all posts post new thread

Off-Topic People in the fitness world that have been an inspiration to you?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've progressed significantly more since moving away from Stuart McRoberts philosophy. Though I caveat this with me also having moved away from a bodybuilding style of training to strength focused. And, to be fair, this distinction alone may be the origin of this progress.
He's written a lot - what more specifically was he advocating that you think was inhibiting your progress? To be honest, I think I meant to write John McCallum, not Stuart McRoberts, but Stuart McRoberts wrote some great stuff (not all of it of course but some of it) back in the day imho.

Jim Wendler
Dan John
Geoff Neupert

Think I’ve listened to every interview and read just about everything these 3 have put out.

He's written a lot - what more specifically was he advocating that you think was inhibiting your progress? To be honest, I think I meant to write John McCallum, not Stuart McRoberts, but Stuart McRoberts wrote some great stuff (not all of it of course but some of it) back in the day imho.
@Boris Bachmann , this isn't a thread where one should be disagreeing with what someone else has written has inspired them. So I am sorry for that.

I was certainly inspired by his writings.
In fact, I reread Brawn only a couple of years ago having stumbled across it in my loft.

The lack of progress I made during that period was wholly down to my lack of commitment and consistency.

My interpretation was that every workout had to be do or die and the progress came from the very small incremental load increases.

I also lived in Birmingham at the time where Dorian Yates hailed from.

That's interesting because someone can be a significant voice for their time even though they don't get everything right.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Stuart McRoberts definitely inspired me. If nothing else he taught me to challenge what the mainstream are advocating.

I must say that every one of our Master Instructors is a person I admire. They are all unique but all put their wide range of experience to very good use here.

-S-

That's for sure.

I've only met a handful in the flesh and each one of them were class acts, I aim to take the lessons learned from them and impart it in those I cross paths with

I really like this thread!

I think my earliest fitness inspiration came from Dr. Mark Cheng. Found his stuff because he co-wrote “Defend Takedown Submit” With taejoon lee. Read a bunch of his stuff from black belt magazine and eventually found out about Pavel through that. Then did my first weight lifting program pttp and got hooked.
After that I learned about Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Glen Pendlay, K. Black, and Marty Gallagher.

lots of great info from all of them. Although K. Black is a favorite because he dropped one of the best strength and conditioning book series of the past decade and nobody knows who he actually is. Not even his business partners.

I know it sounds cliché, but public figures like Joe Rogan, Cam Hanes, Jocko Willink, Tim Kennedy and guys like that are great for popularizing fitness as a long term lifestyle for me. It’s inspiring to see guys in their 50s who would 100% beat my butt in every physical contest of skill, strength, or endurance.

As to my personal “why” teachers, instructors and coaches like Craig Douglas and the late William Aprill have driven home the need to be a strong and capable human to be able to deal with real and present evils of the world.

And on a personal level, my friends and coaches (Ryan, Brad, Kevin, Lee, Anders, and Nate- because I want to say their names) have all pushed me to become stronger and a better martial artist. None of them are famous, but they’ve had the biggest influence on my progress thus far.

Late to this but I'll throw mine in, but it all depends on what time in my life I was in.

As a bodybuilder in the a Navy it was Jack LaLanne and Arnold. As a powerlifter I looked up to guys like Brandon Lilly and Chad Wesley Smith. Vytautus Lalas inspired me to get into strongman because we're the same height and I thought no one under 6' could do well before I saw him compete. Now I throw in the Highland Games and guys like Matt Vincent and some local guys are great motivators to me.

ALL THAT BEING SAID throughout all of these sports I've tried I have always been inspired by Old Time Strongmen. Saxon and Apollon and Cyr. Not to mention "King of the Kettlebell" Pytor Kryloff. And if I may fanboy a little Pavel Macek is a huge inspiration on this new path I'm on through SF.

Well... I gotta credit the Hulk himself, Lou Ferrigno, for fueling the desire of a fat kid (aka me) to become massively strong in his formative years.

My biggest influences have always been coaches, in particular my high school throwing coach. Really knowledgeable guy and a good coach, I didn't really appreciate that fact until later in life when I came across some less-capable coaches. Aside from the impact on my physical aspirations, those are the guys that inspired me to coach sports for my own kids.

Jim Wendler - 531 is what started my love of fitness and S&C

Brian Alsruhe - hands down best work ethic around and guy is in phenomenal shape despite severe illness

Dan John - can always count on solid advice without any flash or clickbait. The man knows his stuff and doesn't fluff any of it.

I would have to say
My father for introducing me to lifting early and for being a great athlete himself.
Gary/Arthur Deal for introducing me to Olympic weightlifting.
Chad Waterbury for introducing me to the science behind it.
Pavel for simplifying all the science.
Dan John for the entertainment and philosophy behind it.
and then just athletes I enjoy watching
And have inspired me Dmitry Klokov and Oleksiy TOROKHTIY.
there are probably plenty more but that’s all I can think of at the moment.
oh yeah almost forgot Craig Marker and Mike Israetel.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom