looking at the clock around 50s in and thinking wow, still have some time, which would normally be my cue to crank the time down, but instead I'm going to start working in the 1H swings.

TGUs felt good, this was a comfortable time for me. Reps 1 and 5 (on both sides) felt "easy". Rep 3 on the left side was a little dodgy, but that was more a lapse in focus on my part. All the other reps were strong.

12/7/16:
Standard W/U (11:08)
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (11:33): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Started working in 1H swings in the second set, today. Felt pretty good, much better than last time I did it. Going to keep increasing the numbers as I go. TGUs felt really good. First rep on each side felt easy...this is the second time that's happened, and I think it's a good sign...or a sign I'm getting delusional. :D Had another sudden rush of poo to the brain in my second rep on the left side and tried to ballistic my way out of the bottom of the lunge, which again made the arthritis in my knee and toe *really* happy. But once I got myself under control, no more issues in the TGUs.

Thanks @Strong Rick and @ShawnM!

Just picked up my 32 today. Mostly for carries right now (well, after Christmas...which is why no picture), but I might start using it similarly to how @Pavel Macek has been using the 48 in his TGUs. I happen to live locally to a CFF (Christian's Fitness Factory), and I got a chance to handle several bells when I stopped in. I'm definitely impressed. Their 24 felt like a *dream* compared to my Apollo (and much smaller...my 24 is about the size of the 32 I just picked up). I got the chance to handle a 24, a couple of 20s, the 32 I brought home, and I picked up a 44.

HOLY cow...any of you guys that handle that thing regularly impress the heck out of me even more than you did before. That thing is a monster! But I was able to pick it up with one hand and carry it a couple of steps! That probably wouldn't have happened a few months ago.

@patterner one pood, one and half poods, two poods: all you need to get ready for the Zombie apocalypse. Keep doing what you are doing.

@Pavel Macek Indeed. I was certainly instructive to feel how light the 20s felt, and how heavy the 44 felt. I admit to getting a little giddy when I first picked up the 32...I remembered thinking how far away it seemed when I first started and was doing TGUs with the 12 and the 16 seemed impossible!

12/9/16:
Standard W/U (10:25)
TGUs (11:36) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Continued working in 1H swings. Did three each side in the second and third sets above. Felt fine, though once I was a little too aggressive in my playing chicken. :oops:

TGUs were good. First rep on each side continues to feel easy...though I had another rush of poo to the brain on rep four (always rep four!!!) on the roll to elbow, I just spaced for a second and bell just kept on going, so I had to ditch and reset. Still kept a good time though! Ticks me off a little (at myself) since without that reset, I might have made the time standard for the TGUs, and without even trying! Ah well, I'll get it in time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom