all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Philosophy behind training with "ladders"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
What is the purpose of "ladders" in strength training?

(In case I'm using the term incorrectly, I'm thinking of the idea of performing sets with, for example, 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1 reps in consecutive sets.)

Is there any special reason for doing this as opposed to, say, 5-5-5 reps? Is it for variety, or are there physiological benefits?

Thanks.

Ladders let you accumulate reps with minimal fatigue. A 1-5 ladder is "easier" than 3x5, for the same number of reps. One could probably do 5 ladders of 5 rungs (75 reps) with much more control and less fatigue than 15x5.

Ladders let you accumulate reps with minimal fatigue. A 1-5 ladder is "easier" than 3x5, for the same number of reps. One could probably do 5 ladders of 5 rungs (75 reps) with much more control and less fatigue than 15x5.
This.
It's a way to get in more volume with a certain weight.

I think @Steve Freides can tell you more precisely why 1-2-3-4-5 is better than 5-4-3-2-1.

An article by Dan John about ladders: The Best Training Method You're Not Using | T Nation

54321 is back off sets. 12345 means it gets harder each set, not easier. Varying the rep count with every set is a proven strategy for strength - it's the right kind of variety to keep the body guessing a little, and therefore arguably better than 5 sets of the same length.

JMO.

-S-

Hello,

Ladders permits you to get a last set virtually harder because you are already a little tired. Nonetheless, it gives you a more important training volume which remains not exhausting and permits to work heavy. For instance, a ladder of 3 can be done more or less with a 5RM. Then you can focus on technique

Kind regards,

Pet'

Ladders = relatively lots of reps with relatively heavy weight. Volume/intensity win-win!

Hello,

Ladders become also pretty tough when one uses bodyweight only. For instance, a ladder of 3 with a pistol or a OAOL PU, one can not adjust the weight we used. However, when we use weights (for instance bench), we can decide before starting the ladder, to use the right weight to make it perfectly managable at the last ladder.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have a question for ladders and timing. I'm not clear on how long one should rest between reps or sets.

Eg I'm currently in my fifth week of simple heavy day/less heavy cycles. My heavy day consists of 4 sets of 5 reps at my 5-6 rep max, resting 3-4 minutes between sets - about 15-20 minutes per movement, two exercises and some warmups.

If I sub this out for 1,2,3 ladders X 3 run throughs, how much of a pause between reps do I use, and do I keep the longer pause between sets?

This will give me 18 reps as opposed to the current 20, and depending on pacing I might wind up with fewer reps over longer duration. Ideally I'd like to hit 4 progressions and give myself 24 reps but am starting to run into time constraints...depending on how long the rest periods are supposed to be.

Another question as a direct example to my session, say I am doing one hand overhead KB press and double front squat as my two strength exercises. Do I maintain the load in the rack between reps in the ladder or do I set the KBs down for a short break?

I have a question for ladders and timing. I'm not clear on how long one should rest between reps or sets.

Eg I'm currently in my fifth week of simple heavy day/less heavy cycles. My heavy day consists of 4 sets of 5 reps at my 5-6 rep max, resting 3-4 minutes between sets - about 15-20 minutes per movement, two exercises and some warmups.

If I sub this out for 1,2,3 ladders X 3 run throughs, how much of a pause between reps do I use, and do I keep the longer pause between sets?

This will give me 18 reps as opposed to the current 20, and depending on pacing I might wind up with fewer reps over longer duration. Ideally I'd like to hit 4 progressions and give myself 24 reps but am starting to run into time constraints...depending on how long the rest periods are supposed to be.

Another question as a direct example to my session, say I am doing one hand overhead KB press and double front squat as my two strength exercises. Do I maintain the load in the rack between reps in the ladder or do I set the KBs down for a short break?
"I go, you go" I believe is the recommended procedure. Pretend you have a training partner. If not, but you have a clock or timer, note the start and end time for the set, then rest about as long. As long as needed to be fresh.

"I go, you go" I believe is the recommended procedure. Pretend you have a training partner. If not, but you have a clock or timer, note the start and end time for the set, then rest about as long. As long as needed to be fresh.
Thanks!
This is pretty much what I had understood from reading up, but the rest period is almost too short to justify setting the KB down between sets.

This might just take some experimenting.

@North Coast Miller, "I go, you go" is the default but, like anything, it can be adjusted to suit your purposes. Less rest for more hypertrophy, more rest for pure strength. E.g., I typically did my ROP in almost GTG fashion, walking out of the room after doing the rung of 2 leaving 5 minutes or more between rungs, and even more between ladders. Towards the end, doing this became my afternoon, with work at my desk in between rungs and ladders.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom