all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel Gearpatrol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Great find @54321 !
I'd call that program ROP Lite.
For anyone who doesn't want to click the link, here is the program:

Monday:

• Swings: 25 reps x 3 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
  • Press: 2 ladders of 2, 3 and 5 reps
Wednesday:
  • Swings: 25 reps x 4 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
Friday:
  • Swings: 25 reps x 5 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
"Alternate between heavy and light days. On light days stay with two sets of two-three-five. On heavy days gradually increase the number of ladders to five."

Great find @54321 !
I'd call that program ROP Lite.
For anyone who doesn't want to click the link, here is the program:

Monday:

• Swings: 25 reps x 3 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
Wednesday:
  • Swings: 25 reps x 4 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
Friday:
  • Swings: 25 reps x 5 sets, 3 minutes rest between each
"Alternate between heavy and light days. On light days stay with two sets of two-three-five. On heavy days gradually increase the number of ladders to five."
Nice summary. Aptly named.

So sets of 25 would have to be with a lighter kettlebell than with typical S&S?
The plan calls for 2-Hand Swings, but here is Pavel's weight recommendation from the Article:

"The recommended starting weight for a typical guy “who works out” is 53 pounds. Your eventual goal is to double that weight. When you can show a 106-pound kettlebell who is the boss, you will feel invincible"

The plan calls for 2-Hand Swings, but here is Pavel's weight recommendation from the Article:

"The recommended starting weight for a typical guy “who works out” is 53 pounds. Your eventual goal is to double that weight. When you can show a 106-pound kettlebell who is the boss, you will feel invincible"
So the 48kg swung 2-handed in sets of 25. Yes, do that and you're a god.

So sets of 25 would have to be with a lighter kettlebell than with typical S&S?
No. Think of a set of 25 with your "typical S&S" weight. You'll only be doing 1 set every 10 minutes. When I've done this, it's been about 1/2 bodyweight for 25 reps, or about 2/3 bodyweight and I'll stop after 15-20 reps.

This kind of swing set is, IMO, something we don't recommend enough when time is extremely short. I will, if I have only one minute for exercise, often do just one heavy set of swings as described above. It's a pretty effective use of 60 seconds.

-S-

I kind of like the first programming, will add this to my week to play with my daughter!!
Captura de Pantalla 2021-02-27 a la(s) 20.51.36.png

No. Think of a set of 25 with your "typical S&S" weight. You'll only be doing 1 set every 10 minutes. When I've done this, it's been about 1/2 bodyweight for 25 reps, or about 2/3 bodyweight and I'll stop after 15-20 reps.

This kind of swing set is, IMO, something we don't recommend enough when time is extremely short. I will, if I have only one minute for exercise, often do just one heavy set of swings as described above. It's a pretty effective use of 60 seconds.

-S-
Yes, it's 2 handed, so why would I want to go lighter than my 32? Good point! :)

I think I'm too stuck in the "purist" mindset of "I follow S&S and I'm afraid to mess with it".
Evidently doing other kind of swings like this would be good for me.

A funny thing is I felt doing 2h swings with the 40kg was better for judo than 1h swings with the 32. I could put more into those 2h swings and so I could put more into yanking my opponents around on the mats. The deadlifting was also good of course.

Last edited:
You know where to stop. Reverse ladder is a guess for the first set.

As a counterpoint, at a certain weight I can do a set of 5-4-3-2-1 but not 1-2-3-4-5; how do you weigh that in deciding whether to do ascending vs descending and which is better?

As a counterpoint, at a certain weight I can do a set of 5-4-3-2-1 but not 1-2-3-4-5; how do you weigh that in deciding whether to do ascending vs descending and which is better?
My guess is however you can “Lift the heaviest weight for as many reps while remaining as fresh as possible” (Pavel) is best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom