all posts post new thread

Nutrition PB and J sandwich

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Seems hard to believe but Saxon reportedly drank upwards of 50 bottles of beer a day. I wouldn't advise it though :)

According to his brother Kurt the following was a typical days worth of calories. Also hard to believe considering he had a body weight of 200lbs.
Breakfast
3lbs smoked bacon
Porridge with honey and cream
24 eggs
Tea (with lots of sugar)

Lunch
10lbs meat
Fruit and vegetables
Cakes and Puddings
Tea
cocoa with whipped cream

Dinner
Cold meat
Fish
Cheese and butter
Beer

This amount was for the whole trio, not only for Arthur.

@305pelusa , I see your point, but there are several differences butween refined sugars and fruits (and even more with this kind of smoothie):

- 500 calories of coca cola are about 1,25 litres. you can drink it bottoms up in 10 seconds. A 500 calorie smoothie with spinach is so big and has so much fiber that can can take up to half a hour to drink, even more if you want to pace it. This aspect by itself reduces the insulin response.

- Coca cola is just simple sugar in water, so it goes directly into the bloodstream. The smoothie has a lot of fiber, which reduces the speed at which the carbs are digested and absorved. This is where the spinach comes to play. Calculating the glycemic index of mixed meals is not straight forward, but you get the idea.

In any case, even if the glycemic index is higher than you prefer, you can always drink it after training, in which case a high glycemic index is actually beneficial. Or you can divide it into several takes, making it to be below 200 calories, therefore having a reduced glycemic load impact. There are a few ways to work around it.

@Oscar : I hear you I hear you. I've kept all my fruits to after training for the same reasons and it's been good thus far.

To be honest, I do not know too much on the subject. I didn't know that if you had fiber with your simple carbs, it would slow down the digestion and lead to smaller insulin spikes. For now, all I knew is that I should avoid sugar as much as possible unless after training.

But the idea of pairing it with fiber to make decrease its overall glycemic index was unheard of for me I admit. I'll look into this then. Thanks!

Ok I'm just gonna clarify real quick.

No, Insulin doesn't make you "fat". Insulin is an anabolic hormone that can shuttle nutrients into muscle and/or fat. Insulin gets used as an injectable substance by many BBers that, while not as amazing and effective as Tren, Clen, D-bol, Test E, etc, still leads to results. So let it be very clear that I'm not shying away of sugars because of shying away from insulin. Insulin is good.

In fact, there's been a massive shift in diets to go for lower carb intakes, with the Keto and Paleo crazes, and even here on SF where people continue to suggest fats over carbs more and more to avoid sluggishness (insulin consequence):
3 Simple Nutrition Principles to Power Up Your Simple & Sinister Training

I don't abide by any of those ideas. My carb intake is well past 50% of my calories because I understand how good insulin is.

But just how little insulin isn't great, an absolute insane amount of it all at once isn't good either. A balance no? Complex carbs release similar levels of insulin, but do so much more slower and for longer periods of time. If your body is generally insulin sensitive (and if you train damn hard, it will be) this means some awesome muscle gains.
Unfortunately, if that means cutting the sodas, the juices made up of 10+ pieces of fruits, cakes, etc until maybe only after training, I think I will do that.

I really, really want to believe all calories are made the same and that if you just take all your carbs as sugar and fructose, results will be the same. But mostly from reading what people in much better shape and much more muscle than myself are recommending, I think I want to stick to the more tried-and-true method of avoiding the sugars and reaching for that rice.

As for the podcast, I will read it after training! Just heard a short part and want to be sure I'm clear about the intentions of the miraculous PB&J.

Yes, balance and what works for you. If peanut butter and jam assist in your goals then gobble up. And it is absolutely delicious too, win-win.
Carb, fat and protein in a one hit wonder. I do indulge but from an enjoyment perspective rather than a muscle growth hit. Personally I favour bananas, strawberries and double cream with some nuts, then some peanut butter and jam later but hey-ho, the other way round is fine too!
Interesting though that peanut butter and jam is used for muscle gain and it works.....given that it is a sugar and fat bolus, which contradicts the never eat fat and sugar together idea. The caveat here is leanness. Someone seeking fat loss and excessively overweight with malfunctioning metabolism is different from a lean, strong and healthy athlete training a lot. That distinction is lost often when discussing diet and the fat/carb thing and then becomes more polarised with health v performance. Peanut butter and jam in the red corner, coffee and coconut oil in the blue. Ding, ding, round 1.

Yes as I mentioned on my very first post. A good weapon for those looking to lean bulk that have trouble eating enough to meet carb goals. Good because it's yummy, transportable, easy to make, and you can always just eat one more.

But mostly from reading what people in much better shape and much more muscle than myself are recommending, I think I want to stick to the more tried-and-true method of avoiding the sugars and reaching for that rice.

This makes a lot of sense. By the time you have mastered those diets and achieved the freestanding one arm handstand push up, you can come back and try out-of-the-box diets

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom