all posts post new thread

Kettlebell PFT Prep + ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

The_Scribe

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi Everyone,

I just started the Rite of Passage workout again the 20kg bell and I plan to stick with it for a while until I pass. I also started doing the PTTP deadlifts with some ab work on my variety days as per Pavel's recommendations.

I just finished the US Marine Corps PLC program and I'll be commissioning as an officer in May. My pull-ups need some serious work. I'm at 15-17 depending on the day and I need 23 to max the PFT. ETK encourages low rep, heavy weighted pull-ups in a 1:1 ratio with presses but I am curious as to whether it is advisable to do 2-3 times the number of presses for my pull-ups. Say 1 press, 2 pull-ups, 2 presses, 4 pull-ups, etc. with a lighter weight or no weight. Or should I just add my ladders after I'm totally done with presses for the day?

What are everyone's thoughts on adding higher volume, endurance focused pull-up training to the Rite of Passage?

Thanks!

Welcome and thanks for your service! I would look closely at @pet' recommendations for pull-ups. One look at his training log and you'll see he's a pull-up machine...

Hello,

Reading the threads will give far more information than my post. However, I used 2 strategy to increase the number:
> GTG (using sets of 1/2 or 1/3 of my max)
> 3 times a week, 5 sets of max rep - 1 (to avoid failure) with low rest (25s)

In all cases, I did not build number with weights. Weights can help to a certain extent of course, but some specificity will here ensure you to get the standard.

You are pretty close to your goal anyway ! Sure there is not that much work to do ;) Good luck !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Okay, read these three:
  • Al Ciampa - Military Deployment Prep: A program for Harding the Soldier (or junior devil dog)
  • Eric Frohardt - What the Hell Effect Military Style. (yes, Navy guy wrote it but still an interesting real world insight)
  • Pavel - A Kettlebell Simple & Sinister Excerpt (esp the Victor part at the bottom).
Efficient, effective, thoughtful, balanced in risk/reward (maybe add consistent and moderate). Those are the themes that stand out and the ones you should incorporate in your training. Why am I telling you this? Because while I get the pull-up thing, I think the real value this forum can bring to you is elevate your overall knowledge. The authors above have been there and done that - some of the content doesn't sound very sexy but it's the stuff that will deliver you to TBS in the best condition you could be in for the challenges that face you.

Don't underestimate the benefits of the LSD work. You will have a fair amount of rucking, endless land nav, field exercises and graded endurance events. To the extent you're not knackered you'll preform better, impress your peers and the staff. Remember every event (every minute actually...) is graded in the sense that you are forming the reputation that will follow you to the fleet and you will be ranked in your company which will figure heavily in MOS selection.

Would defer to Al since he does this for a living, but I think some LSD and the S&S simple goal would be a good starting point. Maybe swap deads for swings 1x per week, or every 5 days or so if you feel you need to. IMO it's too early to go nuts on pull-ups - just find a sane way to add reps - be consistent and the max will come.

Drop Al @aciampi a line - well worth it - he does this for real and I think he has some guides and manuals that you can mooch / purchase from him. Very thoughtful guy - a little wisdom from him will go a long way in your training.

Good luck, S/F and really great your here - you can learn a lot if you let yourself.

Okay, read these three:
  • Al Ciampa - Military Deployment Prep: A program for Harding the Soldier (or junior devil dog)
  • Eric Frohardt - What the Hell Effect Military Style. (yes, Navy guy wrote it but still an interesting real world insight)
  • Pavel - A Kettlebell Simple & Sinister Excerpt (esp the Victor part at the bottom).
Efficient, effective, thoughtful, balanced in risk/reward (maybe add consistent and moderate). Those are the themes that stand out and the ones you should incorporate in your training. Why am I telling you this? Because while I get the pull-up thing, I think the real value this forum can bring to you is elevate your overall knowledge. The authors above have been there and done that - some of the content doesn't sound very sexy but it's the stuff that will deliver you to TBS in the best condition you could be in for the challenges that face you.

Don't underestimate the benefits of the LSD work. You will have a fair amount of rucking, endless land nav, field exercises and graded endurance events. To the extent you're not knackered you'll preform better, impress your peers and the staff. Remember every event (every minute actually...) is graded in the sense that you are forming the reputation that will follow you to the fleet and you will be ranked in your company which will figure heavily in MOS selection.

Would defer to Al since he does this for a living, but I think some LSD and the S&S simple goal would be a good starting point. Maybe swap deads for swings 1x per week, or every 5 days or so if you feel you need to. IMO it's too early to go nuts on pull-ups - just find a sane way to add reps - be consistent and the max will come.

Drop Al @aciampi a line - well worth it - he does this for real and I think he has some guides and manuals that you can mooch / purchase from him. Very thoughtful guy - a little wisdom from him will go a long way in your training.

Good luck, S/F and really great your here - you can learn a lot if you let yourself.

Thank you very much for the thought you put into that reply. I appreciate your guidance and I will look into those articles.

My OSO has asked me and another recent PLC graduate to run PT for some applicants who are at a very low fitness level right now. So I will probably get my calisthenics/running from that and throw S&S on top of it for now until I hit simple. Semper Fi

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom