all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel's Workout Of the Decade (WOD) move pairings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For me it's the snatch, 1 handed swing and the military press. I'm using the military press 50 reps and the 1 hand swing 100 reps a day to build up my body for the snatch test. The TGU was clearly not similar enough to the snatch to be a proper preparation for it.
I would think the get up is a better assistance exercise to the snatch than the press. The get up, like the snatch, is a straight arm hold that emphasises the upper back. I’d say that it would be a better move to strengthen the overhead portion of the snatch.

I would think the get up is a better assistance exercise to the snatch than the press. The get up, like the snatch, is a straight arm hold that emphasises the upper back. I’d say that it would be a better move to strengthen the overhead portion of the snatch.
This would make sense since I jumped into the snatch from only swings and TGUs and was able to do 100 snatches right away in under 15 minutes.

I was having a think about this; would it not be sufficient for most people to stick to a particular piece of equipment rather than committing to particular lifts?

After all I’m pretty sure 90% of all barbell lifts fall into the categories of SQ, BP, DL, OHP, Row, Snatch, C&J. Same with kettlebell variations of the press, get up, squat and swing. Even if you wonder around with variations you can’t steer too far if you commit to a training implement, no? Maybe too far if you want to be a world class powerlifter/weightlifter, but for most is it not probably fine to stick to a particular equipment type?

I was having a think about this; would it not be sufficient for most people to stick to a particular piece of equipment rather than committing to particular lifts?

After all I’m pretty sure 90% of all barbell lifts fall into the categories of SQ, BP, DL, OHP, Row, Snatch, C&J. Same with kettlebell variations of the press, get up, squat and swing. Even if you wonder around with variations you can’t steer too far if you commit to a training implement, no? Maybe too far if you want to be a world class powerlifter/weightlifter, but for most is it not probably fine to stick to a particular equipment type?
That's what I have been doing since July. Just kettlebells. It is working out for me very well.

I think the "thing" with focussing on particular lifts is simple fatigue. I'm quite "done" after 100 swings followed by 50 presses all with the 28kg bell. The Strong First philosophy as I understand it is to focus on very few moves but to get very strong at them. The choice of moves is the key. They have to have a big pull as the centrepiece and an important pushing move as the supporting move. This also applies to the barbell where the big pull for many people is going to be the deadlift, and the supporting push some kind of press.

Pavel's article was perplexing to me. I interpret it as arguing that best is to have only a small number (2-4 I think) of the same movements should be the core of your strength training "for ever", with small variations, and other exercises perhaps done only light as compliments?

Pavel's article was perplexing to me. I interpret it as arguing that best is to have only a small number (2-4 I think) of the same movements should be the core of your strength training "for ever", with small variations, and other exercises perhaps done only light as compliments?
Perhaps not forever, but for long enough to make a deep dive into them. For me these cycles are anywhere from a few months to a few years long, and some lifts have been in my program since I started lifting almost 20 years ago.

-S-

Well, basically a hinge (big pull) and some kind of press. S&S, Q&D, RoP, PTTP, the new BJJ program all follow this basic concept.

Sometimes Pavel includes squats and pullups.

So there is some leeway within the concept. Same but different :)

Thank you all. It was a strange question, I am new to this.
It is perhaps that I have thought that the "ideal" is to follow a challenge like RoP, then probably go lighter for a while, then take on something like PTTP, and so on.

Thank you all. It was a strange question, I am new to this.
It is perhaps that I have thought that the "ideal" is to follow a challenge like RoP, then probably go lighter for a while, then take on something like PTTP, and so on.
What you've said is also OK. I would say that changing a program every 3 months is probably OK, so long as you're not working on sprint cycling for 3 months and then Olympic lifting for the next 3 months and then strongman for the next 3 months - keep some continuity.

There are also levels of all this, e.g., I cycle between competition powerlifts and not for a few years, then might switch to all-around lifting for a few years, and try to hit both in every 5 year age group I'm in.

-S-

I am switching S&S this week for some time. I am going to only work towards timed simple until i achieve it.
How do these look for variations?:

timeless 24kg
Timeless two hand 24 kg
Timed two hand 24 kg
Timed 24 kg
Simply sinister 24kg
Timeless two hand 32 kg
Timeless 32kg
Timed two hand 32 kg

Sure, but it will be a while I'm starting physical therapy on Monday but I'll be starting with PTTP once I'm ready.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom