all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pavel's Workout Of the Decade (WOD) move pairings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
Before the article gets deleted from the site in a few weeks, I figured it would be nice to record the key teaching right here, and to chat about it if we want:

Choose two to three lifts or exercises that you desire to excel at. For instance:

• Kettlebell swing + kettlebell get-up (e.g., the Sinister Challenge)
  • Deadlift + barbell military press
  • Weighted pullup (eventually one-arm pullup) + handstand pushup (progressively more difficult variations)
  • Weighted tactical pullup + kettlebell military press + weighted pistol (the Iron Maiden/Beast Tamer Challenge)
  • The three powerlifts
  • The “push-pull” (deadlift + bench press)
  • The barbell Olympic lifts
  • Kettlebell snatch + kettlebell military press
  • Tactical Strength Challenge: deadlift + tactical pullup + kettlebell snatch

The SF bodyweight curriculum probably fits the bill as well:
  • The Push: One-Arm/One-Leg Pushup, Wall-Supported Handstand Pushup
  • The Pull: Tactical Pullup, Hanging Leg Raise, Front Lever
  • The Squat: Pistol
PS: Why is the article being deleted in a few weeks?

The SF bodyweight curriculum probably fits the bill as well:
  • The Push: One-Arm/One-Leg Pushup, Wall-Supported Handstand Pushup
  • The Pull: Tactical Pullup, Hanging Leg Raise, Front Lever
  • The Squat: Pistol
PS: Why is the article being deleted in a few weeks?
Or it's harder to find after it cycles off the bottom of the list that we can all see at the bottom of the page.

I'm currently doing OAPU progressions and SLDL with a light weight as I'm in rehab mode for my back (doing the McGill big three). I may start increasing the weight for the SLDL until getting to 32kg before deciding what to do next (substitute with deadlifts or swings, or do something else like S&S, PTTP, or one of the programs by Geoff Neupert)

Barbell deadlift, kettlebell press and snatch is a combo I’ve wanted to commit too for a while. Sadly I have a puppy brain and usually get distracted by other things pretty quickly.
I have found the barbell deadlift and the kettlebell snatch to be too much load on the lower back for me. Press + DL is good, somehow swing + DL is also good.

-S-

I am seriously considering a Pull + Crawling for some cycles or as block training (alternating with S&S).

For example,
Pullups + Crawling,
Carries + Crawling, or
Deadlifts + Crawling (you know, a slow grind + a full body "press" -- limit strength, stability, and endurance, kind of like S&S)

I'm always as big a proponent of the powerlifts as anyone else, but I often find that a program with equal amounts of the three has far too little pressing in it. Having just the deadlfit and bench press like in Pavel's push-pull pair is easier to balance, though I'm not certain if I would pick the squat or the deadlift for the program.

KB Double Clean and Press + BB Overhead Squat

sprinkle in some loaded carries / rucking, crawling, walking, trail running and rowing; ride a bike to help get my son away from his video games....

At this moment it’s the kettlebell clean, the push press and the pendulum swing that I desire to excel.

For me it's the snatch, 1 handed swing and the military press. I'm using the military press 50 reps and the 1 hand swing 100 reps a day to build up my body for the snatch test. The TGU was clearly not similar enough to the snatch to be a proper preparation for it.

My mate and I are both on S&S, and we joke about who can stick with it the longest. I have a feeling it might evolve beyond a joke. I’ll check back in 2030, I started it full time on Jan 1 2020 so this might be cool...

I think he will win though, he’s an ‘over-committer’ if anything. He’ll have John ‘Sinister’ Doe on his headstone at this rate.

I'm using the military press 50 reps and the 1 hand swing 100 reps a day
That's a lot of presses daily - respect !
For my part I have trained almost exclusively on swings and press ups for just over a year now. Feel good on it at almost 61 years of age.
As long as I vary how I put it together my interest stays high. Also the look of surprise when people I work with when they ask what training I do as my arms and shoulders look very "full" and I tell them only two exercises for about 15 - 20 minutes most days.

That's a lot of presses daily - respect !
For my part I have trained almost exclusively on swings and press ups for just over a year now. Feel good on it at almost 61 years of age.
As long as I vary how I put it together my interest stays high. Also the look of surprise when people I work with when they ask what training I do as my arms and shoulders look very "full" and I tell them only two exercises for about 15 - 20 minutes most days.
The presses are creating a much leaner upper body than with the TGU.
It isn't 50 presses per arm I'm doing. I'm doing 25 per arm making it to 50 total, mostly in sets of 3. (First set is 4 each, then sets of 3 until 50.)
The freaky thing is that if I do this for a while with the 28, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to progress to 32kg. If I can do 50 presses with the 32kg daily, that's pretty good!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom