all posts post new thread

Barbell Pavel was right; Zercher Squat is the best squat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWI5

Level 4 Valued Member
My first (Wendler 5/3/1) squat session of my new cycle had a significant change, I shifted to Zercher Squat from low bar back squat. Wow. My training max is almost 15kg less than my low bar squat, but the day after DOMS are very similar to when I do a 45 minute agressive bush training hike ( I believe hiking is now called 'rucking', but instead of food, water and ammo- you carry specially designed weights in your pack..) up, over the top and down a steep bush face behind the house, while wearing my usual hunting load out. My upper body feels the training as well, almost like I've been wrestling. I have very few regrets in life, but not Zercher squatting earlier is one of them. This move is perfect for 'real life' training. Much more so than any 'normal' back squattting I reckon. Big thanks to the Strongfirst IRON GODDESS AnnaC for her videos and of course...Christian Thibaudeau- his T Nation videos have helped immensely. The Zercher Squat ( off the rack or of the ground) will be a mainstay lift from now on.

Excellent question! All of ....two weeks. However, I feel a total body effect that far exceeds anything I have felt from high bar, low bar, goblet or double kettlebell squats- from an equivalent initial time frame. Knowing my body, I am totally amped knowing the huge muscular adaption I am going to reap from the Zercher Squat. It's going to be a painful journey....

Excellent question! All of ....two weeks. However, I feel a total body effect that far exceeds anything I have felt from high bar, low bar, goblet or double kettlebell squats- from an equivalent initial time frame. Knowing my body, I am totally amped knowing the huge muscular adaption I am going to reap from the Zercher Squat. It's going to be a painful journey....

If you're looking for a total body effect and getting sore in a whole new way, give deficit snatch grip deadlifts a try.

I found an old 40kg bag of cement in one of the sheds. I'm going to wrap a couple of rolls of duct tape around it- perfect for my Thursday loaded carry day. Zercher deadlift to bear hug and proceed to greatness... I tried some lightweight full cycle Zercher squats- now that's another move that will become a mainstay lift.

I like Zercher Squats and the Zercher Lift a lot, but Back Squat is the undisputed strength builder.

I haven’t Back Squatted in years I prefer Zercher or Front Squat. I can go heavy enough, save my upper body for pressing, and use Deadlift as my main driver of strength. Personal preference and experience.

Big fan of the front squat which I would say is very similar to the Zercher. My guess is that Pavel chose the Zercher over the barbell front squat simply because many people cannot get around the flexibility issues and wrist discomfort issues that come with the barbell front squat.

Back Squat is the undisputed strength builder.

I have found in my experience that the front squat improves many things for me. Front squat improves my back squat, but not necessarily the other way around. Still, I do not disagree with your statement.

I don't have a squat rack at the work gym. If I had the mobility and technique, I'd want to do a cycle of front squats from a clean. As it is, I'm doing a cycle of deep, upright zercher squats. I like how I can do a cycle in this way, and also cycle in the more hip powered variation where I sit back into a back squat pattern.

I've found that my leg power is lacking compared to my hinge strength. Zercher squat with the bar glued to my body gets the legs and core.

I just heard an interview where Ed Coan told how he would want to get leg strength up in off season with front squats since that was his "weakness" (compared to posterior chain for him) in his squat. Relates to another recent discussion here as well on training weaknesses to facilitate overall strength. Marty Gallagher describes a similar mindset from Ken Fantano in Purposeful Primitive

Last edited:
I don't have a squat rack at the work gym. If I had the mobility and technique, I'd want to do a cycle of front squats from a clean. As it is, I'm doing a cycle of deep, upright zercher squats. I like how I can do a cycle in this way, and also cycle in the more hip powered variation where I sit back into a back squat pattern.

I've found that my leg power is lacking compared to my hinge strength. Zercher squat with the bar glued to my body gets the legs and core.

I just heard an interview where Ed Coan told how he would want to get leg strength up in off season with front squats since that was his "weakness" (compared to posterior chain for him) in his squat. Relates to another recent discussion here as well on training weaknesses to facilitate overall strength. Marty Gallagher describes a similar mindset from Ken Fantano in Purposeful Primitive

So do you deadlift the bar first and rack it on your knees then lift it? I performed this lift a bit at home in this manner but never really used a narrow stance. I'm also more hip dominant and was far stronger in a wider stance, sitting back like a deep good morning almost. Are you using it to up your squat strength?

Yes, I deadlift it first then lower it onto my knees. I used my most comfortable deep squat stance, which is still a little wide (my heels are about as far apart as the width of my shoulders), maybe because I have long legs. But I am not sitting back very far. I'm bringing my tail bone towards a spot just behind my heels. The range of motion is limited by the bar running into my leg, but its still pretty deep. I am pulling the bar against my body the whole time. When I do a more hip dominant Zercher squat, I let my elbows drift away from body as I sit back (and can lift almost twice the weight).

Also yes, I'm using it to up my squat strength, in place of the front squat which I don't feel I have the technique for. Right now my conventional deadlift is three times my deep, upright squat so I want bring up my leg strength. It feels like the limiting factor in my back squats, plus I have to gym hop to use a squat rack, so its nice to take a cycle away from that.

Last edited:
We must have pretty similar body types. I also usually do the zercher in a more hip dominant style, which is similar to my back squat style. It seems we've also stumbled upon zercher's under similar circumstances...no squat rack. And here I am thinking no else does that lift anywhere but here! Hope it helps with the leg strength! I am sure it will as the style you've described forces a more upright posture. And finding an exercise you're weak at is often a really great thing, as it will be very beneficial for improving your particular trouble spots!

Speaking of leg strength- due to my not being able to lift as much weight with the Zercher Squat (compared to my back squat, in time hopefully I will narrow the gap) I have decided to add the hip belt squat as a finisher after my Zercher Squat. I don't need a squat rack for the hip belt squat and this technique is all quads- zero upper body. I use a snatch strap with loops at both ends. Wrapped around my waist and slid over the end of my barbell, landmine style. What a cool technique! A total quad smoker.

Here is a what I've been doing for happy fun time...120lb Water Bag for Zercher Squats. I just shoulder the bag and adjust it around to the Zercher position. I've also managed a getup with the same 120lb water bag on both sides. Its on another level from the sandbag. Its alive and going everywhere.

Need more detail on the water bag- I googled and saw lots of images of up to 10 litre containers....sounds like a 'slosh pipe', but in bag form?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom