all posts post new thread

patterner's training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It is, which makes me super happy. Though now I've got another worry.

After I posted yesterday, I decided to do 45s 1H suitcase hold with the 32 (which I've been doing, sporadically, with it since Christmas) to see how my back is doing "fully loaded". Left hand was fine and dandy, back felt a little tight, but no pain at all. Right hand, back was fine, but the nagging elbow pain I've had started to rear its ugly head as soon as I picked up the bell. I had thought this was pretty simple tendinitis, but I've been doing the antagonist training pretty religiously during my lay off, and it's apparently either had no effect, or something else is going on. I don't notice it on the TGUs (actually, when it's flaring up, TGUs make it feel better). I even tried a couple of 2H hike passes with the 16 and *those* caused it to yell at me. I also notice it doing any kind of grip work, so I've been giving that a rest as well.

So, long story short, I might be making a trip to the doctor to figure out what's going on here.

1/12/17:
TGU Partials (tall sit): 32, 32, 32, 32
TGU Partial (to bottom of lunge): 32

Back felt good, so I thought I'd take one a little further. No issues with it, so that's nice, but I don't want to push too far. Scheduled a doc appt for my elbow, but between his schedule and my crazy travel schedule, I won't get in to see him until the 3rd.

I think tomorrow, I'm going to try do a full warm up and at least do the full ROM TGUs, probably with the 24. I still don't think I can swing with my elbow, though.

1/19/17:
Standard W/U
Swings (2H, 60s rest interval, 12:30) 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16
TGUs: 24, 24, 24

First, @Steve Freides THANK YOU for the recommend to contact Ron Farrington...he's seriously good people, and the facility is really nice. Definitely glad to have that as my S&S "home away from home".

First swings back so I went super light to see how my elbow feels. Felt a little tender while I was doing them, and this morning is a fair bit stiff, so I think I'll lay off swings for a bit longer. That being said, I think I might have identified where I'm having an issue. While I was swinging the 16, I only really felt the issue at the bottom of the swing. I'm wondering if it's something to do with my arm position coming out of the bottom. I'm going to try to figure out a way to film myself and put a video up so folks can comment.

On the TGUs, I only got three reps on each side...after that, I just couldn't get out of the hole on the bottom of the lunge. I *think* it's related to a couple of things. One, I haven't done full ROM TGUs in...awhile. Second I'm thinking my knees didn't like fact that the flooring in the facility was more firm than mine. I wish I'd have thought of this last night, because Ron had some additional pads that I probably could have used to alleviate that issue. I'll give that a try next week.

Been quite some time since I've posted, even though I've restarted my practice a bit ago. I started back at the very beginning with the standards for men, 16 in the GU, 24 in the swings doing 5x10 two handed. I've worked my way up to 7x10, with only the first set two handed, so that's nice, and an improvement over my previous practice.

I'm not going to go back and post all those sessions, so I'll just start with today:
Standard warmup: GSQ@24 (w/curls), bridges, halos @16
Swings (1:30 rest interval) 24T, 24L, 24R, 24L, 24R, 24L, 24R
TGUs: 16, 24, 24, 16, 16

Session was rough. I stayed up late last night and didn't sleep well. Also, my diet has been a little funky lately, so that might be contributing. Timing on the GUs isn't helped by the fact that my bloody mats split apart pretty much every rep, sometimes significantly so, which can get a little hinky when I've got the 24 overhead, so I'm having to be extra careful.

Back at training (though I have been for awhile). Started Kettle Bell Muscle today (at least as I understand the program). HOLY COW, I've been doing a lot of autoregulation work for the last couple of months and I have pushed rest times much, so the 2 minute rest was bit of a shock to the system. Working the 16s, since a) it's the only matching pair I have and b) I think using the 24 would actually kill me. :)

I did have to extend my rest on the last set, went from 2m to about 3.5 as I was still blowing HARD after the third set.

KBM W1D1: 4x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ

060120: KBM W1D1: 4x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ @ 16

I repeated this session as I got sick at the end of last week and wasn't able to train for a few days. Silver lining, it allowed me to get into the normal schedule instead of starting on a Wednesday.

060320: KBM W1D2: 4x5 DSW, DSN, SSP @ 16

060520 KBM W1D3: 3x5 DCL, DMP, FSQ, DPP, FSQ @ 16
060820 KBM W2D1: 5x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ @ 16
061020 KBM W2D2: 5x5 DSW, DSN, SSP @ 16

Monday's session was no fun...of course I'd spent the entire day helping my wife move equipment around in our cafe, so I'm sure that didn't help, also the session being so late (9pm) was a contributor.

Today was nice, not really too bad.

One other note, I've been doing 3 minute rests rather then the prescribed 2 minutes...I tried the first couple of session and about died, 3 minutes is much more doable.

Last week's training:
061220 KBM W2D3: 4x5 DCL, DMP, FSQ, DPP, FSQ @ 16
061520 KBM W3D1: 6x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ @ 16
061720 KBM W3D2: 6x5 DSW, DSN, SSP @ 16
061920 KBM W3D3: 5x5 DCL, DMP, FSQ, DPP, FSQ @ 16
062120 KBM W4D1: 4x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ @ 16

Whew, week 3 was rough! Took rests down from 3m to 2m30s for weeks 4-6. Have my D2 session today! :)

062920 KBM W5D1: 5x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ @ 16

Was huffing and puffing at the end of this one! That 5th set was a killer!

070320 KBM W5D5: 4x5 DCL, DMP, FSQ, DPP, FSQ
070720 KBM W6D1: 6x5 DHP, DSN, DMP, FSQ

Oof, really feeling the lack of rest on these sets. Really NOT looking forward to day 5 this week.

Taking a week break from KBM to rest my old man body. Been doing doubles only work for the last three months or so.
071320 S&S: 1HS: 10x10 @24; TGU: 10x1 @24

Practice felt really easy, other than the hard floor on my old man knees. But other than the feel of the floor, the TGUs felt better on my knees than the last ones I did when I had my soft cushy mats on the floor. I think the cushy mats were letting me relax my patella too much, and when I went to push out of the bottom of the lunge, the sudden tension was causing some pain. With the hard floor, can't let that bad boy relax.

The swings (always my weaker part of the program) felt easy like butter...I presume all the snatching and the timed rests has something to do with that.

071520 S&S(ish): 1HS 10x10 @24; partial TGU 10x1 @24; C&P 10x1 @24

So apparently I was wrong about the TGUs and my knees. I wonder if it's a form thing. I'll see about posting a video, but I wasn't able to push out of the bottom without some pretty major pain on the upper right part of my right knee (it's only when I'm pushing out of the bottom with my right leg, so when my left hand is overhead).

So in order to get the overhead in, I threw 5 C&Ps on each side after I was done...I'm thinking about switching these out to windmills, as this (seems to) more closely work the same areas as the top of the TGU.

071720 S&S(ish): 1HS 10x10 @24; partial TGU 10x1 @24; Windwills 5x1 (L&R) @24

I like the windmills better for the overhead portion of the partial TGUs I was doing...boy were they harder than I expected, though! :) Probably because I went straight into them from the TGUs, I'll probably throw in a minute of rest in between if I do this again.

072020 KBM W7D1: DHP, DC&P, DSN, FSQ @ 16
072220 KBM W7D3: DSW, DSN, SSP @ 16
072420 KBM W7D5: FSQ, DSN, DMP, DC&PP, FSQ @ 16

WOW! Monday was hard, but not overwhelmingly so...Wednesday was like an old friend at this point, but holy sweet baby Jesus was today hard...had to bail on rep 3 of the last set of DC&PP (not from a failed rep, just parked bells from the rack as my arms were spaghetti!) to get in another minute of rest before finishing off.

EDIT: English hard.

072720 KBM W8D1: DHP, DC&P, DSN, FSQ @ 16

Not NEARLY as bad a Friday. I did get to thinking that Friday wasn't helped by my (lack of) sleep the night before...I think I barely got 5 hours if that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom