all posts post new thread

Barbell Pavel -Alexander Faleev’s article

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

austin3d

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello,

My name is David and I'm 49, 6'3" and weigh 198lbs. I'm currently barbell training based on the Pavel article mentioning Faleev's strategy. I would consider myself a novice.

M-F, one lift per day.

Monday - heavy lower back squat, 5x5
Tuesday - heavy BP, 5x5
Wednesday - heavy DL, 5x5
Thursday - light lower back squat(80% of heavy day) 5x4
Friday - light BP(80% of heavy day) 5x4

I also enjoy the overhead press. Is there a way to incorporate it with a program like this and if yes, what would be the best way? I was thinking one week, I would do the BP and the next week I would do the overhead press. I just don't know if switching it out every other week would work and limit my gains in BP and overhead press. My thought process is that the 2 lifts would compliment each other so it might work...but I'm a novice so that's why I'm asking for help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think it could be best to switch exercises in blocks with this, like do 4-8 weeks with the typical exercises and then try something like zercher squat, overhead press, sumo deadlift.

Have a look at Starting Strength programming. 3 days a week, you rotate bench/ military press every work out.

Have a look at Starting Strength programming. 3 days a week, you rotate bench/ military press every work out.
Funny you mention Starting Strength. I was on their program the last 7 weeks and saw great gains being a novice. Their book, Basic Barbell Training, is incredible and one of the best books I have read on proper technique and the science behind the lifts. The problem I had was towards weeks 6 and 7 is the weight got to a point where it was pretty demanding to do 3 heavy lifts in one workout. I was not enjoying it and I was lacking energy afterwards...especially for my Jiu Jitsu workouts. I switched over to the Alexander Faleev's program last week and enjoying it much more. I love just doing one main lift and getting on with my day and I feel great going into my Jiu Jitsu training. I also like Faleev's recommendation of not burning out a rep but leaving it and your energy for the next set. With SS, you don't dare think about not completing all your reps.

Switch Tuesday Heavy Bench and Friday Light Bench

Adding Press to Deadlift day. A few moderate to moderate heavy should not take much from Deadlift.

Could do Pres on light squat day. The bar is already set up. Few sets of Press may even warmup your back rack.

Few options. As back off work on Bench day. Work up to goal set of the day, and do a few 70-80% Press sets for some volume.

Wouldn’t hurt to have a day off in there somewhere and lift Saturday. After Heavy DL.

If you already have experience with press, you can do one set of 5 everyday,

I would rotate bench and OH press every 2 or 3 weeks depending on what feels best for you. I personally have had success with building and maintaining strength switching every two weeks. As I use first week as practice and form and the second week slightly pushing it but never missing a rep.

If you guys don't mind me piggy backing on this thread, can someone share how should beginner's cycle this program? Do you cycle it similarly to PTTP (10-15 workouts), and then reset 10 lbs higher? I have also read that the cycle for this program can be longer 6-12 weeks, as well as a post from Pavel that there is no need to cycle for a while as a beginner on this program? Would appreciate some clarity... thanks!

@austin3d : I tried Starting Strength for about 2.5 weeks and I found it highly incompatible with grappling as well as life (jobs, kids, etc). Felt totally burnt out and the time commitment was not sustainable.

I have successfully done several cycles of Power to the People during this lockdown and felt great. I think it might be the perfect program for the long term and while I wasn't doing any Jiu-Jitsu as my gyms closed, I felt that it would go well with Jiu-Jitsu based on how I felt.

I just started finished my first week of Faleev's program so I'm really glad to hear that you are having success doing it while doing Jiu-Jitsu simultaneously.

How often do you grapple? And how far along are you in your grappling journey?

Last edited by a moderator:
THow would you suggest adding weight/ progressing with this? Structured wave?
I will increase the weight each week until i cannot do one good set of 5 more than two days per week. The weight for everyday is the same, except in heavy bench press day - maybe about 80% weight of the week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom