all posts post new thread

Off-Topic PB: Weighted Blankets are Therapeutic?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I've decided to start a new convention - threads that seem likely to open the proverbial Pandora's Box could be started with "PB:" :)

What the Research Says: Do Weighted Blankets Work?

It makes comparisons to something called deep pressure stimulation, which I've never heard of - like a deep massage, I think.

I ask for purely selfish reasons. I have always preferred to have a pile of blankets and since my wife is generally nice to me (Pavel's theory is that I owe my relatively young appearance to her and not to anything I might have done), that's what we have: a top sheet, a regular blanket on top of that, a heavy wool blanket on top of that and yet another blanket on top of that. She, OTOH, tells me she prefers a single, lightweight quilt.

We all know I'm crazy, but am I crazy about this? I really do prefer heavy blankets.

-S-

Last edited:
I have one, and I love it. It's a 20 lb one I got from Amazon (link). I don't want it every night, but when I do it's very soothing and I sleep well.

My oldest son is autistic, and he loves "being heavy", in his words. I will often let him wear a weighted vest or plate carrier. It definitely seems to help him relax and not feel so restless. When he is unfettered, he is almost constantly walking around the house or shifting around while sitting on the couch.

This is only a sample size of one, but when I can see very obvious effects, I don't bother looking into too many studies.

I saw a documentary once about a woman with severe anxiety who liked to use a cattle press on herself. The theory is that compression, especially over the abdomen has a relaxing effect. I believe this is why stomach sleeping is such a hard habit to kick, even when it exacerbates back and neck pain.

My oldest son is autistic, and he loves "being heavy", in his words. I will often let him wear a weighted vest or plate carrier. It definitely seems to help him relax and not feel so restless.

Interesting. I always like the walk home from the grocery store, with weight in my pack, better than I like unweighted walking.

-S-

There are so called Thunder Coats that are available for dogs, to help with anxiety during thunderstorms (and fireworks). I believe the principle is the same.

... I believe this is why stomach sleeping is such a hard habit to kick, even when it exacerbates back and neck pain.

You may find this article interesting.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

It has done wonders for my sleeping habits. There are recommendations for a variety of positions, including stomach sleeping. I haven't ditched my bed, but I have certainly stopped using pillows.

You may find this article interesting.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

It has done wonders for my sleeping habits. There are recommendations for a variety of positions, including stomach sleeping. I haven't ditched my bed, but I have certainly stopped using pillows.
Thanks, an interesting perspective. I have spent 6 weeks sleeping on the floor, with pillows to great effect. I buy into the automatic manipulator and the restorative effect of sleeping on hard surfaces.

My oldest son is autistic, and he loves "being heavy", in his words. I will often let him wear a weighted vest or plate carrier. It definitely seems to help him relax and not feel so restless. When he is unfettered, he is almost constantly walking around the house or shifting around while sitting on the couch.

This is only a sample size of one, but when I can see very obvious effects, I don't bother looking into too many studies.

Dr. Temple Grandin talks about this in her books about autism and related subjects. Highly recommended if you haven't read them already! I think that might be who @fractal is talking about with the cattle press. She called it a squeeze machine. Turns out there are a bunch of models of those available if you Google it.

I haven't read any research whatsoever on this, but to me the heavy blanket has enough anecdotal evidence that I'm willing to believe in it. I don't sleep with anything heavy, just blanket and comforter but let me tell you - if there is anything on earth better than a morning coffee, a book and a heavy blanket on the couch (and my dog!!), I won't need much selling.

I just picked up the Tranquility weighted blanket from Walmart. It's only a twin size and weighs twenty pounds. I hope this is the cure for my sleep issues. I'll keep you posted

My wife just got a 30 lb one last week. She has been having issues staying asleep all night. So far she loves it. I think the brand was Odyssey.

I was wrong, the blanket weighs 15 lb, not 30 lb. After a full week of using it, she has been sleeping better than ever. It has been a while since she has been able to sleep 8 hr per night. I am very happy for her.

Worked like a charm for a quick nap on the couch. I didn't notice any difference in bed though.

So far I like mine. I find I don't heat up at night like I usually did. I stay a nice comfortable temperature.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom