all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Perfect Push Up & Scapular Protraction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Now that I see Pavel protracting at the top ....the hardstyle / Strongfirst push up just seems like a proper standard push up, done with good form?

The cues seem the same as most of what any reputable bodyweight routine would suggest for a high quality push up (tight core, squeeze glutes, modest PPT to neutral pelvis, squeeze the armpits to engage the lats, etc), including the breathing.

I must not be getting something....

Yes, sounds right! Not complicated, just good quality push-up. Tension is the main thing that's really emphasized, and 95% of people doing pushups don't have.

Now that I see Pavel protracting at the top ....the hardstyle / Strongfirst push up just seems like a proper standard push up, done with good form?

The cues seem the same as most of what any reputable bodyweight routine would suggest for a high quality push up (tight core, squeeze glutes, modest PPT to neutral pelvis, squeeze the armpits to engage the lats, etc), including the breathing.

I must not be getting something....

Like I said earlier, in my experience teaching gymnastics/calisthenics skills, most people mistake spinal flexion for "full protraction." Maybe that's possibly what you're perceiving?

IMO the spine should stay neutral, so as not to encourage kyphotic posture. I think it's possible to increase protraction with a neutral spine by using certain drills. I have also seen plenty of students who start with very limited scapular ROM. They tend to be the ones who excessively round their spine to compensate for lack of protraction or jut their chin forward to compensate for retraction.

Like I said earlier, in my experience teaching gymnastics/calisthenics skills, most people mistake spinal flexion for "full protraction." Maybe that's possibly what you're perceiving?

Nope, that's not what I'm perceiving. I definitely know the difference.

It was the written instructions to make an X on your back in the top position that started this question:

""7. Corkscrew your shoulders into their sockets and visualize making an “X” on your back"

That's not a cue that says protraction, to me.

But maybe that's just a different way to say "squish your armpits".

Last edited:
Yeah I thought that was a sort of ambiguous cue as well. Although "squish your armpits" has a nice ring to it ;) I like "pull your sternum upwards and your shoulders down away from your ears."

In my time with StrongFirst, we haven’t talked about this issue, and over the years, I’ve come to realize that if we don’t specify something in our instructions or standards, it’s with good reason.
We choose to focus on a few, important elements of each of the movements we teach, and some things are Intentionally left up to the individual. Another example of this, at least in my experience, is whether the kettlebell military press should be straight up or go out to the side somewhat. Both are acceptable.

-S-

I'm a little puzzled by part of the instructions for the top position of a perfect push up with regard to the scapula.

In this article (by @Karen Smith ) it says:

"7. Corkscrew your shoulders into their sockets and visualize making an “X” on your back"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the cue, but to me the 'make an X' cue sounds like retracting the shoulder blades as if it were a bench press.

But the usual cue amongst the bodyweight crowd is to be fully protracted at the top, including from the start, in order to work the serratus anterior better, which looks like the right hand side of this picture (although this pic is showing a scap push up):

scapula-protraction-x.jpg

Am I misunderstanding the cue?

Or does Strongfirst have a different point of view regarding being in full scapular protraction at the top of a push up?

Hi there!
This is a bit confusing. Protraction is pushing your shoulder blades forward as if to put your arms straight out in front of you and reach as far as possible. The picture on the right that you provided is a great example of protraction. As for as making an "X" on your back, this is what I came up with:
1602630296610.png
If you look at the superior angle of the scapula during protraction, where I drew the red arrow, it moves to an angle that could create an "X" if lines were extended off of it as I drew with the black lines. Then when you look at retraction, the superior angle appears to be more straight up and down. There could be a ton of different opinions on this, but this made sense to me.
I think the main part is that if you want to work all your muscles around your scapula, you must incorporate protraction, retraction, elevation and depression into the exercises. A good example is the seated row. To fully work you scapula stabilizers, you must first retract your scapula and then flex at the elbows and pull the weight in.

Hope this makes sense to you as well!

MWilliams
Advanced Strength and Conditioning Student

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom