all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel Gearpatrol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I did this last year (August/September) and used a 36kg bell. Other than the presses, I added in some variation of squatting and windmills and it wasn't bad. That being said, I just prefer one-armed swings.

I did this last year (August/September) and used a 36kg bell. Other than the presses, I added in some variation of squatting and windmills and it wasn't bad. That being said, I just prefer one-armed swings.
Interesting. If my memory serves, you have done S&S too, so can you compare those two programs? Pros and cons.

Interesting. If my memory serves, you have done S&S too, so can you compare those two programs? Pros and cons.
Since I prefer one-armed swings I would say S&S is a better long term option. TBH, I am kind of "over" TGUs at this point so I prefer a combination of one-armed swings, windmills, and front squats as a modified "program minimum".

Since I prefer one-armed swings I would say S&S is a better long term option. TBH, I am kind of "over" TGUs at this point so I prefer a combination of one-armed swings, windmills, and front squats as a modified "program minimum".
Thanks for the response. I agree with you about the get-ups. But I guess every lift start to suck at some point when one does them a lot. I’m done with the one-hand swings for now, so I try two-hand version only next. But I have to fix my back first.

As a counterpoint, at a certain weight I can do a set of 5-4-3-2-1 but not 1-2-3-4-5; how do you weigh that in deciding whether to do ascending vs descending and which is better?
One is clearly harder than the other.

In my own training, I have not found a use for a descending ladder of the same exercise - it's too easy. 1-2-3-4-5 with the same weight, or 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 with the same weight for more hypertrophy, or 5-4-3-2-1 with increasing weights, the latter being a great way to get used to working up to a heavy single.

-S-

Started this today. If it works, then I’ll continue until it does not. ROP or PM after that and then S&S again, if I feel need for it. But now two-hand swings and presses only.

I'm quite convinced that presses train the kind of muscles needed to practice fencing with, so these have to happen in my workouts.
I can most definitely see that. The other thing to consider in terms of specificity is the thrust or quick jabs. Push press and jerk work great for that as well.

One is clearly harder than the other.

In my own training, I have not found a use for a descending ladder of the same exercise - it's too easy. 1-2-3-4-5 with the same weight, or 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 with the same weight for more hypertrophy, or 5-4-3-2-1 with increasing weights, the latter being a great way to get used to working up to a heavy single.

-S-
Totally agree with efforts required.
Quite useful to build volume and then own that volume to work up with descending Ladders and once achieved flip the ladder for the same reps. IE 5-4-3-2-1 etc once volume is achieved go for 1-2-3-4-5.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom