all posts post new thread

Nutrition PB and J sandwich

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
I recall reading from Mass Made Simple about Dan recommending it to those looking to gain muscle. It's tasty, fast, easy, and you won't get tired.

I noticed I had some serious issues meeting my carb goals for the day. Protein is no problem (chicken, meat and whey are already jam packed and dense), Fats are easy (again, nuts are very high in fats for such small size). But carbs, as long as you aren't cramming tons of sugar, can be tough to meet. Unless you're willing to devour pounds of rice, bread and fruits, I always had trouble in that department.

The PB and J, however, seems to meet these goals really well. It's delicious and totally lopsided towards the carbs (but not without some justice to protein). So it can help offset the above issue for those like myself having a hard time meeting 1500+ calories of carbs a day.

Anyways, just a shout-out to what is a good tool for those looking to lean bulk.

Been eating PB&J most days for many, many years. Has serrved me well when running a lot, or lifting a lot, or doing S&S (way longer than @305pelusa 's been alive haha). It's nice to have a basic lunch and not have to think about food during the day- I have a plain yoghurt, piece of fruit, and some mixed nuts with it. Very satisfying after working out, and I don't eat again for 8 hours with no hunger. I usually eat a more protein-centric dinner, meat and non-starchy vegs. Big glass of whole milk if I'm out of yoghurt...too bad I just ate dinner, or I'd have one now.

My go-to for awhile has been 365 PB from Whole Foods, the cheaper non-organic one; tastes fabulous, very nutty. Has to stirred up and refrigerated, but worth the hassle, and has no ingredients but peanuts and tiny bit of salt. Jelly I make myself, using Christine Ferber methods, or buy Les Comtes de Provence at Marshalls or Home Goods and Rudi's 100% Whole Wheat Bread. At home, I sometimes grill them- same way as grilled cheese, butter outside after making and grill few mins on each side. That's a treat! Even if you get the best ingredients, it's still an inexpensive meal.

PB&J really isn't a culinary staple around here. Reading the various forums I learned of peanut butter and its mystical properties and I've eaten it since in varying amounts. But I still haven't ever had one with bread and jam. But I decided to try it out some days ago. Maybe I finally will today.

When it comes to easy and clean carbs, I really like finely grounded oats. It's really easy to put 100 grams into half a litre of water and drink it down all at once. If I ate it as porridge, it would take ages, and I don't really like porridge. It's also easily combined with whey protein. With the whey it's a real meal supplement that is really healthy, really easy to take with you, really filling and really fast to eat.

@Antti, finely ground oats are sold in the pharmacy here for the treatment of skin problems.

-S-

When Dan John speaks, I listen.

Clarence Bass would also approve and is famous for maintaining single digit bodyfat for decades on nut butter sandwiches.

Almond butter and banana on thick slice wholewheat gets my thumbs up!

I recall reading from Mass Made Simple about Dan recommending it to those looking to gain muscle. It's tasty, fast, easy, and you won't get tired.

I noticed I had some serious issues meeting my carb goals for the day. Protein is no problem (chicken, meat and whey are already jam packed and dense), Fats are easy (again, nuts are very high in fats for such small size). But carbs, as long as you aren't cramming tons of sugar, can be tough to meet. Unless you're willing to devour pounds of rice, bread and fruits, I always had trouble in that department.

The PB and J, however, seems to meet these goals really well. It's delicious and totally lopsided towards the carbs (but not without some justice to protein). So it can help offset the above issue for those like myself having a hard time meeting 1500+ calories of carbs a day.

Anyways, just a shout-out to what is a good tool for those looking to lean bulk.

I have a take on the PB & J you might enjoy.
  • Two slices brioche bread (it's fortified with eggs and butter, yummy yummy in my tummy)
  • Crunchy peanut butter
  • Spiced apple butter (the real stuff, only apples and spices)
  • Big dollup of grass fed butter
About 550 cals
carb/fat/protein: 46g/38g/9g or 33%/61%/6%

I have trouble getting in enough calories...this helps a lot. Also, the apple butter sates my sweet tooth.

When it comes to easy and clean carbs, I really like finely grounded oats. It's really easy to put 100 grams into half a litre of water and drink it down all at once. If I ate it as porridge, it would take ages, and I don't really like porridge. It's also easily combined with whey protein. With the whey it's a real meal supplement that is really healthy, really easy to take with you, really filling and really fast to eat.
Whoah that's a great idea. If you're serious about meeting your carb macros (about 50% of your calories from carbs let's say) and you're bulking too (consuming more calories), it becomes necessary to do tricks like this to boost it.

Thanks for the advice. Will try out and report back.

+1 for oats and whey, I use my NutriBullet to make a smoothie consisting of:

- 100g oats
- banana
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 scoops of whey protein
- Tbsp peanut butter
- frozen blueberries

I've also got used to eating 100g oats in a porridge (with 400ml milk and 200ml water) but takes a little longer to consume - add 2 tbsp of peanut butter, banana and raisins - yummy.

I'm loving this thread so far: I'm eating peanut butter on toast with banana as I write this. If my body could survive on just this, I would eat nothing else.

When it comes to smoothies, I'd recommend you give this a go:
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 whole banana (the riper the better)
  • 1 scoop of your protein of choice
  • 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • a handful of dates (medjool or deglet nour works best)
  • Put in the blender with enough of your milk of choice (cow, goat, soya, almond, whatever) to bring the liquid level to the 1 pint mark - I never actually measured out the liquid on its own so I never know much it is exactly
  • Blend it until smooth, adding ice if your blender tends to heat up your smoothies
If done correctly, it should taste like a Snickers bar.

Here's a tip: Use a powerful blender and make your own oatmeal powder from oats. Seriously, a bulk can from the store yields a lot of oatmeal powder on the cheap.

I personally use a Blentec and it really does a number on rolled whole oats. Takes less than 30 seconds and find that it mixes easily in a shaker bottle. Depending on my training schedule, I mix up oatmeal powder and water if I need some carbs.

Oh, just in case, you blend DRY UNCOOKED oatmeal to make oatmeal powder.

I have a take on the PB & J you might enjoy.
  • Two slices brioche bread (it's fortified with eggs and butter, yummy yummy in my tummy)
  • Crunchy peanut butter
  • Spiced apple butter (the real stuff, only apples and spices)
  • Big dollup of grass fed butter
About 550 cals
carb/fat/protein: 46g/38g/9g or 33%/61%/6%
How does it taste without the butter? 38 g of fat is like 40% of my fat intake, all from just one sandwich so not super sure I'm about that. Using Jelly is especially good because it also packs a carb punch (albeit it's all sugar, which is an absolute shame).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom