all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pavel about improving calisthenic performance and failure

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi all.
I have read interesting article at military.com with Pavel (link at the end of the thread) about improving calisthenic performance and failure. I know that this topic is deeply covered in Strong Endurance but I just cannot take part in it. It is too expensive for my budget, so I read whatever I can to understand the subject.
My current routine involves daily S&S, mostly at very early hours of a day, 2-3 slow running session a week (moderate distance, 8-16km but it is going to be expanded to 12-21), and occasionally cycling (to and from work, about 17,4 km in one way).
I would like to add pull-ups and push-ups (at least) into my weekly schedule in order to improve strenght endurance.
My goals are 20 Pull-ups and at least 50 Push-ups in a row without stops, but I'm also interested in strenghtenig my whole body and keep it in good shape (I'm hitting 40 next summer).
What would you recommend

Hello,

@mikhael
How many pull ups can you do ?
As long as you recover well from it, I'd add something like Fighter Pull Up Program, on alternate day.

As far as the the push up goes, below is a method which works quite well. By the way, it also works for pull ups:

If some kind of general preparation is your goal, regarding the strength portion using a kettlebell, it will be hard to beat TGU and C&P.
Currently, I run S&S, but also add 3 to 5 heavy singles of C&P (1/2 bdw) per day. It works well as I do not have recovery issue but an increase of strength. This is very smooth. This kind of "daily dose" may not be the fastest way, but it leaves constant level of energy.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
Thanks for quick response to the thread. When it comes to numbers in those two exercises, I can do 10 Pull-ups (even though after 5 rep I hang for 1-2 sec before next is hit), and 20-25 reps of Push-ups (huge decrease when it is confronted with my previous PR, but I have not been practicing this movement lately).

@pet' How would you approach Push-ups according to Pavel's Five Stop Signs? I mean how many sets would you do in a single session and how many such session would you perform during a week? When Pull-ups are considered I think I will hit FPP.

Hello,

@mikhael
For push ups, assuming 20 is your max, you can do multiple ladders of 3. As long as you are fresh, you can keep going. Rest as long as necessary between each rung and each ladder.

The great advantage of the ladder is to split a great volume of work in multiple sets.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Cut down your S&S to 2-3 days. On days you run practice your push ups and pull-ups before and or after you run. Start with iso holds for 3 weeks then to eccentrics for 3 weeks and then to reps
Ex:
Isometrics
Bottom push up hold x15s
Top of pull up hold x15s
do 2 rounds before and 2 after add 5s each week
Eccentric
Push ups
Take 7s to reach bottom position 1s pause at bottom come back to start position Sets of 3-5 reps
Pull ups
Take 7s to reach bottom position 1s pause at bottom come back to start position sets 3-5 reps
Again do 2 rounds before and after

My highest pushup numbers were when I was doing 3x8-12 incline dumbbell presses. Increasing the weight when I could get all three sets of 12.

My best pull-up numbers were when I was similarly doing 3x8-12 seated cable rows.

These forums tend to not suggest hypertrophy training due to fear of increasing bodyweight but it works, and it works well.

What's high score mean? Did I break it?

Hello,

I used to do several sets of 100 'clean' push ups (full ROM, regular pace) when I trained with daily high rep calisthenics.

Then, I switched to C&P as part of my main routine, and OAP / OAOLP as GTG. It maintains sets of 75, but takes way less time. Basically this is more efficient because it increases strength, endurance being a by-product.

Kind regards,

Pet'

These forums tend to not suggest hypertrophy training due to fear of increasing bodyweight but it works, and it works well.
A minor correction, if you will.

Our focus is on the skill of strength; we have nothing against hypertrophy. Please see the article and event link below:

SECOND WIND Express & BUILT STRONG | StrongFirst

Let us note that Built Strong is not traditional hypertrophy training, it's "get bigger and be as strong as you look" training.

From Fabio's article linked above:

Built StrongTraditional Bodybuilding
Sets are performed with a buffer (some reps are always “left in the tank”)Sets are carried to failure
Perfect technique is always maintained, and safety always ensuredTechnique deteriorates as fatigue sets in, which may lead to higher risk of injury
Keeps one fresh and pain free the days that follow the training sessionsMakes one feel fatigued and sore the days that follow the training sessions
Focuses on movement patternsFocuses on isolating single muscles
Preserves movement quality, flexibility, and improves postureDoes not necessarily preserve movement quality, flexibility, and good posture
Based on algorithms which ensure a precise adjustment and customization of the training loadsMost often instinctive, leading to more risk of under- or over-training
Increases one’s strength while building muscleDoesn’t necessarily make one stronger
Requires minimalist equipmentRequires more sophisticated equipment, often including machines
Inconsistency among the duration of training sessions, with some very short and some very long. Not suitable for those with a limited and well-defined time to devote to trainingThe length of the training sessions is customizable; for those with a limited and well-defined time to devote to training

I
-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom