all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel's 4 Week Kettlebell Shred

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

obreaslainp

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi Guys,

I just stumbled on this program on mensfitness.com today and was wondering if any of you have tried it, and what results you had? (http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/4-week-kettlebell-shred)

Thanks for the link. I'd like to know what is meant by this:

"Before the swings, work your calves for 10 minutes..."

Would that be strength (i.e. calf raises) or flexibility work?

Looks good (stating the obvious perhaps, since it's a Pavel program), might give this a try in August. Thanks Pol.

Chris, regarding the calves, it is a typo.  It was supposed to be: "Between the two pullup series work your calves for 10 min.  or do some “health training”: work on your ankle and neck mobility, stretch your hip flexors, etc."  Calf work is active rest for the upper body.

No worries Faisal. I'm thinking of trying it myself  once I finish my current program.

Pavel, thanks for the clarification. I had wondered because the program seemed to be mostly training using the ATP-CP system and the calf training seemed out of place.

It says that you could expect to put on 5-8 lbs of muscle in the 4 weeks if eating enough protein, I was just wondering what it would be like for fat loss? Thanks again.

Pavel, one more quick question if I may. I noticed that you said "between the two pullup series" . Is it 3 sets of 5 doing the health training between each set? Or is it two series of 3 sets of 5 reps with the 10 minutes in between? Sorry for the confusion.

Pol, the logic behind the fat loss got edited out:

At StrongFirst we never focused on fat loss—and got it anyway as a side effect of our strength and power oriented training.  We used to call it “the what the hell effect” until StrongFirst master instructor Geoff Neupert came across a study by Izumiya et al. (2008).  From the study’s title: “Fast… fiber growth reduces fat mass and improves metabolic parameters…”  Neupert, an accomplished Olympic lifter himself, pointed out how lean weightlifters are—all without the dishonor of “cardio”.  Indeed, the Soviet national team had a standard of 6-7% bodyfat for everyone but heavyweights—and David Rigert, one of the greatest weightlifters of all time, had 4% bodyfat at a bodyweight of 200-220.  He called it “dry, fighting weight”.

What is extraordinary about the study is "... a reduction in accumulated white adipose tissue and improvements in metabolic parameters independent of physical activity or changes in the level of food intake." (the emphasis is mine—P.T.)  Neupert, who would become our resident fat loss expert, has commented, “So you don't have to rely on things like EPOC, otherwise known as "the Afterburn Effect", and you don't have to rely on getting your heart rate up to burn off calories.  And without changing your diet—or going on a diet!  How cool is this?!”

More great news: you do not have to wait until you have build as much muscle as a Russian weightlifter.   The researchers concluded that, "The results from the current study indicate that modest increases in type 2B skeletal muscle mass can have a profound systemic effect on whole-body metabolism and adipose tissue."

Wow, that is brilliant and what a shame they left this out from the article. Pavel, thank you for elaborating. Pol, thank you for asking the great question.

A quick question if I may... the 4-6 minutes rest is between each set or when from going from FSQ -> MP etc. I understood it to mean 4-6 minutes between each set but Geoff recently sent some emails saying for fat loss we should have shorter rest periods so wanted to be clear.

Hi everyone! Quick question, the article says "beginners use 53 pounds, while advanced strength trained athletes use 70- 106-pound kettlebells."  So, would that be two 70lbs KB's for all the double KB exercises?

Thanks much in advanced!

Cheers!

That line relates to swings, which are not double from what I understand as further down it talks about two handed kettlebell swings on Tuesday and Friday.

"On Mondays/Thursdays use 5-8 1RM in the double kettlebell front squat and double kettlebell press. For the kettlebell swings, beginners use 53 pounds (24 kg), while advanced strength trained athletes use 70- 106-pound (32 – 48 kg) kettlebells."

Pavel, the first workout listed shows FS, MP, then FS again, then MP again - is that right or is that a typo?

Thanks.

WEEK 1
MONDAY AND THURSDAY
DOUBLE KETTLEBELL FRONT SQUAT
Sets: 3
Reps: 5
Pavel says ...

DOUBLE KETTLEBELL MILITARY PRESS
Pavel says ...

DOUBLE KETTLEBELL FRONT SQUAT

DOUBLE KETTLEBELL MILITARY PRESS

Well, I guess we'll assume it's correct as written, then - I might give this a try sometime in the not-too-distant future.

-S-

I finally managed to fit this program in, 22nd Dec to 16th Jan. I really enjoyed the program. Used a pair of 24kg for squats and presses and a 32kg for the 2H swings, used around 5 mins breaks between the presses and less between the squats (2-4 minutes).

I gained a few kg, mostly muscle (I hope). The last couple of sets of presses got pretty hard and I had to push press to complete the final rep or two. Middle of week 2, I tweaked my elbow while doing pull-ups so dropped the pull-ups for the remainder program.

My press improved quite significantly.

Thanks Pavel for another great program.

I am about to give this a crack as i wanted something to fill a 4 week gap prior to holidays where my focus will be body weight training GTG style. Seeing Faisal's comments regarding improvements in press, this is something i am hoping to report after the 4 weeks.
I have just done ROP and while i completed the 5 rep ladders with the 24 kg, i am nowhere near a 1/2 BW press (BW 85 kg), as I cant press a 32kg although there was improvement with ROP where i could actually move it "a bit".

Additionally i also saw improvements with the press from SS!, and I also see it as a good introduction to double KB work.
cheers
Jon

Welcome, ramblingjon.

I have moved this thread to the Kettlebell section.

If you completed the ROP with a 24, could you please post a video of your press? Please also try to press a 28 kg and post that.

-S-

Welcome, ramblingjon.

If you completed the ROP with a 24, could you please post a video of your press? Please also try to press a 28 kg and post that.

-S-
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome. I will see how my techno skills work and post a video. I actually dont have a 28 at the moment.... pairs of 16's and 24's and a single 32.

cheers

Welcome, ramblingjon.

-S-
Steve 24 and 32 videos attached. Excuse tv noise.

Cleans are a bit messy. I had just done a variety day with this and did SS with the 32. Pleasantly surprised with my first ever 32 press though.

All and any comments welcome

Cheers again

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom