all posts post new thread

patterner's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
12/12/16:
Standard W/U (11:06)
Swings (1H, 7:41) 16, 16, 16, 16, 16
TGUs (8:03): 16, 16, 16, 16, 16

My nutrition over the weekend wasn't awesome and I slept *terribly* last night, so I decided to take a light day today. I also haven't one in awhile so that was nice. I wasn't testing, though I did the first six sets of swings at testing pace. This was when I started to notice my form degrade a bit, so I backed off and added more rest between the sets.

TGUs felt super light. It's hard to believe that back in July I couldn't even do one TGU with the 16! I kept the pace steady, and made it almost meditative. Consciously tried to make each rep identical.

I'm going to try to move back up to four days a week training, so maybe having one of these light days a week will be a thing. I've been doing three for the last little bit, which has seemed to help with recovery somewhat. Maybe three heavy and one light day per week will be the sweet spot.

Thanks @Strong Rick!
12/14/16:
Standard W/U (11:53)
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (12:08): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

I wanted to get a session in yesterday, but work was just not allowing it. I was on the phone from about 7:30 to sometime after 3:00 when I finally got a chance to eat lunch. Also, my nutrition has been crap this week (quality has been fine, but the quantity wasn't where it should be, especially Monday, my fast day.

So that led to today's session feeling like an insurmountable obstacle...until I got going. Once I came out of the warmup (is it just me, or is the first set of squats in the warmup the hardest part of the whole session?), I felt pretty good. Got four 1H swings in with both hands in sets two and three, so that's nice. The ones in set three felt really heavy though, so I'll probably stick with that number for at least another session or two.

TGUs were fine. I was expecting my time to go up a little (though more than it did, so that made me happy), since I enjoyed the meditative aspect of the light day I did on Monday, I slowed these down and made extra effort to make each rep identical.

Other than that, a little elbow pain today, but I left my bands in the other room, so I haven't been doing the antagonist training like I had been. I've corrected that issue, and that should clear up in a few days.

is it just me, or is the first set of squats in the warmup the hardest part of the whole session?
I have days like this also.
This morning was one of those days to be honest.... and I had the same feeling as you once I got going with the swings and get-ups I was moving pretty good.
Nice work on the 24kg getups!

Long time no post! I'm not dead or gone, just took a week over the Christmas holiday!
Got a couple of sessions in over the break, but just didn't get in here to post them.
12/19/16:
Standard W/U (13:46)
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24
TGUs (11:05): 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

This was a good session...got interrupted in my warmup, but otherwise was fine. Did 4 1H on each side in both sets 2 and 3, and felt strong. TGUs were fantastic, felt solid and made an effort to make each rep really "stick".

12/22/16:
Presses: 24x4 each side

Just a quickie since I didn't have much time.

12/26/16:
Did floor press with 5s hold on each side with the new 32! :)

12/27/16:
Standard W/U (10:41)
TGUs (12:34) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Was the first full session back and it was ROUGH. Swings weren't as snappy as usual, at least at first. After about three sets, I got back into my groove. I did 4 1H on both sides, but only on set 2 since I wasn't feeling it. I thought about going back and doing some more around set 6, but decided not to push it and kept on with the 2H.

First couple of reps on the TGUs were rough. In fact, I had about decided to back down to the 16 after my second rep on my left side, but when I did the second rep on the right, that felt really good, so I pressed on (heh, pun intended), and I'm glad I did. The rest of the reps were strong, though my forearms were feeling the burn at the end of rep 5 on both sides! I'm really happy with that time as well; it includes an interruption to remove a cat from my current workout area (moved into the bedroom since my MIL is staying in my office) who has managed to figure out how to open the door and got all up in my grille on my second right hand rep.

Anyway, here's the new "family photo" (to carry on a term from @Bonkin). Funny thing is, the 24 is *almost* the same size as the 32. It *is* the same height, and is only about 1/2 an inch less in diameter...I guess Apollo fills theirs with styrofoam or something. But the new one from CFF is NIIIIIICE. I wish I'd gotten my 24 from them!
KBs.JPG

12/29/16:
Standard W/U (11:53)
TGUs (10:20) 24, 24, 24, 24, 24

Felt strong today, did five 1H swings each side in both sets two and three of the swings, so I *might* be ready to convert those both to 1H entirely...we'll see how I feel next session.

TGUs were awesome. First rep on both sides is back to feeling easy. All the others were strong. After I finished off, I did two reps on each side of floor press and 5s hold with the 32 as a finisher, which was brutal, but I was able to do it!

1/5/2017:
Partial TGUs (To tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 24, 24

I managed to tweak my back (again, sigh). Not even sure how this time, though I expect it involves sitting (so many evils involve sitting). Was hoping to get a session in today, but no dice, so I did what I could...tried the full TGU with the 24 after it went up so light after the 32, but my back told me "no" in no uncertain terms. It was cool how light the 24 felt after the 32 partials though...hopefully that'll keep going.

I managed to tweak my back (again, sigh). Not even sure how this time, though I expect it involves sitting (so many evils involve sitting).

Sorry to hear that. I was reminded over the holiday how much sitting affects the lower back. Several car trips really did a number on mine. The day of, the next day, and even for several days later I felt the effects. I should have used the lumbar cushion, but I didn't. Now I'm back at work and I have a standing desk (easily raises up and down, Veridesk Pro) that lets me stand whenever I want to, which helps a lot. I think it' slowly getting back to normal.

Hope you can identify the cause and mitigate the effects...

1/5/2017:
Partial TGUs (To tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 24, 24

I managed to tweak my back (again, sigh). Not even sure how this time, though I expect it involves sitting (so many evils involve sitting). Was hoping to get a session in today, but no dice, so I did what I could...tried the full TGU with the 24 after it went up so light after the 32, but my back told me "no" in no uncertain terms. It was cool how light the 24 felt after the 32 partials though...hopefully that'll keep going.
just keep working with what ever you can.. slow and steady you will get back!

Sorry to hear that. I was reminded over the holiday how much sitting affects the lower back. Several car trips really did a number on mine. The day of, the next day, and even for several days later I felt the effects. I should have used the lumbar cushion, but I didn't. Now I'm back at work and I have a standing desk (easily raises up and down, Veridesk Pro) that lets me stand whenever I want to, which helps a lot. I think it' slowly getting back to normal.

Hope you can identify the cause and mitigate the effects...

Thanks! I think it's a couple things...too much sitting (I've been eyeing some of those standing desks...glad to hear that you like yours so much!) and my chair when I do sit. It seems to encourage a posterior pelvic tilt when I'm sitting (I think it's posterior...I get the directions confused...basically when your tailbone tucks under), and I think this is a big part of it. I'll look into both a desk and a chair upgrade and see if they'll fit in the budget.

1/6/17:
TGU Partials (to tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 32, 24

These felt good, I could have done the last one with the 32, but I enjoy how light the 24 feels after I get done with the 32. Of course, I could have just done an extra after the five I did on each side, but that didn't occur to me because I'm kind of slow. :D

I did a good job of *not* sitting over the weekend and my back is feeling better, but still not 100% today (and of course, today I'm working, therefore, sitting). I'll see how I feel later this morning, it'll either be a full session today or more of the same.

1/9/2017:
TGU Partials (to tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 32, 32
TGUs: 24

Back is still tight with unloaded movement, so I decided to just do more of the same. That said, I didn't notice any tightness at all (I had, previously) when I was doing the partials, so I figured I'd try a full one with the 24 at the end. I was able to do it, but the left side was quite tight coming out of the lunge. No pain, per se, but *really* tight. No spasm though, which is awesome!

1/10/17:
TGU Partials (to tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 32, 32

One thing I've managed to forget to mention each time is that in all of these, I've been doing a 5s hold at the top of the partials. Today I took that hold to 10s for each rep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom