all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Periodizing output scaled by movement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hmm...here's a link to a spreadsheet I made a loooong time ago. I took a bunch of measurements and tried to make an average power calculator. This was in the ancient times when I was part of CrossFit, don't judge me :) There might be something here that you can use to come up with a metric.

It's read-only, so you'll need to make a copy if you want to edit it.

Read Only Share - Crossfit Estimated Power Output

Mike
I don’t judge. I look at CF like I look at seaworld. While it’s got some skeletons, it’s made fitness and some previously obscure modalities (KBs and Oly lifts for instance) more accessible to more people and done a lot more good than harm IMHO.
I actually made a very similar spreadsheet a few years back. It’s a component of what I think I’m looking for, but lacks the qualitative assessment that separates a Snatch test from a heavy squat session. Could be the same total work but a grossly different subjective experience.

Hmm...here's a link to a spreadsheet I made a loooong time ago. I took a bunch of measurements and tried to make an average power calculator. This was in the ancient times when I was part of CrossFit, don't judge me :) There might be something here that you can use to come up with a metric.

It's read-only, so you'll need to make a copy if you want to edit it.

Read Only Share - Crossfit Estimated Power Output

That's really neat! I plugged in a few recent workouts and I think it gives a fair representation. Nice tool, thanks for sharing.

@Anna C, so what if it went like this:
A. Sets x reps (volume)
B. Weight (intensity)
C. Range of motion (displacement estimate)
D. Rest control (density)

- Volume and intensity are fairly obvious.
- Range of motion is the beginning of my “scale.” 1 being full ROM a human body can manage, from floor to overhead. All others are just a fraction of that maximum.
BB snatch = 1
KB Snatch = 0.7
KBS = 0.5​
Rest control depends on rest periods and would be where we could haggle over values.
< 30sec = 1
< 120sec = 1.2
> 120sec = 1.4​
Your load is determined by the equation:
(A x B x C) / D
So your snatch test still comes out to more than an A+A and it’s consolidated your strength vs conditioning effects.

@Anna C, so what if it went like this:
A. Sets x reps (volume)
B. Weight (intensity)
C. Range of motion (displacement estimate)
D. Rest control (density)

Yeah, I think that might capture just about everything. Maybe a TGU would have a displacement estimate of slightly more than 1, because it has to move more than just straight overhead. Or maybe you'd increase the B value to include moving your bodyweight as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom