all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Perform better kettlebells

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Perry

SFG II, SFB
Certified Instructor
I'm in the market for a new bell and find pretty much everyone is sold out. Perform Better is sold out too, but for when they do start selling again, the seem to be one of the cheapest among reputable brands. Does anyone have direct experience with this bell? Note this is NOT the one I've also seen of theirs with the chromed handle (and don't care much for). Thanks, Michael

@Michael Perry , I've used them some at the SFG certs, although that was before they had them with the big red PB design. The ones I practiced with had Perform Better spelled out in gold, which felt very similar to Rogue powder coat bells, which I like.

I have an older one (I think I bought it in 2015 or 2016) and, while fine, it's not my favorite kettlebell. The handle is a little thicker than my DD kettlebells, the coat is more coarse and more easily tears up my hands, and there was a huge grippy, rubber stand on the bottom that I had to unscrew and remove - leaving a big hole on the bottom.

A gym I trained at had a couple of these new model PB bells and I have to say I disliked them quite a bit. Felt uncomfortable to rack. Handles much thinner and more squared off than most other cast iron bells I've used. A few other members had similar concerns compared to the other bells available there (dragondoor, apollo, previous PB models)

We have PB kettlebells at my station, I use them a couple times a week and I have no issues with them. The finish seems good, Nice grip, pretty durable. General dimensions for me are fine, no problem or discomfort doing any exercises, one or two handed. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to purchase more, overall, they seem like a decent bell.

Thanks for the tips so far. I've liked some PBs and not others. For example...

I liked this style, which I think is the one that @Don Fairbanks and @Mike Torres are probably referring to, although I don't recall a rubber bottom, possibly because someone else had already liberated the bell from it.

1592435022613.png

@Alexander Halford, yep, those that @Dr. Michael Hartle has look like the ones I'm considering. The style that is, not the weight...

@Bunn and @Eric Addis which do you have?

Oddly, I don't see a picture of the chrome handled ones I used once, which is just as well...

@Michael Perry I was curious... and then thought I was losing my mind re: the rubber bottom, so I looked around a bit. The one I was referring to is the one Craig Marker references in this article. I couldn't stand it. Looks like their mold/design has evolved quite a bit since 2014/2015 though.

My first kettlebells (not counting the blue plastic sand-filled 10 lb one I got at a department store) were at 16kg and 24kg I ordered through the StrongFirst site in 2014. They were Perform Better and they had the rubber bottom. They're still good.

Yesterday I received my StrongFirst brand kettlebell... a 10kg. It's the perfect size to pick up and do any move with, anytime. So it will be my "office kettlebell" (which at the moment, is home... as is my gym).

I'm very impressed with the new StrongFirst bell. I can't imagine a higher quality. The handle is perfect, the coating is perfect, the emblem is beautiful.

I suppose this calls for photos...

1592444748204.png 1592444773653.png

@Steve Freides this link is somewhat hard to find on the web site!

@Michael Perry I was curious... and then thought I was losing my mind re: the rubber bottom, so I looked around a bit. The one I was referring to is the one Craig Marker references in this article. I couldn't stand it. Looks like their mold/design has evolved quite a bit since 2014/2015 though.

Thanks Mike, I don't think I've seen another side-by-side bell review by someone who knows them.

My first kettlebells (not counting the blue plastic sand-filled 10 lb one I got at a department store) were at 16kg and 24kg I ordered through the StrongFirst site in 2014. They were Perform Better and they had the rubber bottom. They're still good.

Yesterday I received my StrongFirst brand kettlebell... a 10kg. It's the perfect size to pick up and do any move with, anytime. So it will be my "office kettlebell" (which at the moment, is home... as is my gym).

I'm very impressed with the new StrongFirst bell. I can't imagine a higher quality. The handle is perfect, the coating is perfect, the emblem is beautiful.

Your reaction agrees with mine, @Anna C. I bought a 24 kg, and it just kind of disappears - everything you want, nothing you don't.

I suppose this calls for photos...

View attachment 10675 View attachment 10676

@Steve Freides this link is somewhat hard to find on the web site!

We have never been big on trying to sell ourselves, so this is right in keeping with that. :)

-S-

With the SF bells, is having the writing being proud of the cast an issue for comfort? All KK bells have writing recessed which I can see would make sense.

With the SF bells, is having the writing being proud of the cast an issue for comfort? All KK bells have writing recessed which I can see would make sense.
Didn't seem to be. Mine's lent out at the moment so I can't verify, but it seems smooth and no issues.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom