all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel:Progressing From Two Hand to One Hand Swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SimplicityIsKing

Level 4 Valued Member
In Simple and Sinister, Pavel says to progress from 5 x 10 -> 7-8 x 10 -> 10 x 10. Is the expectation that you are comfortable with 5 x 10 one arm swings before moving on to the 7 x 10 swings? Would you recommend one sticks with 5 x 10 until one arm swings are mastered? I've read the Steve Freides article about progressing as well.

Thank you.

@SimplicityIsKing, that's a good question, IMHO. I think perhaps the simplest answer is that almost any way you want to gradually add in 1h swings is OK - by the set, by part of a set, even by temporarily going back to a lighter weight for your 1h swings.

Another approach I've had good results from: taking 3-5 sessions of more than 10 reps in a set with a lighter weight, working up to 20-25 reps per hand, and then switching back to the heavier weight for sets of 5 and building that back up to 10's.

Probably the thing to do for an FAQ is try to present a handful of possibilities with instructions for altering any of them as needed, e.g., I also like the H2H swing with a weight that's too heavy for 10 1h swings, and then changing that to switching every 2 reps instead of every 1 - there are so many possibilities, it's an interesting thing to juggle how to present enough options without trying to list them all.

-S-

When I went from two-handed to one-handed at my second weight step (started at 16, now at 24), I was at 10 x 10 and worked in one one-hand set of 10 at a time. So I was always doing 100 swings, but the mix of one-hand / two-hand was changing each time until it was 100 one-arm.

My read of that section of the book is for when you are getting started with any swings, and it is two-handed until 10x10 when you start converting to one-arm.

Hello,

@SimplicityIsKing
I always icnreased my number of 1h sets only once I got comfortable with the previous step. I think the simplest way to do it is to try when you know you will succeed in adding 1 set each side. This is a feeling based approach, which is based on your body signal reading.

However, there are a lot of progression methods: HR monitoring, talk test (which works more or less the same way). Using a 2H with a heavier bell, to then make the 1H with a lighter bell far easier

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@SimplicityIsKing
To a certain extent, stance can also help. Narrow or wide stance works differently on legs and back / core. Of course, it is always good to work on different variations. However, maybe you will be more comfortable using a specific stance.

Hello,

@SimplicityIsKing
To a certain extent, stance can also help. Narrow or wide stance works differently on legs and back / core. Of course, it is always good to work on different variations. However, maybe you will be more comfortable using a specific stance.
Please elaborate. I don't know anything about how stance affects the exercise.

Hello,

Maybe it is an highly personal feeling... So I do not say that it is a general rule ;)

I noticed that a wide stance (meaning a "sumo stance") put less focus on legs (quads, hamstrings) due to knee angle. Indeed, the more I use a wide stance, the more my knees are easy to lock. With locked knee, it becomes totally unatural to bend the the leg as much as when you use a narrow stance. If you do so, your knees will point inwards. Then, There is a great focus on back and core because legs are less mobile.

When I use a narrow stance (meaning a "standard" stance), I get a great knee ROM (if you look at from the side). Then, I can bend my legs far more than using a wide stance. The more I bend, the more I have to do an effort to throw the bell in front of me. Here, quads and hamstrings are a great assistance to lower back. Here there is no knee lock

Kind regards,

Pet'

I know I have to adjust my stance for two-arm (wider) or one-arm (narrower). Mostly to accommodate the bell handle and two hands fitting in the small triangle above the knees. I don't think my legs are very long proportionately to my arms, so it looks different than Pavel T. who appears to have very long legs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom