all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Pavels' Advice for Dumbells

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Pavel Macek I love the Straight Arm DB Snatch. Really fun exercise. I sometimes use it on a variety day. When I practice it always I wonder why I don't use it more.

I also love the One Arm DB Clean and Jerk, Circus DB style.

@Pavel Macek I love the Straight Arm DB Snatch. Really fun exercise. I sometimes use it on a variety day. When I practice it always I wonder why I don't use it more.

I also love the One Arm DB Clean and Jerk, Circus DB style.

The DB straight arm snatch combines the kettlebell swing movement with something of the at least last part of the Turkish get up. I could see doing it instead of the kettlebell swings if I don't have access to kettlebells. The clean and press (or jerk) would be a nice compliment to it, getting a press into the game. I suppose these would be particularly good for if the dumbell isn't heavy enough to be worth doing the Turkish getups with it. If the dumbell IS heavy enough, I imagine I'd replace the clean and press with the Turkish get up then.

And of course, being someone who has only lifted weights seriously for the past 5 months, my thoughts are only to see what more experienced people might write as responses.

Last edited:
I am not Pavel (T.), but I would suggest following:

- get-ups
- bent-presses
- one-leg deadlifts
- snatches (I would personally do heavier, and dead stop, not to scare the knees)

If the gym has a barbell, I would do barbell deadlifts + dumbbell bent presses. No equipment? The Naked Warrior. I do these two when I am on holiday.

Here is a nice photo series of a dumbbell snatch with a dip (called swing back in the old days) from my collection, enjoy:

View attachment 675

Excellent tips! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom