all posts post new thread

Nutrition Peptides

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Yes, I am curious as well. I hear a lot about them but dont know much. Are they closer to the equivalent of taking supplements and protein OR closer to the equivalent of steroids and growth hormones? Are they safe? Are they legal (in the USA)?

Bio hackers stab themselves in the deltoid with self administered peptide injections whilst brewing some mushroom and spirulina tea. Peptides are considered safe but then?? Unless you know what you're doing anatomically and with a nod towards a sterile environment not sure its 'that' safe.
Some are banned. Dunno why or with what criteria.
For healing purposes, certain peptide chains can trigger hgh response to encourage repair and healing. So presumably stabbing yourself with hgh would do the same thing?
And that's banned. So, offered more questions than answers, no idea, haha.

BPC 157 worked for me for some nagging shoulder tendonitis. Worked quick too. about 2 weeks. I can finally sleep with my arm in any position.

My doctor prescribed it and is a big proponent. FWIW.

Its a large field but there is some exciting research for some of these peptides and performance, health and disease.

BPC 157 worked for me for some nagging shoulder tendonitis. Worked quick too. about 2 weeks. I can finally sleep with my arm in any position.

Its a large field but there is some exciting research for some of these peptides and performance, health and disease.

Could you please elaborate it? dosage, brand, are those injections?

Peptides are molecules designed to replicate the action of some hormones. Melanotan, for example, is a "suntanning" peptide, imitates the action of melanocitostimulating hormone. It was noted by the users that melanotan sometimes produces solid erections. This led to the development of bremelanotide, which is as far as I remember is a fragment of melanotan. How Brem works is uncertain.

Peptide biochemistry is complicated. In order to replicate the action of GH you have to use the combination of GHRH and GHRP. There are side-effects, and the effects will be apparent only on top of a solid protocol - exercise and diet. And there are also debates in regards to IGF-1 and it's role in cancer growth.

There used to be an incredible website, Datbetrue.co.uk run by a very clued up guy. His literature reviews used to freak me out, they were worthy of being put on PubMed. Few years ago he sent every member the message that he had been diagnosed with terminal illness and was going to close the site. Since then sources of information are scarce.

So, like with any drugs, including steroids, you have to know what you are doing. And obviously why.

Are peptides drugs or supplements? As someone who takes neither peptides nor protein powder, I would ask if peptides banned substances in some sports, and/or are they illegal?

NB: My preferred form of protein supplement is slow-cooked beef short ribs, with filet mignon coming in a close second. :)

-S-

I believe peptides are considered drugs. There are many different types with many different effects. BPC 157 is a naturally produced gastric juice that has multiple healing properties created by using amino acids.

Im no expert and only follow my doctors advice when it comes to this. Although I did plenty of research to make sure the side effects would be nothing to worry about. For this particular peptide there are few sides and zero known major side effects.

I asked my DO about supplementing with this. She said she prescribes peptides but did not know much about it and had never prescribed this. When her office called me back (weeks later) they asked for $400 for one treatment course. That seems ridiculous. Can you give me an idea of the cost from your docs? Thank you.

I'm old enough to remember when ginseng and BCAAs were considered "drugs" and one step on the road to junkiedom. Of course this was a generation after cannabis was alleged to give you superhuman strength - says no pothead ever! And we conveniently ignore that first generation of anabolic steroid users who are now in their 80s and going strong. Now it seems the hysteria is attached to peptides and SARMs. I think the lesson is everything in its place and in moderation

I asked my DO about supplementing with this. She said she prescribes peptides but did not know much about it and had never prescribed this. When her office called me back (weeks later) they asked for $400 for one treatment course. That seems ridiculous. Can you give me an idea of the cost from your docs? Thank you.
I think mine was closer to 200 for a course.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom