all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Periodization: max strength vs hypertrophy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ivan

First Post
I have a beginner's periodization question. I know there's many ways to do
and organize training, but I am wondering if there's a consensus on maximum strength
and hypertrophy phases of training.

Can maximum strength (practiced 2 per week with 48-72 hrs rest) be trained
concurrently with hypertrophy?

Or is it better to have a pure hypertrophy period, followed by maximum strength period?

Yup you can concurrently Trian for mass and hypertrophy. Example I went through a snatch protocol that’s primary purpose was to increase max power output and strength but I got bigger (especially around the lats,traps, shoulders, grip)

If you want to get both strength and muscle gain I suggest focusing on presses, cleans, frsq, and pullups as movements.

If your advanced (in kettlebell world pressing 1/2 your body weight is I believe the entry level) then you may need to shift priorities one way or another.

A few popular templates come to mind.
  • West Side Barbell template would perform strength/speed first and get hypertrophy from assistance exercises performed after in the same session.
  • Traditional 5x5 program or 1-5 ladders aims to do both at the same time.
  • Other concurrent periodization program methodologies dedicate an entire session to one or the other and rotate back and forth and may alternate the ratio depending on a focus.

you can just run the ROP then before adding a rung, slowly compress rest periods til you can rest 60-90 seconds between rungs and sets.. once you can no longer shave time off your sessions, add the next rung

Can maximum strength (practiced 2 per week with 48-72 hrs rest) be trained concurrently with hypertrophy?

Conjugate Training

This means training different type of Strength in the same Training Cycle.

Research shows when one type of Strength Training carries of to other types of Strength Training.

Dr Michael Zourdos' Research

Zourdos found that a weekly Training Program that included: Hypertrophy, Power and Limit Strength (1 Repetition Max) increased Limit Strength.

Zourdos' found that setting aside specific days for each type of Strength Training in a certain order produced optimal results. It went as follows...

1) Monday: Hypertropy

2) Wednesday: Power

3) Limit Strength

Westside Powerlifting Method

This method has been around since the 1980's and has proven to be effective. As Bro posted, West Side usually performs Hypertrophy after Strength Training.

Non-Linear Periodization Training

Zourdos and The West Side Powerlifting Method are Conjugate Training, more Non-Linear Periodization Training Protocols.

Or is it better to have a pure hypertrophy period, followed by maximum strength period?

Traditional Periodization Training

Devoting a Training Cycle to specifically one type of Strength Training is Linear Periodization Training.

The Traditional Periodization Training Cycle focus on one type of training at a time...

1) General Physical Preparation (Conditioning)

2) Hypertrophy

3) Power

4) Limit Strength

Non-Linear Vs Traditional Periodization Training

Both method work.

Length of Training Cycle

The length of a Training Cycle is largely dependent on your "Training Age", how long you have been training.

Novice Lifters can make progress on a long Training Cycle (8 - 12 weeks), performing the same routine. That due to the fact that Novice Lifters adapt much more slowly to a program enabling them to make progress for a longer period of time.

Advance Liftersadapt quickly to a Training Cycle (3 - 4 weeks). That means they need to vary their program more often to continue to make progress.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I've seen this concept drawn using a logistic function curve. The idea is to get the gains and then change. Too short, you don't get the gains, too long and you're wasting time.

Nice graph. Where did you find it?

Thanks,

Kenny Croxdale

@Bro Mo Is there any text to go along with that graphic? I can't figure out what it's trying to show.

I made those plots just to post them. I didn't bother with ensuring the time scale on the x-axis or the progress on y-axis was accurate and relative to each level of lifter though, it's just for concept.

The top plot is showing that a novice at 8-12 weeks will be in the same place on a progress curve as an advanced lifter at 3-4 weeks. This doesn't mean that each will add 20# to their squat in those times, just that the progress obtainable with a block of training will be the same.

The second plot shows that if you reverse those time frames for the different levels, a novice at 3-4 weeks will not reach the full benefit of a given block of training. An advanced lifter on a program too long (8-12 weeks) will hit the plateau and stop making progress.

Edit: Here is a more accurate depiction of the two plots.
Logistic_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks for the explanation.... It still doesn't make sense to me, but I suppose I'm just not seeing it. In my mind a novice can make rapid, steady progress for several months. An advanced lifter needs blocks of training to make progress, and progress will take much longer and/or be much slower. As far as "on a program too long (8-12 weeks)"... it all depends on what the program is. Most programs have appropriate progression built in, if they are wisely selected to match the trainee's advancement.

Edit: Yes, your revised graph makes more sense to me and matches what I'm saying, I think.

Absolutely can do strength and hypertrophy. All the templates above are great. I’m a big fan of the conjugate method for strength but not for longer than say 2 months as the risk of injury is high.

Technically you can use the same exercises, say deadlift, on strength and hypertrophy says. Just manipulate the loading, reps, and rest time.

If you think about it, strength is training movement and hypertrophy is training muscle

The y-axis is tough to keep consistent for both lifters when the x-axis is constant. The available plan progress would be different for each lifter. Here are the same logistic curves in different combinations to show different effects though. The first plot would be the ideal periodization for both athletes. The second plot shows "program hopping" for a novice and inadequate periodization for an advanced lifter. When a novice program hops, they start over before really getting any benefit. After 12 weeks, they would have made significantly less progress than if sticking to a single block. The advanced lifter significantly delays their progress.
Logistic_3.png logistic_bad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom