all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Peaking in S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cochran

Level 2 Valued Member
In the book, Pavel wrote “Once you own Simple, it will be easy to maintain what you have worked hard and long to reach with two talk-test regulated S&S sessions a week, plus an occasional three-week peak.”

I’m not sure I understand what this means - has anyone ran a 3-week peak and how was it structured?

In the book, Pavel wrote “Once you own Simple, it will be easy to maintain what you have worked hard and long to reach with two talk-test regulated S&S sessions a week, plus an occasional three-week peak.”

I’m not sure I understand what this means - has anyone ran a 3-week peak and how was it structured?

It would still be S&S, you would just approach the session a little differently. Basically it's a few more glycolytic sessions than you would normally do. You would set aside the talk test and push the pace, at least 2x in a week but maybe as much as 4, depending on how much you were pushing it and how well you are recovering. A few examples of a few different ways you might do this:
  • If your swings usually take 10-15 minutes for your 10 sets, push your pace and do the 10x10 swings in 9 minutes, then 8, then 7, then 6, then 5 over a period of couple of 2-3 weeks.
  • Do some of your sets at your regular "talk test" pace, then do the last few sets with less rest. Work towards doing all of them at that pace over a few weeks.
  • Go directly to 10x10 in 5 minutes for 2-4 sessions/week during the 3 week period, but do it at first with a lighter kettlebell, then increase the weight back to your regular weight (or mix though the session, such as, alternate 2 sets w/ 20 kg and 2 sets w/ 24 kg, or for men, 2 sets w/ 24 or 28 and 2 sets with 32) while staying with 5 minutes, over the course of several weeks.
As far as get-ups, if you do them once a week or so they can be maintained, as long as you are doing other training. For this peaking phase you might go back to a full 5 per side per session as with regular S&S.

Last edited:
Back when S&S first came out, I was trying to get timed with the 24kg bell.
By lowering the time as described above. Just couldn't get it.
So I started working in the 32kg, till I got timeless simple.
Went back and tried timed 24kg and did it easily.
last year I experienced the same with swinging the 36kg.
I tested the 32kg and again got it in 5 minutes.
I also see recently that Pavel Maceck got sinister and he was using a 56kg for swings.

Al

Hi, I have checked Pavel Maceck training log, I think with TGU’s he did not practice w more than 48 kg but with swings he shoot for 56 kg to hit time limit w 48 kg.

His training log scares me more than inspiring me :). I have started my journey for Sinister. Can I really be as strong and as cardiovascularly fit as Pavel Maceck for S&S practice?

Ps: I can’t TGU naked properly due to mobility issues and my Swing form is bad, so I learn everything from scratch. We will see… we will see.

@Anna C I just reread your guidelines and am wondering is peaking only intended for the swing portion of S&S?
I would think it's mostly pertaining to swings, yes. But I did address get-ups in the post above, too, at the bottom.

I would think it's mostly pertaining to swings, yes. But I did address get-ups in the post above, too, at the bottom.
Ah, OK, I see where you differentiated between “maintaining” the TGU and then peaking. I guess I was wondering if they should remain at “talk test” pace or condensed rest periods as with the swings.

Ah, OK, I see where you differentiated between “maintaining” the TGU and then peaking. I guess I was wondering if they should remain at “talk test” pace or condensed rest periods as with the swings.
Depends on the individual. Perhaps more condensed, if you are one who tends to take a lot of rest between get-ups... But I think most people tend to do them at a fairly regular pace, 30 sec per get-up and 30 sec rest between each, for a total of 10 minutes, even in a daily practice.

The S&S timed standards purposely don't rush the get-ups, for safety reasons. Our world record holder Jackie is the only one allowed to do that. ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom