all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Pavel's new book.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
In with you on that Mike would love to see some of the Plan Strong and Conditioning protocols in it..fingers crossed..

2 years for all of us to meet at least Simple standards - and some of us Sinister. Are we all there? If yes, there is a foundation to build on. If not...
I'm with you on that! Plenty of work to do with S&S, as well as Pavel's extensive back-catalog. Reaching Simple and then a few rounds of RoP will keep me busy into 2018 at least.

Not to say I wouldn't immensely enjoy a new book from Pavel, no matter what it's about and even if I can't get to it until achieving my other goals.

2 years for all of us to meet at least Simple standards - and some of us Sinister. Are we all there? If yes, there is a foundation to build on. If not...
Respectfully, expecting everyone who comes to SFG to achieve Simple is unrealistic. I came to SF with kettlebell skills, and rather than let them go to waste, I am doing a RoP inspired workout. If 50% of the people who start S&S achieve Simple, I would be shocked and think it is completely awesome that my doubts were proven wrong.

@Mark Kidd I respectfully disagree.

"Simple" goals are very realistic for most.
Will it take some time, consistency, and dedication?
Yes.
Is it worth?
Absolutely.
Your other kettlebell skills will not go to waste - a good foundation pays off.

Hello,

I took me one year and a half to reach Simple and going slightly heavier. I think patience, practice, dedication are enough. It took me 2 years to build a one arm chin up. Each time, focusing on a very few moves (when we talk about strength, because it can be different for flexibility / mobility or combination of strength / flexibility / mobility) help to progress faster.

Realistic expectations are crucial. It implies to be humble. I want to hit a free standing HSPU, not a 1A HSPU on a ball. Smooth progression, at our own pace is the key

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Mark Kidd I respectfully disagree.

"Simple" goals are very realistic for most.
Will it take some time, consistency, and dedication?
Yes.
Is it worth?
Absolutely.
Your other kettlebell skills will not go to waste - a good foundation pays off.

If skills aren't practiced they aren't maintained. There maybe people who are exceptions, but I doubt many people fall in that category.

I think S&S is a great program, it just might not be for everyone.

@Mark Kidd you can maintain the skills with lighter bells the doing S&S, no problem at all - that is what I do (swings/get-ups with 44/48, all the rest separately with 24s). Don't forget that "Only the mediocre are always at their best". Applies to waving the load/peaking, and skill proficiency at different lifts as well. I am OK with my numbers going bit lower in the lifts I do not practice right now.

I think S&S is a great program, it just might not be for everyone

True of course, but - we can say that about any other Pavel's program.

My general point is: instead of asking for another book to just add to the collection, let us all follow any of Pavel's previous books, and get stronger.

Knowledge is not power. The ability to apply the knowledge is true power.

Hello,

I think we can get general : S&S is "only" a tool (even if this is a great tool of course !). Beyond that, there is your motivation to reach a goal. More than once, I felt I will never reach a GU @40. I am far more an endurance guy, but for me, a GU @32 is more than 1/2bdw, 40 is almots 70%. If you do not rush, do not overthink figures, Simple is achievable for most of us. As the saying goes "Where the mind goes, the body will follow". Maybe it will be long, but it will.

Way of life (rest management, eating habits, etc...)are crucial factor too.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Pavel Macek

I see your point now, I think we have been in agreement that there are other ways to get strong.

I know S&S is a proven system that is fundamental to SF. But it may not be the best fit for everyone who comes to SF. As you mentioned Pavel has other books, so why not choose one of them if it means the person sticks with SF?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Plus, it strongly depends on the goal one has. For example, some people will firstly look for hypertrophy, and secondly for strength. For some others, it will be the contrary. Before starting a program, it is important to know its goal. Indeed, a poorly adapted program will put one on the bad track. Then one will lose motivation and focus. So necessarily one will say that this program is not worthy. Nonetheless, it would be better to say "this program is not worthy...for this [my] purpose".

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Mark Kidd Agreed, that is what I wrote. Since S&S is Pavel's last book, I have mentioned S&S in the first place.

@pet' Agreed. However, the road to somebody's goals is usually quite different than the person thinks/wants. For example getting stronger is one of the best ways to hypertrophy. Don't get me started about movement and health.

Last edited:
I've followed S and S for over a year and hit Simple. I'm not on it now as I'm preparing for an SFG in October. I'm following a programme by my coach so I'm not interested in programme hopping, just interested in seeing what Pavel will produce next. Being also a Dan John disciple you tend to get spoiled with new book releases. I'm sure it 'll be worth the wait. Thanks guys..

I've followed S and S for over a year and hit Simple. I'm not on it now as I'm preparing for an SFG in October. I'm following a programme by my coach so I'm not interested in programme hopping, just interested in seeing what Pavel will produce next. Being also a Dan John disciple you tend to get spoiled with new book releases. I'm sure it 'll be worth the wait. Thanks guys..
Dan is a writing machine. It's crazy how much he turns out.

I am so excited to read Pavel's next book! Until then, I will be continuing to work towards Sinister along with some easy strength barbell work... so that will keep me busy for a while :) Bigger the base, higher the pyramid.

When I purchased my paperback version of Kettlebell Simple and Sinister book, I thought I'm never gonna make any of those standards ever. Started the program and thought; okay maybe I can achieve Simple. Tomorrow I'm going to finish my TGU reps @25 kg bell and maybe next week move up bigger bell with both lifts. I'm going to adapt to the weight first. All I try to say is; thinks can be done if one wants to. Not if, but when I've achieved Simple, I'm going to start hunting "Solid" next. I already have 40 kg bell.

Exactly same feeling on S&S as @masa - I decided to achieve Simple, and focus on something else, thinking that Sinister is out of my range.
I'm on RoP now and doing some swings and get ups with 40kg on variety days. It's not that heavy as I was thinking. Actually it seems lighter every week.

I feel that if I push with S&S for a couple of months I would have a good chance for achieving Solid. It's definitely doable.

And if I achieve Solid, than it just 8kg more to Sinister... Amazing program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom