all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Pavel's new book.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
An underrated aspect of S&S is that it works even without a specific goal. Of course it's very good to have specific goals, but there are so many people out there with vague goals like "I just want to be leaner" or things like that.
Every other program I know has specific day to day and longtime goals. For example Starting Strength, 5/3/1, even RoP and all the other similar programs all tell you to do X reps @ Y weight on day Z.
If you don't make it you failed and have to reset. Resets are actual parts of many of those programs.
With S&S you don't have to use a little bit more weight than in the last session (cf. Starting Strength), a certain amount of more/less reps (cf. rungs in RoP) or some specific percentage based weight/rep combination (cf. 5/3/1).
All you need to do is 10x10 swings and 10 TGUs with a weight that you pick and just do it. It doesn't matter if you can't make it through the whole session sometimes, because it doesn't affect your other sessions of that week like it would do with the other programs.

An underrated aspect of S&S is that it works even without a specific goal. Of course it's very good to have specific goals, but there are so many people out there with vague goals like "I just want to be leaner" or things like that.
Every other program I know has specific day to day and longtime goals. For example Starting Strength, 5/3/1, even RoP and all the other similar programs all tell you to do X reps @ Y weight on day Z.
If you don't make it you failed and have to reset. Resets are actual parts of many of those programs.
With S&S you don't have to use a little bit more weight than in the last session (cf. Starting Strength), a certain amount of more/less reps (cf. rungs in RoP) or some specific percentage based weight/rep combination (cf. 5/3/1).
All you need to do is 10x10 swings and 10 TGUs with a weight that you pick and just do it. It doesn't matter if you can't make it through the whole session sometimes, because it doesn't affect your other sessions of that week like it would do with the other programs.
Good point, I hadn't thought of it like that before. Even on an "off day", you can do overspeed eccentric swings and "long" getups pausing at each stage, with a ligher 'bell. And it doesn't leave you "behind" in making progress - it itself is forward progress (better than nothing).

@Pavel Macek

I see your point now, I think we have been in agreement that there are other ways to get strong.

I know S&S is a proven system that is fundamental to SF. But it may not be the best fit for everyone who comes to SF. As you mentioned Pavel has other books, so why not choose one of them if it means the person sticks with SF?

Cheers
SF has quite a number of different programmes to follow, including for kettlebells. The ones that they figured would be better for more people they published as books, but there are quite a number of programmes to follow on this site alone.

Still, every time I get innovative with S&S or deviate from it, I end up coming back to it and seeing why I did.

Everything looks good on paper but few things will keep you at them for long in reality. Exercise programmes have to work, be reasonably "fun", not overly demanding nor time consuming.

I'm on "Solid" now (40kg) and handling it quite well. I'll repeat that it is a new programme at this heavier weight even though it's the same moves as "Simple" with the 32.

Hello,

What @Kozushi says is true. S&S offers new dimensions each time you go for a weight increase, because you have to refine technique, manage rest, etc... However, the heavier the go, the healthier you will be, IMO. This is an highly scalable program. Plus, an increase of only a few kg in S&S will be much more than only "a few" in a specific lift or in your everyday life (lifting furniture, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@conor78 The newsletter I got today mentions to check out the BOOKS and that new ones are coming soon?

Is it a new PAVEL book? I am not sure but at least it is something new!

It's been well over a year since I have seen anything from Pavel on this forum. I feel like I am in a Pavel drought. The man is a brand unto himself. I can't wait for the book

Podcast with marty gallagher mentioned collaborative book entitled Beyond kettlebells with pavel, seemed like a barbell + kettlebell kind of program

All of this sounds good. Yes it has been a long time since Pavel released a book and even a long time since he logged on here.

Pavel logs on regularly, he's just got a different last name. As far as I'm concerned his advice is just as wise & worthy enough for me. Same goes for Steve freides, Al campia & many others that are well worth mentioning. Even though I know they would be far to humble to agree.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom